Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #2626
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
I played around with the wiring to keep it clean. The only thing I don't like is the two thick cables coming from the sound card to to the top bay, controller but that can be hidden once the video card is in. I'm hoping the water cooler comes in today then I'll be able to run the leak tests tonight and maybe have it up and running tomorrow. I'll probably also get a fan controller so I can spin down all of these fans. I also would like to get some foam sound insulation since the panels are thin and there is a lot of room in the case.

Nicely done. Word of caution on the foam - if it keeps sound in, it keeps heat in and not all of the components are cooled by the liquid system. If you want to get it quiet, try to replace the smaller fins with one really big one. a big one at slow speed will move just as much air as a small one spinning fast
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #2627
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
Nicely done. Word of caution on the foam - if it keeps sound in, it keeps heat in and not all of the components are cooled by the liquid system. If you want to get it quiet, try to replace the smaller fins with one really big one. a big one at slow speed will move just as much air as a small one spinning fast
Thanks! Had a problem when the computer toppled over then slide off the bed and smacked into my Sidi ADV box and landed upside down. Bent the plate that holds the PSU but fixed it.

There is only one 120mm fan. All of the other fans are 230mm. So, I'm hoping it will be quiet. I probably won't have to to resort to foam.

I missed the Mailman as my doorbell sticks and it did not go off. I was waiting for it all day too. So now I have to drive to town and pick it up tomorrow morning. Then I'll be able to get it set up. This will be my first liquid cooling bit I have a good idea what I need to do. Set it up, cut the hoses then clamp them and run the pump to fill the system and check for leaks... I'm also hoping to be able to keep the two top 230mm's and mount the radiator under them. Them either remove the two 120's or have them hang below. Then hopefully get it all running by the weekend.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #2628
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Thanks! Had a problem when the computer toppled over then slide off the bed and smacked into my Sidi ADV box and landed upside down. Bent the plate that holds the PSU but fixed it.

There is only one 120mm fan. All of the other fans are 230mm. So, I'm hoping it will be quiet. I probably won't have to to resort to foam.

I missed the Mailman as my doorbell sticks and it did not go off. I was waiting for it all day too. So now I have to drive to town and pick it up tomorrow morning. Then I'll be able to get it set up. This will be my first liquid cooling bit I have a good idea what I need to do. Set it up, cut the hoses then clamp them and run the pump to fill the system and check for leaks... I'm also hoping to be able to keep the two top 230mm's and mount the radiator under them. Them either remove the two 120's or have them hang below. Then hopefully get it all running by the weekend.
You should be able to crank the 230s way down since you only have to cool the PSU and drives. I assume the wet cooler handles the CPU, GPU and northbridge. The biguns (12cm or 250mm) on my machine make barely a hiss at full chat and keep the cpu well under 30c at idle over 40c is unusual. The cpu and gpu fans are way louder at full chat.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #2629
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
You should be able to crank the 230s way down since you only have to cool the PSU and drives. I assume the wet cooler handles the CPU, GPU and northbridge. The biguns (12cm or 250mm) on my machine make barely a hiss at full chat and keep the cpu well under 30c at idle over 40c is unusual. The cpu and gpu fans are way louder at full chat.
Actually the PSU is on the bottom and gets it's air from below the case and blows it right out the back so there shouldn't be much heat from it. The liquid cooling will only cool the CPU for now. The GPU and Northbridge are on their own. Heatsinks only on the Northbridge. I might add the 120mm fan and dust that attaches over the PCI slots. It pulls air from the cards so heat doesn't migrate up. I only have one HD so the 230mm on the front should move enough air. This case is really nice how they arranged the fans. I'd like to have the chipset liquid cooled but I'll need to find a block. Same goes for the GPU. The one I've seen aren't cheap.

The case also has provisions to add a 120 to the floor and 2 120's to the HD rack. I doubt I'll be taking adgantage of those mounts though.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #2630
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Actually the PSU is on the bottom and gets it's air from below the case and blows it right out the back so there shouldn't be much heat from it. The liquid cooling will only cool the CPU for now. The GPU and Northbridge are on their own. Heatsinks only on the Northbridge. I might add the 120mm fan and dust that attaches over the PCI slots. It pulls air from the cards so heat doesn't migrate up. I only have one HD so the 230mm on the front should move enough air. This case is really nice how they arranged the fans. I'd like to have the chipset liquid cooled but I'll need to find a block. Same goes for the GPU. The one I've seen aren't cheap.

The case also has provisions to add a 120 to the floor and 2 120's to the HD rack. I doubt I'll be taking adgantage of those mounts though.

Based on that, the GPU fan will be the loudest source of noise. get one of the good temp monitor apps and see how it goes. You should be able to tune the GPU fan down to a good balance between RPM and temp through software.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #2631
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Based on that, the GPU fan will be the loudest source of noise. get one of the good temp monitor apps and see how it goes. You should be able to tune the GPU fan down to a good balance between RPM and temp through software.
Yeah, it gets really loud when I'm gaming but that's OK since I'm not too worried about noise. It's the times when I'm not gaming that I'd like to have it quiet.

I'll just have to go to the post office to pick up the water cooling in the morning so I can get an early start since I wasted the evening.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #2632
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount
My newest digital love affair is Bad Company 2. There is just something therapeutic about collapsing a house around some ones head.

As one of my friends said, First time in awhile that I've used some body english on the keyboard.
I just upgraded my rig to Win7 64-bit on Wednesday night and was able to re-download the beta last night. I hope to fire up BC2 tonight and see if it's any more stable than it was under XP.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #2633
Chopperman
I am dead

Fuck UBISoft. That is all
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #2634
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Fuck UBISoft. That is all
Agreed! They haven't mad anything decent since Rogue Spear. Raven Shield was crap since they dropped all third-party mods. GRAW, GRAW2, Vegas and Vegas2 were OK at best.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #2635
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Agreed! They haven't mad anything decent since Rogue Spear. Raven Shield was crap since they dropped all third-party mods. GRAW, GRAW2, Vegas and Vegas2 were OK at best.

Assassin's Creed. Loved it. I was looking forward to AC2 on the PC. not no mo'. My gamin time is limited. Thus, I have to be choosie about what I spend my game time on. So why would I waste that precious time on a game that is fundamentally broken in an effort to punish someone else?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #2636
Jeffy
Hmm...

Well, it's alive! It passed a 3hr leak test and booted to the Bios. It's humming along at 23*C. Spent an hour just deciding on where to mount everything. I didn't want to have to drill any new holes which limited my choices although I think it tuned out rather well. The return line is a bit long but I didn't want it to pass over the RAM so I ran it the long way round. Still need to transfer over some stuff from the old PC. Gotta dig out the old 8800 GT 320 for it. Windows 7 is going to take some time getting used to it. It's like using OS X.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #2637
Chopperman
I am dead

Sweet! nicely done

Quote:
Well, it's alive! It passed a 3hr leak test and booted to the Bios. It's humming along at 23*C. Spent an hour just deciding on where to mount everything. I didn't want to have to drill any new holes which limited my choices although I think it tuned out rather well. The return line is a bit long but I didn't want it to pass over the RAM so I ran it the long way round. Still need to transfer over some stuff from the old PC. Gotta dig out the old 8800 GT 320 for it. Windows 7 is going to take some time getting used to it. It's like using OS X.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #2638
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Assassin's Creed. Loved it. I was looking forward to AC2 on the PC. not no mo'. My gamin time is limited. Thus, I have to be choosie about what I spend my game time on. So why would I waste that precious time on a game that is fundamentally broken in an effort to punish someone else?
Be happy you don't look forward to it anymore. Ubisoft plans to introduce their new DRM scheme with it. Constant need for an online connection during play.

@Jeffy

Nice machine, but what kind of idiot assembles a computer on a bed?
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #2639
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman
Be happy you don't look forward to it anymore. Ubisoft plans to introduce their new DRM scheme with it. Constant need for an online connection during play.
Thats what I was referring to.

Now it isnt about what they can and cannot do. Its thier product, they can do as they like. But I dont have to play along. My time is my most valuable and constrained resource, one which they are competing for along with my money. With so many other interests vying for my attention, why would I spend that time on a product that punishes me for it because someone who torrented the game might have paid for it otherwise? Losing a sure sale over a maybe sale? Noses and faces Ubi, Noses and faces.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #2640
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Thats what I was referring to.

Now it isnt about what they can and cannot do. Its thier product, they can do as they like. But I dont have to play along. My time is my most valuable and constrained resource, one which they are competing for along with my money. With so many other interests vying for my attention, why would I spend that time on a product that punishes me for it because someone who torrented the game might have paid for it otherwise? Losing a sure sale over a maybe sale? Noses and faces Ubi, Noses and faces.
Yes, they didn't grasp yet, that ease of use is one reason torrents may be preferred. I used NoCD patches in enough games I bought. I simply do not want to find the CD/DVD and put it in to start a game.
They lose every prospect buyer that does not have a flat rate internet connection or wants to play where no connection is available, on a laptop in a train for example.

I also find it amusing that game/music/film industry executives always argue that copied games would have been a sold game. People have a limit on money they can spent on media of any kind. They won't go above that. I did torrent games, I still do, but I buy the ones I like then. I don't want to spend 40 on a game I read about in reviews but may not like or wouldn't play a second time. If I can imagine to pull out a game a year later and enjoy it again, it's a good game worth my money.
I still play warcraft III and will play Fallout 3 again.
I tried borderlands and didn't like it, so no money from me. Feel I bad about it? Not the slightest.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: