ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Video game addicts...

I've got a wad of birthday cash burning a hole in my pocket.


I've decided I'm going to burn it on a new XBOX game.

Off the top of my head I'm interested in Fallout 3 and GTA 4, but there's others that catch my fancy occasionally too. Help me decide. I'm kind of in the mood to add another shooter but with more depth than L4D and more gritty and less spacy than Mass Effect.



My current library consists of.

Ace Combat 6
Forza 2
Left 4 Dead
Project Gotham Racing 3
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Saints Row
Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix (wife's I swear)
Lost: Via Domus (also my wife's)

...There's a couple of others in there too I can't think of, but you get the idea.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Charla
Tamalamian
 
Charla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 26,025
Fallout 3 grabbed me and didn't let go. I hope you have a lot of spare time if you go that route the hours just seemed to evaporate when I was playing it.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!
 
Silver King's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Saint Rosie, California
Oddometer: 1,801
Resident Evil 5?
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
ThePikeman
German n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Berlin
Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
Fallout 3 grabbed me and didn't let go. I hope you have a lot of spare time if you go that route the hours just seemed to evaporate when I was playing it.
+1 on this.

The area you walk in is simply gigantic. Tends to be a bit of a mood downer sometimes, but postnuclear war worlds probably have to look a bit depressive.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
XPADREX
Funslinger
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 7,891
I gad GTA IV on order. 20 minutes later, I loaned it to a friend.

Free advice: pick up a used copy of Gears of War. I grew addicted to the online, playing two or three hours a night. Had 64 people on my Live friends list who also were into team play- it was awesome. Stood in line for Gears 2, which isn't so awesome for online play.

People now seem to use their XBOX as a Netflix player.

I'm currently playing Dead Space, which is pretty good- very Half Life 2-esque.

I still love to get on and play Gears 1 online, though. A lot.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
Resident Evil 5?
Though I have 4. I never really caught on to the whole rsident evil thing. I'll take another look at 5 again though.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
XPADREX
Funslinger
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman
+1 on this.

The area you walk in is simply gigantic. Tends to be a bit of a mood downer sometimes, but postnuclear war worlds probably have to look a bit depressive.

I need to rent it. I was told it was like Oblivion, which I felt was large- but boring large. As in "let's walk through this forest for no reason other than the world is large." Is this a valid assessment?

BTW- I've been hitting up Gamestop for a host of used games- I'm much more forgiving anymore when they cost me $20 - $30 rather than $60.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I gad GTA IV on order. 20 minutes later, I loaned it to a friend.

Free advice: pick up a used copy of Gears of War. I grew addicted to the online, playing two or three hours a night. Had 64 people on my Live friends list who also were into team play- it was awesome. Stood in line for Gears 2, which isn't so awesome for online play.

People now seem to use their XBOX as a Netflix player.

I'm currently playing Dead Space, which is pretty good- very Half Life 2-esque.

I still love to get on and play Gears 1 online, though. A lot.
I had gears of war. Fantastic game, but I don't play often enough anymore (I still enjoy playing) and am too cheap of a bastard to pay for XBOX online, it was too short of a game after I played it through a couple of times. I sold it a few months ago so I could get L4D.

Dead space looks really cool though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
BTW- I've been hitting up Gamestop for a host of used games- I'm much more forgiving anymore when they cost me $20 - $30 rather than $60.
I was doing that for a while about a year ago. I'd get onto amazon and spend maybe $30 on 10 games for PS2 or N64 that I could never afford when they came out.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Charla
Tamalamian
 
Charla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 26,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I need to rent it. I was told it was like Oblivion, which I felt was large- but boring large. As in "let's walk through this forest for no reason other than the world is large." Is this a valid assessment?

BTW- I've been hitting up Gamestop for a host of used games- I'm much more forgiving anymore when they cost me $20 - $30 rather than $60.
I've never played Oblivion but Fallout 3 has that "I wonder what's over that hill?" thing going for it. There is a ton of stuff to check out.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I've never played Oblivion but Fallout 3 has that "I wonder what's over that hill?" thing going for it. There is a ton of stuff to check out.
This is one of those things I like.

I'm sure it's boringly big sometimes, but I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl when it came out and I loved the open world (even though it was divided into sections) and how you could approach any base or camp an infinite number of ways or just happen to stumble upon special guns or whatever in some random corner of a map. Also, this game was fantastic at creating a creepy atmosphere in the underground bases, etc.

Infact, even with it's mediocre graphics for when it came out. I really liked that game and I'm sort of looking for a modern replacement for it. I know they made a sequel, but it looks like they really didn't change anything from the first time.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 03:53 PM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,493
COD World at War.
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Charla
Tamalamian
 
Charla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 26,025
Ben is pretty picky about the games he will play. He liked Fallout 3 as much as I did, but he's not so hot on the full on shooter games like Halo.

I picked up a used copy of Mass Effect and he's enjoying that but it's a little sterile. He likes the combo Role Play & Shooter style but prefers killing aliens and mutants rather than humans, unless they're really evil humans.

Anyone have any suggestions for other titles he might like?
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
One thing I do want to know about Fallout 3 is are there any mutants in the game. I know there's like mutant people, but I mean something less sentient, more monstery.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
XPADREX
Funslinger
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
Ben is pretty picky about the games he will play. He liked Fallout 3 as much as I did, but he's not so hot on the full on shooter games like Halo.

I picked up a used copy of Mass Effect and he's enjoying that but it's a little sterile. He likes the combo Role Play & Shooter style but prefers killing aliens and mutants rather than humans, unless they're really evil humans.

Anyone have any suggestions for other titles he might like?

There's a lot of puzzle solving as well as shooting of aliens in Dead Space- but it's a bit much for young kids. My 11 year-old I deemed okay to watch me play. He's a great helper as we solve quests. I'm realy liking it, though- we play it as a team. It's probably more fun for me with the controlled than him, but we have a ball. He has his own games, dammit!

I'm going to have to checkout Fallout 3 now.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I picked up a used copy of Mass Effect and he's enjoying that but it's a little sterile. He likes the combo Role Play & Shooter style but prefers killing aliens and mutants rather than humans, unless they're really evil humans.
This is true, I really like the game but it's a bit too sterile at times also.

So he's going for something inbetween halo free for all and mass effect sterile tactics?
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014