Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #2671
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Stay close to the top in the PC curve and you shouldn't have to. That doesn't mean you have to be on the bleeding edge. Even a year out tech, will keep you playing. Stay near the bottom and you'll be forced to upgrade fairly regularly.

I don't think I've ever had to buy any hardware to play any game either.

"Close" is a relative term. You dont even have to be all that "close". It is quite easy to make a "future-resistant" ("future-proof" is too much of an absolute) a machine. select a solid motherboard, case, PSU and max the ram for that operating system and the only thing you chould have to do for the lifetime of a generation of consoles is update the CPU and GPU. and even after that it should last for quite some time as a general purpose machine only succumbing to parts wear and OS bloat.

Now if you start with a bargain-bin dell, you are gonna be stuck with finding a lot of games that wont work well and a limited upgrade path.

but an 800-1000 buck build should certainly last longer than the current gen of consoles for gaming. current motherboards will take a wide array of CPUs and GPUs not to mention more ram than 32bit OS systems can address. The point is, the most expensive "bite" is the first build.

Building a pc is easier than ever. if you can follow simple instructions, you can do it.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #2672
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
What he said.

The first bite is the biggest, but it doesn't have to leave your gums horribly lacerated these days.

My box is minimally competent from a real gamer nerd standpoint, but it does really surprisingly well considering the money I've put into it.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #2673
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount
What he said.

The first bite is the biggest, but it doesn't have to leave your gums horribly lacerated these days.

My box is minimally competent from a real gamer nerd standpoint, but it does really surprisingly well considering the money I've put into it.
An acceptable case with a reasonable powerful AC adapter is a good start and will last quite long. Harddisks are a cheap upgrade in between and it's not expensive to jump on a last generation motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu.
I have a strict budget and 300 bought me those powerful enough for non hardcore players. My screen resolution will stay at 1280x1024 until my beautiful 19" Philips screen goes over the hill. It even has good built in speakers.

A PC is simply much more flexible than a console and it does not take longer to start a game.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #2674
Dismount
Boring bastard

I went am3 and phenomII with mine. So far plenty of juice for anything I've thrown at it. The new 5770 is just a badass card for what it costs. huge improvement in every game I have. And I'm using a 42" tv as a monitor. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #2675
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman
An acceptable case with a reasonable powerful AC adapter is a good start and will last quite long. Harddisks are a cheap upgrade in between and it's not expensive to jump on a last generation motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu.
I have a strict budget and 300 bought me those powerful enough for non hardcore players. My screen resolution will stay at 1280x1024 until my beautiful 19" Philips screen goes over the hill. It even has good built in speakers.

A PC is simply much more flexible than a console and it does not take longer to start a game.
My budget for most components was around $300 each. The complete build was just under $2000. This gets you a really nice computer and when upgrading, it's not too bad on the wallet. I can't see spending $500-600 on a top of the line GPU when a slightly older model will do 90-95% at half the cost.

I too have settled with a 19" Samsung Widescreen (1440x900) so I'm not hurting for FPS. I might upgrade to a 22-24" if this one dies but it's survived two computer builds. Monitors are a good investment though since they don't really become outdated like other components. I also think the PSU falls into this category. Although with some of the power-hungry cars out there you can run into problems of not having enough plugs. The 6-8 pin's are what most high-end cards are using. The next component would probably be the motherboard. I think it's always good to buy the best one for the job as these will usually survive a whole chip generation or possible a bit longer. The better boards also allow you to overclock which is a great way to extend the life of a slower computer. My old E6600 is still pretty fast at 3.4ghz and is able to run all the new games.

Other then that, a case is one place you can go cheap. Although, if you get a good one, it will last several rebuilds. Keyboards and mice are sort of the same. HDD's and RAM are cheap these days and there is no reason to skimp anymore. Although DDR3 is still a bit pricey but slowly dropping.

For the CPU, I always go with the cheaper series Intel's. They usually have the most overhead and can be clocked to higher specs then the faster chips at a fraction of the cost. I'm expecting to get over 3.8GHz and maybe into the 4's (Factory 2.66GHz) from the i7.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2676
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Granted that PC's have more power (duh), but 1000- 2000 bucks? Gee, I spent $300 on the console, the rest I'll keep for games and a big HDTV! After all, it's just gaming (keeping my helmet on), right?

Maybe I'll sacrifice a spare fuel pump controller and start upgrading my PC..
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #2677
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stoff
Granted that PC's have more power (duh), but 1000- 2000 bucks? Gee, I spent $300 on the console, the rest I'll keep for games and a big HDTV! After all, it's just gaming (keeping my helmet on), right?

Unlike a console a PC is able to do a lot more. Ok, consoles have branched out a bit but they are no where near as flexible as a PC and in that sense, it's fairly inexpensive. Ever try to web browse on a console? They are very easy to do since you're using a game pad for everything. Want to write an email or reply to a post? It gets even more tedious.

The PC is a jack of all trades. It does a bit of everything. Mine does Photo and video editing, watching movies on DVD as well as online. Hulu is great for catching up on misses episodes. Web browsing, email and word processing.

You don't need to spend $2000 or even $1000. These days you can build a decent computer for under $800 and still have an upgrade path.

Also, consider that most Console games are $60 these days. PC games are usually priced around $49 and drop quickly a few months after they are released, although there are some games that don't. But in general, you'll pay a lot less per game. Then there are all the peripherals that you buy. More then likely, they will not work with any new generation console. Which means collecting a bunch of stuff. I think I have three guitars across three different systems and 2 dance pads. A Taiko drum as well as the regular drums. Those peripherals weren't cheap either.

Pick your poison. I burn my candle on both ends.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #2678
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

my gaming PC

Thanks fellas. I oughta get started. It's a looong way to go...

Old 02-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #2679
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
You don't need to spend $2000 or even $1000. These days you can build a decent computer for under $800 and still have an upgrade path.
You can go as low as ~$700 if you're lucky, do a bit of bargain hunting and know your way around a l33t h4x (like unlocking the other two cores on a 550 Black Edition and getting a quad for the price of a dual).
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2680
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:

Well you do as you like. as I said, the PC is my professional toolbox as well as my entertainment. If you're fiddling with bikes on the weekends and doing general maintenance on your stuff - a suitcase of harbor freight or consumer level wrenches will do you just fine. But if you are working as a pro then you step u to the more spendy but higher quality gear.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #2681
Dismount
Boring bastard

Quote:

I'm in about 400$ on mine. Plays everything well.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #2682
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
Well you do as you like. as I said, the PC is my professional toolbox as well as my entertainment. If you're fiddling with bikes on the weekends and doing general maintenance on your stuff - a suitcase of harbor freight or consumer level wrenches will do you just fine. But if you are working as a pro then you step u to the more spendy but higher quality gear.

Yeah but when you buy expensive computer gear you start thinking spending money on kitchen appliances ain't so bad. Then before you know it you start looking for a new car to play with.

It never ends.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #2683
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
...It never ends.
Yes, nothing really does. The walk may just take a bit longer for those "ambulatorily challenged". I'm still reeling from another set of Stahlwilles, myself...

I need a bigger yacht.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #2684
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
Yeah but when you buy expensive computer gear you start thinking spending money on kitchen appliances ain't so bad. Then before you know it you start looking for a new car to play with.

It never ends.

Like I said...

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #2685
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Like I said...
I think booze and drugs might be a cheaper hobby.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: