Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #256
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
It kills me that they've essentially figured out a way to keep you buying the same game over and over again.

I really should be a KLR rider.

Why not? The music industry has managed to get us to buy the same music over and over...Oh wait that is another thread...

Actually the bang for the buck is pretty astoundingly good. Even factoring in the cost of a DS at 120 plus the 38 bucks for the one pokemon game - which I estimate at a conservative 80 hours of *unique* play - it works out to about 2 bucks per hour. A movie is about 10 bucks in a theater- thats about 5 bucks per hour - if you can find a full 2 hour movie anymore. And if you buy it on VHS, no wait - DVD, hang on - Blue Ray! it is even worse because you can only see the same content over and over. Which brings up the interactivity factor - you have strategy, grouping, factoring bonuses, and so forth. No, I wouldnt call it an educational tool per se. But when my son was struggling with the concepts of groups and the intersections of groups, our common knowledge of pokemon handed us a tool to illustrate the concepts.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #257
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
Why not? The music industry has managed to get us to buy the same music over and over...Oh wait that is another thread...

Actually the bang for the buck is pretty astoundingly good. Even factoring in the cost of a DS at 120 plus the 38 bucks for the one pokemon game - which I estimate at a conservative 80 hours of *unique* play - it works out to about 2 bucks per hour. A movie is about 10 bucks in a theater- thats about 5 bucks per hour - if you can find a full 2 hour movie anymore. And if you buy it on VHS, no wait - DVD, hang on - Blue Ray! it is even worse because you can only see the same content over and over. Which brings up the interactivity factor - you have strategy, grouping, factoring bonuses, and so forth. No, I wouldnt call it an educational tool per se. But when my son was struggling with the concepts of groups and the intersections of groups, our common knowledge of pokemon handed us a tool to illustrate the concepts.

I just recently realized the value of the video game.

I used to go into Target or wherever and say "Sixty bucks for a video game! You've got to be freakin kidding me! "

Then my friend loaned me Fallout 3 for the 360 and I totally got sucked in. I started doing the mental calculations of how many hours of entertainment it was worth. It completely blew dinner and a movie out of the water for "best bang for your buck".

It may be a different sort of entertainment but well worth the $$.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #258
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
I just recently realized the value of the video game.

I used to go into Target or wherever and say "Sixty bucks for a video game! You've got to be freakin kidding me! "

Then my friend loaned me Fallout 3 for the 360 and I totally got sucked in. I started doing the mental calculations of how many hours of entertainment it was worth. It completely blew dinner and a movie out of the water for "best bang for your buck".

It may be a different sort of entertainment but well worth the $$.
Exactly. Now that doesnt devalue the worth of a good book or a great film - it just puts things in a bit of a perspective.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #259
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,465
Quote:
I hate to break it to you Jonny but we killed your girl Bittercup.

I'm sorry man, I really am, but she just wouldn't put that damn collar on and went she went nuts Charon pulled out his combat shotgun and took her out.

You just can't stop that guy when something goes red.
Alright.

That's it.

I'm gonna have to regulate your slaver ass.

I'll meet you at Paradise and send you to the gates of hell personally.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #260
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
Alright.

That's it.

I'm gonna have to regulate your slaver ass.

I'll meet you at Paradise and send you to the gates of hell personally.

Good luck with that buddy. I've got power armor now.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #261
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Me too. And a plasma gun.

Just call me Billy Bad Ass.

(I love the clumping sound the armor makes when you walk.)

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday

mel brooks screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 04:34 PM
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #262
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Y'know, I actually found the power armor pretty disappointing when I got it. The extra protection it provided didn't seem worth the loss in bonuses and extra weight versus the Ranger battle armor -- not like the earlier Fallouts where power armor (IIRC) seemed like it was clearly the 'best' armor in the game. I ended up sticking with the Ranger armor all the way to the end on my first playthrough. (Still haven't started a second.)

I guess it just made more sense for the kind of character I was playing, anyways. I didn't go for heavy weapons, either.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #263
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
You're such the joker.

I visited Bittercup last night and just happened to save Timebomb's life at the same time.

So when I regulate you at Paradise Falls it'll be nothing personal, just another finger to collect.

As for power armor? heh. You just keep thinking you're tough, slaver. Right until the time I find you.

Jonnylotto screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 11:27 AM
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #264
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
I'm pissed- found an extra suit of power armor at Ft. Bannister, but couldn't carry it. went back to get it- and it was gone.

So I only have one suit, but I'm looking for more to repair one and get it ready.

Know what's cool?

I came out of a metro station on Pennsylvania Avenue. I heard two super mutants, and saw their red dots on my radar. I stayed at the bottom of a steep stairwell, and tossed a couple of frags out through the top. It lured them right into my trap- awesome!

Anyone else take the time to visit St. Monica's Church service on a Sunday morn? Hearing people talk amongst themselves is a hoot.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #265
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
So the power armor doesn't mean you can carry more weight?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #266
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I'm pissed- found an extra suit of power armor at Ft. Bannister, but couldn't carry it. went back to get it- and it was gone.

So I only have one suit, but I'm looking for more to repair one and get it ready.

Know what's cool?

I came out of a metro station on Pennsylvania Avenue. I heard two super mutants, and saw their red dots on my radar. I stayed at the bottom of a steep stairwell, and tossed a couple of frags out through the top. It lured them right into my trap- awesome!

Anyone else take the time to visit St. Monica's Church service on a Sunday morn? Hearing people talk amongst themselves is a hoot.
Power armor is not hard to find; hang around the Brotherhood when they fight Behemoths and scavenge the "leftovers". Named armor is the same, most of the time, as generic armor.

If you really want to bring something back home, select more expendable stuff and leave that behind inside a container inside a location. Not guaranteed to be there when you get back but you'll have a better chance of finding it.

fwiw, I almost always go home at the weight limit and sell off about 80-90 weight units. Right now I have a missle launcher, minigun and gatling laser that I'm trying to get back from Bethesda. I'm dropping conductors and sensors like a breadcrumb trail.

One more weight saver for Fallout 3: Do repairs in the field as you collect weapons and armor; it lightens the load and makes the equipment work better and sell for more bottlecaps. Once you hit Repair 100 you end up with some primo stuff to sell.

You should also sit in Moriarty's and listen to Colin.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #267
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
So the power armor doesn't mean you can carry more weight?
Power Armor gives you an improved strength of +1 or +2 and weights 45.

The only thing I tend to forget is to undress before fighting a deathclaw.

I like myself a hot virtual guy in underwear.
Armor doesn't matter to deathclaws anyways, it just get's damaged.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #268
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I'm so pissed that springbreak is over.

Now I have to go to school after work instead of home.

I don't even get to ride to work.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #269
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I'm so pissed that springbreak is over.

Now I have to go to school after work instead of home.

I don't even get to ride to work.

That's a bummer.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #270
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
Skool is fer squarez
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: