Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #1576
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Maybe I'll get to play MGS4 after all.

It's not like the PS3 game. Basically, MGS4 Touch is a shooting game. It's also a PITA since you have to aim with you finger. Then when you want to use a scope you have to pinch the screen. The enemy has a delay so they are shooting you right when they pop put. Think Hogan's Alley.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #1577
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
It's not like the PS3 game. Basically, MGS4 Touch is a shooting game. It's also a PITA since you have to aim with you finger. Then when you want to use a scope you have to pinch the screen. The enemy has a delay so they are shooting you right when they pop put. Think Hogan's Alley.
I was joking.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #1578
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
I'm playing through Dirt 2 on XBOX 360. I was a little nervious at first as I believe that the original DIRT was one of the best racers ever made and is in my all time top 5 list.

The first couple of sessions I was starting to wonder if Codemasters sold out to the lowest common denominator and made it too arcade-ish. I don't care for the ultra sim racers like Gran Tourismo. I like the games that straddle the line between arcade and sim. The first DIRT was really good at this.

There is a ton of Baja type stuff in the game that really grates. I wish CodeMasters would have stayed away from the Baja scene. It's so played out and non-relevent. They should have stuck with Rally only.

But as I'm playing through the career mode it's looking like there should be plenty of traditional rally and rallycross to make the game worthwhile. I really don't like the amount of time it takes you to work your way though the menus after you finish a race to get to the next race. The whole RV concept was a good idea but just ends up adding too much extra navigation and clicks to get on to the next race. Right away I turned the music in the game down to 0. These guys need to realize that just because we are into dirt sports doesn't mean we are also into the garbage XGAMES Emo music that follows the sport around.

The rally races so far are way to short and I haven't raced any stage type rally races. I hope it's only because I haven't advanced far enough in the career to start unlocking the longer stuff.

Graphics, gameplay, all that stuff is best of breed for this generation.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #1579
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,296
Killzone

picked it up from the bargain bin, decent FPS.

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #1580
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
I just bought Jesse James's Baja rig on Dirt 2. It's fast!
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #1581
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,744
Thanks for the review KellyC. I'm with you on Dirt being the standard and liking a balance between full racing sim and dopey arcade racer. I'll probably pick up Dirt 2 when the snow starts to fly. I want to get a driving wheel too, I'm sick of driving with the little mushroom joystick.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #1582
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Okay... On the Batman game.

I've only had about two hours with it. It's... um... Okay.

I kinda wish I had picked it up used on eBay or from the used games bin at GameStop or something.

Just to give you a frame of reference (and this is solely my opinion), for me the benchmark for this type of game is Gears of War 1 & 2, followed closely by the Halo series.

For me, the Batman play isn't as intuitive and doesn't seem as "robust" as GOW. I'm not sure how to describe it.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #1583
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
Thanks for the review KellyC. I'm with you on Dirt being the standard and liking a balance between full racing sim and dopey arcade racer. I'll probably pick up Dirt 2 when the snow starts to fly. I want to get a driving wheel too, I'm sick of driving with the little mushroom joystick.
Have the driving wheels improved over the last 10 yrs? I bought the best one available then and hated it.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #1584
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Okay... On the Batman game.

I've only had about two hours with it. It's... um... Okay.

I kinda wish I had picked it up used on eBay or from the used games bin at GameStop or something.

Just to give you a frame of reference (and this is solely my opinion), for me the benchmark for this type of game is Gears of War 1 & 2, followed closely by the Halo series.

For me, the Batman play isn't as intuitive and doesn't seem as "robust" as GOW. I'm not sure how to describe it.
How are you comparing it to FPSs?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #1585
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
How are you comparing it to FPSs?

That's kinda what it is, right?

It almost feels like a cross between a FPS and a 3D platformer.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #1586
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,998
Quote:
That's kinda what it is, right?

It almost feels like a cross between a FPS and a 3D platformer.
Isn't it more hand to hand combat rather than shooting?
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #1587
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
Isn't it more hand to hand combat rather than shooting?
Oh, yah.

But in my mind, that's not significantly different than a FPS. FPH2HC?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #1588
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Oh, yah.

But in my mind, that's not significantly different than a FPS. FPH2HC?
I suck at shooters because I have a hard time spotting the baddies that are hitting me from a long distance away. I start spinning around wildly yelling "Where the fuck IS that guy!"
Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #1589
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I suck at shooters because I have a hard time spotting the baddies that are hitting me from a long distance away. I start spinning around wildly yelling "Where the fuck IS that guy!"

My problem with the Batman game is it seems to "autotarget"(?) baddies and while I'm trying to put a supa-max-atomic-whirling-ninja-kick combo on some bad-guy's ass, it'll shift to the badguy who's a little closer. Totally blows my smoove-groove.

I haven't gotten the hang of countering or curb-stomping some guy who's already down, yet.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #1590
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:

My problem with the Batman game is it seems to "autotarget"(?) baddies and while I'm trying to put a supa-max-atomic-whirling-ninja-kick combo on some bad-guy's ass, it'll shift to the badguy who's a little closer. Totally blows my smoove-groove.

I haven't gotten the hang of countering or curb-stomping some guy who's already down, yet.
They have Batman doing curb-stomps??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: