ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Helmet Head OP
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Rewiring Euro Headlight Switch?

I just got around to installing the 'European' headlight switch.

Question...

I remember reading somewhere in passing that someone rewired the pins on the Molex connector to change what the switch did (but now I can't find it, and I don't think it had instructions anyway). I would like to do this if possible, to use the switch for my aux. lights instead of the cheap-ass switch they came with (not to mention how high-speed it would be to have them all in one place... ).

So, the Euro switch has three positions:

1) All lights off

2) Parking light only on

3) Parking light and headlight(s) on

Basically, I would like to rewire the switch so that it would now do this:

1) All lights off

2) Headlight(s) only on

3) Parking light and headlight(s) on

I don't need the actual parking light (what does anyone do with this, anyway???), and could then use the power from the parking light wire to power the switch relay on the aux. lights. So, then when I hit position 3, the aux. lights would come on.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is this ridiculously easy or ridiculously complicated and not worth the effort?

Cheers!
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,873
If you have access to a service manual, you can see the park lamp is just tapping off the tail lights. To disable it would take removing the bulb. You could use that wire to drive the aux lamp relay if you want them on whenever you have the lights on. I don't see a simple way to rewire the whole thing. The light switching is done with a combination of both the Euro and the High-low switch. The tails and park lamp are "back-fed" from the H-L switch in lights on position.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Helmet Head OP

Thank you, but I know all that part. I know I read a post where someone had rewired what wires went into which pin to change the functionality of the switch, I just can't find the bleedin' post now...

Anyone?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
fridayn2
RFV Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Talk to this guy

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.paochow.com/990/990ele.php
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Here Ya Go,,,

The light switch is 3 position: Off - parking light - headlight & parking light.

The red/yellow stripe wire is common (power in)

The white wire is connected to the common (red/yellow) when in parking light & headlight position.

The yellow/white stripe wire is connected to the common (red/yellow) when in parking light position only.

Parking light setting is required in Europe, hence European headlight switch

spafxer
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Helmet Head OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayn2
I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.paochow.com/990/990ele.php
Thank you! I sent him an e-mail and hopefully he can sort me out...

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

In your OP you wanted Parking light on in #3. He is not . That is what made it difficult for me to figure out.
Make a wiring diagram and post it when you are done for us to follow in the future. Could get it added to the HOW.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Helmet Head OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
In your OP you wanted Parking light on in #3. He is not . That is what made it difficult for me to figure out.
Make a wiring diagram and post it when you are done for us to follow in the future. Could get it added to the HOW.
Who is the "he" you're referring to? If it's the guy in the paochow.com website, he does have it wired exactly how I want.

Maybe what's confusing you is my use of the term "parking light" in the first post. I'm not talking about the actual bulb, I just mean the functions of the switch and the power that goes to the parking light (which I would be using to power the switch relay for the aux. lights). Sorry if that wasn't clear...

And, yes, if I get it done, I will post clear instructions for other to follow if they so desire!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 795
Hh

please do post clear instructions and pictures. i want to do the same thing but i am a bit slow when it comes to doing stuff like this.
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Who is the "he" you're referring to? If it's the guy in the paochow.com website, he does have it wired exactly how I want.

Maybe what's confusing you is my use of the term "parking light" in the first post. I'm not talking about the actual bulb, I just mean the functions of the switch and the power that goes to the parking light (which I would be using to power the switch relay for the aux. lights). Sorry if that wasn't clear...

And, yes, if I get it done, I will post clear instructions for other to follow if they so desire!
Yeah, It was your (he) OP that got me confused. I was looking too literally at your request. Yeah post up how you finally get it done. I would be interested in that as well, if a simple move of a couple wires.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

I was reading thru the HOW and found a little ditty about this mod.
Did anybody come up with a simple diagram for this? I still would like to do the pin swapping to use the headlights switch for my aux lights.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,534
Indeed. Reading through this, it looks like a very clean way to hook up additional lights. I'd sure appreciate a diagram and/or step-by-step instructions.

HelmetHead- if you hear back from Paochow, I'd sure appreciate it if you posted up any instructions he shares with you (assuming that's OK).

Dad2Bike- I looked through the HOW and didn't find what you were talking about. Link?

Thanks,
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Way down this page. Lot's of neet stuff on the page too.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,534
Dad2 bike- Got it. Thanks for that. Too bad there's no 'how to' though. The swapping pins doesn't sound too tough. What's got me wondering is how/where the wires for aux lights would attach. When I did the Euro switch, if I remember correctly, it was plug/play in to the factory wiring for the Euro headlight. How/where would you tap in for aux lights? I've got to pull the plastics and replace a leaking valve cover gasket. I'll make a point of checking out the wiring for the headlight, see if I can see any indications of where to tap in.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
Hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
On mine I just taped into the blue wire right off the head light,that way your aux. light's will come on with the bright lights. Hope this helps.
Dave in Reno
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote