Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #2656
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Agreed.

But I already have (and prefer) a laptop for all my other computing, including the software development work that is my profession. So for me a gaming PC would effectively be a dedicated machine, because I sure as hell don't want to game on my laptop. The ergonomics would suck for gaming, and the performance isn't there and can't easily be added the way it might with a desktop.

(As a side note: My girlfriend has a 'gaming laptop', and I think it's the worst of both worlds: It's huge and heavy, not much fun to lug around or to actually place on your lap, but at the same time it's still down on performance and gaming ergonomics compared to a desktop. When she was shopping for the thing I offered to go 50/50 with her on a high-performance desktop. She declined, so now we've got this big hot brick of a machine that is used only for occasional web surfing (when my MacBook is already in use) or lightweight puzzle games, and she plays most of her 'serious' games on the Xbox.)

I don't think I'm unusual in preferring the convenience and portability of the laptop for general computing; I believe laptop sales are greater than desktop sales these days. (My mom just sent an excited email to the family list about how she and dad had gotten their first laptop and had set up wireless and DSL, and she was writing to us all from the couch.) I suspect that the move from desktops to laptops are another reason that PC gaming is in decline.

I tried the laptop replacement for desktop. Hated it. bad choice on my part. Underpowered. I didnt ever move it. cost too much. not enough screen acreage. fixing it when it failed was worse than dealing with a dead console system.

For me - powerhouse desktop for 99% of my computing. a small netbook for the few times I need to be mobile. When mobile I only do web surfing and email anyhow.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #2657
Chopperman
I am dead

PS - I dont think PC gaming is in decline. it is changing. the big budget houses are focusing on consoles, that is true. But the independant, up-n-comers will be filling in the gap. Additionally lots of game designers will continue to work on PC stuff because it will be able to bring to life their vision without the constraint of console controls and infrastructure.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #2658
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Yay! Birthday money!

Just picked up MW2, SW Force Unleashed and MotoGP '08.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #2659
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
One big advantage for PC games is that the new titles are always cheaper right off the bat. And, within a year, the price will be even cheaper for the PC version while the console version is still full price. Plus you have a wider choice of controllers.
The other side of the coin is that many games now are ports from the Xbox. Many games are fine-tuned for the Xbox then they are ported to PC with some bugs because they aren't exactly comparable.

Ubi is known to offer lesser version for PC users as well. Less overall weapons, little or no DLC, etc...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #2660
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
My only beef with PC based games is that almost any new, hot, must-have one that comes out, almost always requires, or at least recommends, an upgrade. Whether it be soft, firm, or hardware, my PC is never complete.

In comparison with consoles, any game you buy is basically guaranteed to run perfectly. Now that's plug and play, to me.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #2661
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stoff
My only beef with PC based games is that almost any new, hot, must-have one that comes out, almost always requires, or at least recommends, an upgrade. Whether it be soft, firm, or hardware, my PC is never complete.

In comparison with consoles, any game you buy is basically guaranteed to run perfectly. Now that's plug and play, to me.

nyet. I havent come across a game in going on two years that has required an upgrade to play.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #2662
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
nyet. I havent come across a game in going on two years that has required an upgrade to play.
My games may play fine, but I always think how much better it'd be if I had more RAM, that next gen video card, processor, cooler, etc. Then again, my PC is almost surely less advanced than the next guy's when it comes to playing games on.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #2663
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Stay close to the top in the PC curve and you shouldn't have to. That doesn't mean you have to be on the bleeding edge. Even a year out tech, will keep you playing. Stay near the bottom and you'll be forced to upgrade fairly regularly.

I don't think I've ever had to buy any hardware to play any game either.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #2664
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stoff

Not too sure about that. My last machine played 99% of the games for almost 5 years. (AMD3200, Win XP, 2 gigs DDR, NVIDIA 6600GT) I upgraded 5 months ago to a upper-middle machine (around 1200, no monitor, had a 23" LED that is 5 years old and works perfectly) and it plays 100% of the games with ease.....no, belay that. I can play 3 games at the same time, full graphics. At the same time. Not bad for a 1200 dollar machine. There is also the interchangable aspect as Chopperman spoke of. If I have a problem I diagnose it and repair it, usually within a day or 2. (not had a problem yet, however)

As others said, it's the functionality of it as well. Mine is my gaming PC first but I also do all the bills, chat with friends, compose memos and receive faxes for my home office, print and store/view pictures and movies via Netflix, etc etc, all while having a game of MW2 and DA:O minimized.

I also agree with the controller thing. Some games like flying games and the like are great on consoles, but more advanced games that require precise controls I find the controllers bulky and clumsy. Give me ASD and mouse controllers any day of the week.

Most of my friends have gone to consoles like XBOX 360 and PS3 but as said I don't do a lot of multiplayer stuff...I prefer to isolate and complete storylines, character development, graphics, etc. Most console players talk about the fun and playability of facing other people in a game.

2 More things then I'll shut up.

1. I find PC gamers are fascinated by the actual art of building and maintaining their machine...the tech behind the game, if you will. There is a certain amount of geek lust that comes with it for sure, plus the knowledge that if anything goes wrong you can rip it apart and fix it.

2. Even though the titles are the same, the PC vs console versions are often very different in storylines, graphics and play. I recently loaded up the "No Russian" chapter of MW2 and my buddy who has it on PS3 was blown. away. by the graphics and massive detail in every aspect of the game from the sheen of the weapons to the rustle of the body armor.

/shrug I've never been privvy to any sort of "PC elitist" before...I think consoles are great...just not for me. I kind of liken it to people that ride dirt vs street.....we all are motorcyclists, and some even do both. Like myself. I do have a venerable PS2 hooked up with 3 dozen titles that I keep for kids when they come over.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #2665
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Not too sure about that. My last machine played 99% of the games for almost 5 years. (AMD3200, Win XP, 2 gigs DDR, NVIDIA 6600GT)...

1. I find PC gamers are fascinated by the actual art of building and maintaining their machine...the tech behind the game, if you will. There is a certain amount of geek lust that comes with it for sure, plus the knowledge that if anything goes wrong you can rip it apart and fix it.
Funny you should mention that. My Nephew is using one of my old computers. It's an old AMD +3200XP, I think it had 1GB and a old ATI X9800XL. I have a 7600GTX but it broke and has been back to BFG twice. He's going to get my computer again. Even though he's not into all of the newest stuff, (he likes playing old NES, SNES, etc ROM's) he's going to get a pretty nice upgrade from his old computer.

I think to some extent you'll find most hardcore games are computer builders to some extent. It's the only way to get a nice computer without all the extra baggage that comes from a boxstore computer. Being able to trouble shoot it becomes par the course and it's easiest when you've built the computer from the ground up. Like with my build, I went with some of the best components available which make for a problem free build.

I tend to upgrade the GPU once for twice. I usually get the next to best card since there is a huge price drop between the top of the line and a year old card. With the ability to SLI or Crossfire, this makes for even more possibilities as you can keep the old card and double up.

You also have to be aware of the way the industry is going so you can chose parts that have a clear upgrade path and not get stuck at a dead end.

I've multiple consoles and I still prefer PC gaming.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #2666
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

MW2 feels a little more like you're just along for the ride rather than fighting out a mission to the end.

However the action is just as intense and everything feels more fluid and smooth than MW1.

Also MotoGP '08 on simulation mode is pretty damn realistic and totally kicking my ass, but it's tons of fun and looks great.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #2667
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
MW2 feels a little more like you're just along for the ride rather than fighting out a mission to the end.

However the action is just as intense and everything feels more fluid and smooth than MW1.

Also MotoGP '08 on simulation mode is pretty damn realistic and totally kicking my ass, but it's tons of fun and looks great.

MW was much of the same. Although, I really like the shanty town shoot out, the suburbia and the white house maps. Now if they could have opened the map up more and slowed down the game play so you're not rushing everywhere, I think it would have been better. Problem is the developer doesn't want to have to script all the different scenarios so your forced to chase the indicator and miss out on a lot of stuff.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #2668
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius

The Special Ops missions at the end or MW2 are just as good if not better than the actual scenario/single player.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #2669
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
MW was much of the same. Although, I really like the shanty town shoot out, the suburbia and the white house maps. Now if they could have opened the map up more and slowed down the game play so you're not rushing everywhere, I think it would have been better. Problem is the developer doesn't want to have to script all the different scenarios so your forced to chase the indicator and miss out on a lot of stuff.
The first one the levels were (or felt) much longer and sort of had a feeling of "how will I make it through this, they're everywhere" or "will this ever end?" but was still reasonably actiony. MW2 is a lot of rushing to the point that it just feels like your playing out a clip scene from a larger story and mission. Like the Rio level was literally two cut scenes.

I will say the AI (both enemy and friend) are much smarter and faster than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
The Special Ops missions at the end or MW2 are just as good if not better than the actual scenario/single player.
That's one of the reasons I got it.

MW1 was pretty boring after you beat it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #2670
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,690
Quote:
I tried the laptop replacement for desktop. Hated it. bad choice on my part. Underpowered. I didnt ever move it. cost too much. not enough screen acreage. fixing it when it failed was worse than dealing with a dead console system.

For me - powerhouse desktop for 99% of my computing. a small netbook for the few times I need to be mobile. When mobile I only do web surfing and email anyhow.

I'm sorta weird in that I still go to LAN parties with my buddies, and I still carry in the full atx box. Most of us do actually. One of the idiots has this 50lb monster he drags down. quad crossfire etc.... Dragging that out of a building at 4 am and strapping it to a sissybar plain sucks. Especially in the rain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: