Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
John Nash OP
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 169
Mercedes E350 Bluetec

Any inmates own one of these newer diesels?
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
No but we researched them heavily. My wife was lusting after the GL SUV with the same powertrain. It's a sweet combo - torque rich and really quiet. The torque was my favorite part but we also were able to log upper 20's mpg on a test drive.

We ended up with a 2013 e350 wagon which is pretty slick and can log 27+ on the highway with a light foot on the throttle. This car with the diesel would be super nice, I imagine the sedan diesel is real nice.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...50-diesel-test
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
John Nash OP
Bluenoser

2012 E350 Bluetec

I traded my 2012 Passat TDi on this bluetec last week. Had 55K miles on the Passat and was quite happy with it until I saw this CPO E350 with 11K miles black on black.It is a tourqe monster 400pft.I drove it to Bethany Beach Delaware which is slow and flat 39mpg.The Passat got 48mpg on the same trip.

My first diesel MB was a 1980 300CD which I bought used for $7500.00 with 80K miles.Kept it 10 years..MB mechanic bought it from me with 340K miles on the car..only issue in ten years was a new starter. 1997 bought a new E300 diesel which I only kept 2 years due to a new company car.

So far this new MB is very enjoyable. Its a rocket on the highway with sport mode and paddle shifters.Don't need any speeding tickets.Looks like I will be doing my own service also.The MB dealership is crazy expensive!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 619
I have a 2011 GL350 and a 2012 Sprinter van, both with the same engines. So far so good. I can get 30mpg being careful and easily get 27mpg hwy/22 city. Really smoooth running engines.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
My buddy has a '10 (I think) ML350. He got it fairly recently and loves it. He tows his 7x16 enclosed v-nose (7 feet tall) with it and hardly notices it when towing, and that's with two race bikes, a pit bike, and more tools and crap than I would ever dream of bringing to the track.

I've towed that trailer with my Tundra and we were lucky to get 10 mpg at times. Hand calculations at the pump showed something like 8mpg towing on the relatively flat roads from Pensacola to Barber (I guess it's a slight up-hill, but not much). He's getting somewhere in the mid teens with the Mercedes.

edit: Oops...you're asking about the car, not the SUV. Well, maybe someone else will appreciate the info. ;)
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 235
My FIL has one. It's pretty sweet. I think he can approach 40 mpg on the highway if he is light footed.

It scoots too, if you want it to.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
My Wife drives the 2012 E350 gas engine model, I am amazed at its fuel mileage, a recent trip to Colorado from west Texas it got 31+ mpg. I hand calculated that too. I have stretched it to 131mph on our straight Texas roads, it shuts down at that speed, I know it would probably do 140 if it weren't for computer. Service is steep at dealer, last weeks B1 service and front alignment was $800. So far it has 17000 miles on it with no issues other than a rattle in dash that was fixed. 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 at a change, which for us is once a year. First Mercedes vehicle, so far so good. I want an AMG sedan, but cant afford new one and cant afford repairs on older one. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 at a change
Wow, that's a lot of oil for a midsize gas V6. Hopefully it's a sign that it's overbuilt and will last forever.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
John Nash OP
Bluenoser

Mobil 1 ESP 5W40

This E350 V6 Bluetec also takes 8.5 quarts of oil. I bought a Pela 6000 to suction oil out through the dipstick. Fuel and oil filters are also on top. I did all the service on my older 1980 300 CD except transmission & valve adjustments. Although cars today are much more technical in every way.Time will tell as they say!

I talked with my buddy yesterday who has a 2009 jetta sportwagon TDi with 170K miles.He just replaced the turbo at $2500.00, radio $700.00 & roughly $5000.00 in other service costs since new.Don said it will be the last VW he ever buys. I was very happy with my 2012 Passat TDi DSG..but it was still new when I traded it with only 55K miles.

My E350 Bluetec is two years old. MB dealer said as a CPO vehicle it has another 3 years unlimited mile warrenty.Thats a great warrenty if you drive alot doing service or sales.

Most of the replies have been from folks who have gasoline MB models.
Any newer Bluetec MB owners who can tell me about service.Dealer mentioned about trans servive at 40K costing $1200.00 I almost fell off my chair.Finance lady tried selling me the service package which I never have bought and never will..$1800.00 for three visits.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Checkout benzworld.org under the W212 section. If the DIY you need isn't there yet, ask the question.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I've had a 2013 E350 for about a year and 22000km. I'm still quite amazed by how much I like it. It's economical (7.2 ltr/100km, 40 mpg) over it's life and will get much better highway mileage. So far I've only been for one service which was expensive but the dealership is distant and offers a service loaner.
The car is quite comfortable with seats that fit us well (long seat pan, multi adjustable), quiet running and a very good sound system. It's got lots of the usual safety features like lane departure, park assist and blah blah blah. The one optional feature I like is the adaptive headlights. For night driving they are superb.
The steering feel is very good, the brake pedal feel is good, and the throttle response is very good. It's got plenty of torque for highway passing but does run out of steam at higher speeds.
As we live in a snowy place I considered waiting for the E250 as it has 4matic AWD but with proper snow tires the RWD is adequate.
So far so good, I anticipate keeping this car for a long time.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
John Nash OP
Bluenoser

Bluetec trans service

Called my nearest MB dealer today and gave them hell for not calling me back or emailing me with the quote I asked for last week on the trans service.He said they would do it for $300.00
Asked me for my VIN# and sent me it in writing...sweet!
Its not worth my time and effort to do this myself when benzworld.org site explained what was involved in doing the job.
Funny thing..MB dealer where I bought this CPO car said they charge $1200.00 for the service (close to DC)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 619
transmission service1

Big difference in dealers on the transmission service is if they drain the torque converter. It takes along time to drain but the transmission holds 8 liters of fluid and you only get about 2.5 out the drain pan so if you do not drain the torque converter you are not really changing much of the fluid.

In the dealers I have discussed this with they are usually like "you do not really have to drain the torque converter", so double check with them. Ask for your old TC drain plug.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
John Nash OP
Bluenoser

trans service

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
Big difference in dealers on the transmission service is if they drain the torque converter. It takes along time to drain but the transmission holds 8 liters of fluid and you only get about 2.5 out the drain pan so if you do not drain the torque converter you are not really changing much of the fluid.

In the dealers I have discussed this with they are usually like "you do not really have to drain the torque converter", so double check with them. Ask for your old TC drain plug.
I had my 2012 VW Passat DSG trans flushed and refilled with OEM DSG fluid. You are so right..alot of dealers just drain it and mix the new fluid with the old..really .. whats the point in even doing it if you are going to half ass the job!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: