User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Gundecker OP
aka fng

Oddometer: 106
BMW Z3. I know nothing.

A guy has one on CL he wants to trade for a sport bike. 1996 with 170 k on the clock. Got more info on it and he gave a long list of new stuff and work done. Tell me the good and the bad.
I've got a '01 Hayabusa with 35K on it. Worth near the same according to KBB.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,647
Don't leave the top down and/or the windows open!

Have a buddy who's wife left it by the curb with the top down. Wasn't supposed to rain, but the automatic sprinklers came on. Soaked the interior. Apparently, everything electrical runs on a bus through the infotainment system (not totally unlike recent BMW m/c's). Well, guess what failed. And guess what's costing nearly a grand to fix.

Fun as heck to drive and ride in, though!

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Should be a fun car but try to find a m-roadster and you will not be dissapointed at all.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
The Z3 M with the E52 , 3.2 is the one you want. Check the anti freeze, it should not be green. The green stuff will rot the plastics in the cooling system.

Mike Ryder screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 05:56 PM
Mike Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,449
The M, either version is a lot more car, but the standard Z3 isn't too bad. I liked the 2.8L I had....until I got the M, but it was a great car. Cramped as hell for my 6'5" frame, but I made it work. The Z3 had a very dated suspension on it, a gen behind the 3 series of the time, so lots of body roll, but it was also back when BMW still made cars that were fun to drive.

Hassles are things like the back window, which is plastic, and gets folded when you put the top down. It get scratched with any grit that's on it. If you are good about cleaning it, and stuff a rolled towl back there when you put the top down, it helps keep it in shape. I would leave the top down for weeks at a time here, but then, it never rains.

Spendy to get anything fixed, so know what you're getting into. Something that sounds relatively simple can easily be a $900 job at a dealer.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Gundecker OP
aka fng

Thanks! That's more than I had.I'm somewhat familiar with quirky German engineering. Owning a R100rt, I sometimes think:'What were they thinking?' Or what was I thinking.?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,560
I believe that's the four cylinder. Keep the Hayabusa it will be more fun.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Sort of like a small sports car built as a hybrid between the e36 and e46 in mechanicals.

Even if antifreeze is Blue - many of the cooling system parts will probably still crack - ever since the e46 I own a radiator pressure testing kit, but mostly SOP is to replace any part that isn't already replaced since they will overheat and cook the head long before the low antifreeze light alarms you.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
Gundecker OP
aka fng

The owner says all the hoses , belts and "gaskets" have been replaced recently. Oddly,the CL posting had five pics but none of the engine bay. Interior looks nice. I'm not a car guy as in I just don't get excited about them. Are these German Miatas? Not trolling I swear!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
I've never driven the convertible but I have driven the coupe version. I really didn't care for it too much. My S2000 did everything better. I'd just get a miata and save the money and maintenance costs if you really want a cheap fun to drive convertible.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I had a '99 2.5L for a year or two, liked it OK but it was kinda bland and did not excite me for long....had hoped it would be a modern take on a 6 cyl. British sports car but that was not the case. FWIW am currently driving a Triumph TR6 and like it waaay better though on paper it is inferior to the Z3 in every way.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I've never driven the convertible but I have driven the coupe version. I really didn't care for it too much. My S2000 did everything better. I'd just get a miata and save the money and maintenance costs if you really want a cheap fun to drive convertible.

I don't know how tall the OP might be, but I can fit in a Z3. I can't fit in a Miata. The Z3 doesn't have a lot of room, but it's a better fit for long legs and torsos.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Hassles are things like the back window, which is plastic, and gets folded when you put the top down. It get scratched with any grit that's on it. If you are good about cleaning it, and stuff a rolled towl back there when you put the top down, it helps keep it in shape.
Don't know if it would work as well on the Z, but I used a cut length of foam swim noodle to roll the plastic window over on my Miata.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Pretty sure they are known for having shitty electrical systems. Poke around about it.
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I don't know how tall the OP might be, but I can fit in a Z3. I can't fit in a Miata. The Z3 doesn't have a lot of room, but it's a better fit for long legs and torsos.
+1, that is partly why I bought a Z3, at 6'1" 200lbs. was not comfortable in gen 1 or 2 Miatas when I test drove them but was in the Z3 (FWIW a gen 3 Miata was a good fit for me)
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: