User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Ballistic or shorai batt tester!

This is a Battery Voltage/Cell tester that plugs directly into the Ballistic or Shorai diagnostic/BMS Ports at the top of the batteries. Basically telling you overall voltage, and reads off individual cell voltage. LIMITED TIME FREE SHIPPING!

Why is this important? LiFePO4 Batteries have proven great for most riders riding motorcycles with healthy charging systems or who take the extra care to make sure the batteries are left fully charged by a BMS Charger if not. If you aren't sure, this is a cheap way to monitor the battery. You can keep the connector cable hooked up and zip tie it outside the bike for quick checking (In many cases, depending on battery location)... Yes it's kind of cheap looking, but works great. Beats the heck out of junking a $200 battery.

And you can use:

KOTW2012 for a 10%Off Coupon Code:

Here's a vid of the tester without the cable connector in action.

Price $12.95 THESE ARE NOW FREE WHEN YOU BUY ANY BATTERY 8 CELL AND UP!

herrhelmet screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 06:26 PM
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Price?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Price?

$12.95. sorry
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Purchase link

How long is the cable?.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
Purchase link

How long is the cable?.
http://shop.testsycl.com/MOTOLOGOS_c3.htm

The web address at the bottom of my sig takes you there too.

The cable is 20.5 cm.

Just an FYI regarding diagnostic / BMS ports. It's true in some other posts that the Shorai and Ballistic batteries sometimes refer to them as BMS or Battery Management System Ports. I cannot speak about the Shorai, however the Ballistic BMS Chargers really to balance the cells.

In a perfect world, (ie. Racing with skilled race techs) you would keep your battery charged at it's maximum float charge whether a total loss ignition or the bike's charging system.

However, the purpose of Sycl Batteries is to deal with the not-so-perfect world of adventure riding which means that a LOT of riders are riding bikes with weak or marginal charging systems.

I know of many cases that include ALL and I mean ALL of the battery manufacturers batteries failing due to this. There's been some real testing by inmates on the subject, and I have taken this into account. The BMW F800 owners know all about this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790532

Got to the link on the second post.

So it's actually a good thing that the Shorai, Ballistic and Sycl Batteries have these diagnostic ports. The chargers are a bit expensive tricky to use, but do work.

The tester shown on the first post is somewhat simple and crude, but cheap insurance.

Next step... Let's bring the prices down on these batteries while improving build quality.

Guess what. We did.

www.syclbatt.com
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
have a Ballistic batt in one of my bikes,, love it

payment sent

thanks
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Fyi

Just an FYI that the diagnostic ports are different between the Ballistic/Shorai and the new Sycl batteries.

Please specify what type of battery and we will supply the correct connector cable.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 548
Could I leave this connected to my Shorai battery all the time to us as a dash mount voltmeter? Yes I would make an enclosure.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Could I leave this connected to my Shorai battery all the time to us as a dash mount voltmeter? Yes I would make an enclosure.

I think you would have a small parasitic drain if you left it hooked up. We have a cheap fully sealed voltmeter on the site for sale $17.95 + the KOTW2012 10% off discount code...

It's only a two wire, but I have it hooked up to my neutral light so it won't drain when the bike's off. Works great.

...for the Diagnostic Voltage tester I would leave the cable hooked up to the Shorai and zip tie it to the side of the bike and you could check the cell balance whenever you want.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Now free with battery purchase

Offer is good for ADV inmates only.

10% off coupon code KOTW2012

or FREE WHEN YOU BUY ANY BATTERY 8 CELL AND UP!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
ordered the tester with the connector cable

plugged into port & ziptied the cable to frame

i can check the cells weekly for balance without checking with the balance charger

cool item

thanks

D.
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
DrWez
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 93
Ballistic Batteries Suck

I recently experimented with at Ballistic LiFeO4 (lithium ion) battery. Ballistic Performance Components recommended a 12 cell EVO2 battery for my 2010 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. This battery would not reliably turn my engine over especially when the temperature was lower than 50 F. The dealer arranged a replacement for me to try again. This one too was too weak to crank over my 1200 cc boxer engine.
After speaking with Ballistic, the owner himself replaced my 12 cell battery with the 16 cell battery. This worked ok but still had some problems when the temperature dropped below 35 F.
On a recent long distance trip (Iron Butt ride), the 16 cell battery suddenly failed and would not even turn over my engine. After returning the battery to Ballistic Performance Components, I was told that the battery was full of water and had been submersed in water (opinion of owner -Chip). The water caused the battery to short out. Now it is useless after 10 months and would not be covered under warranty.
Here is the problem... My 16 cell battery was never submersed in water! In fact my bike was not even washed in this time period. I ride every day rain or shine. The owner-Chip could not tell me why the water was in the battery other than it MUST have been submersed in water. I believe that there was a flaw in the battery design with the socket on the top of the battery for balancing the cells. Or there was some unseen flaw in the plastic housing such as a crack or poor weld that allowed wheel spray into the battery. For example, as the battery was mounted in my GS Adventure, it is at the approximate level with the air intake snorkel. Now, one would think that I would have bigger problems than the battery if I had submersed the bike to a level above the battery (and air snorkel). Yes, I would have aspirated water into the engine. How could I have started an Iron Butt ride and have the battery fail after 500 miles. I don't believe my bike would have made it that far!!!
How can Ballistic Performance Components sell a product that is advertised as impact and water resistant and that can be mounted in any position for any power sport? Evidently, this battery is not ready for prime time! Do not purchase!
IBA 56882
DrWez is offline   Reply With Quote