Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2701
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
...It had 39 games built in, all from the 1980's.
It was fun to play so many old favorites again.
If you play many of those classic arcade games via Xbox Live, you get World Leaderboards bragging rights.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #2702
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
That's why they invented PTT. All those stupid consoles with their voice-activated crap.
Just what I need, another fucking button to push.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #2703
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
Just what I need, another fucking button to push.

Quiet, mouth-breather, we don't need to hear you!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #2704
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Alright, so MW2 was pretty cool.

There's still some elements I liked about the first one better, but I think the 2nd one comes out on top.

The story bothers me a little though, are they intentionally keeping price and soap alive along with nothing happening to Makarov for a 3rd installment?

Also, what was the whole deal with Shepard, He talked about losing 30,000 men all at once (apparently during the first game) but I never caught why he turned evil?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #2705
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Nearing the end of Mass Effect 2. Overall I'm going to have to call it a mild disappointment.

The first game had some rough edges (like the inventory system and the Mako physics and controls) that needed cleaning up. So I was happy to see some of of the streamlining in the second game -- most obviously the elimination of any need to do inventory management.

But overall I think they went way too far in the direction of streamlining. Getting rid of the Mako altogether was a mistake. Replacing the flawed but basically fun Mako with the plant scanning process was a sin. (Whoever thought up the planet scanning thing should be forcibly ejected from the gaming industry. It's boring as hell, and makes absolutely no sense given what the game tells you about your ship, your character, and the organization you're working for.) The Mako added some variety to the gameplay, and it should have been improved rather than lopped off.

Maps were really dumbed down compared to what I remember of ME1. Aside from some non-combat hub areas, most of the map were almost completely linear. Each one is effectively a long (but winding) corridor with occasional side doors where you can pick up optional bonuses, and conveniently placed cover whenever you encounter baddies. I don't think I ever had to think much about where I was going in ME2, and that's a bad thing.

(I suspect that a lot of the streamlining reflects a need to control development costs, rather than a desire to make the game more accessible. The planet scanning had to have been easier to implement than an improved physics engine and extensive 3D terrain models for driving the Mako. And I'd imagine that simple linear maps are easier to build, debug, and play-test than more complex ones.)

The plot is less interesting than in ME1. Not much in the way of twists or surprises, little sense that you're gradually uncovering the details of some Galactic mystery. The primary storyline is actually very short and simple, and the bulk of the game's missions and content are tied to your efforts to recruit a bunch of crew members. Too many crew members, really. I would have preferred a smaller crew and a more complex primary plot. Oh, and those silly "mission summary" screens really destroy the suspension of disbelief. Way to remind me that I'm playing a video game and not actually in an open-ended world.

At the end of this long bitchy post about the game's problems, I have to say I'm still enjoying it. I've got enough residual curiosity about the plot and the universe from the first game to want to see what happens next. The basic combat is still reasonably fun. And the dialog and character development is as great as the first time around. Maybe better. So I'm finding it worth my time to play. But only barely so -- in a lot of ways its coasting on the goodwill that the first game earned. If the first game had been this weak, I wouldn't have bought the second.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the next entry in the series finds the right balance.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #2706
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Alright, so MW2 was pretty cool.

There's still some elements I liked about the first one better, but I think the 2nd one comes out on top.

The story bothers me a little though, are they intentionally keeping price and soap alive along with nothing happening to Makarov for a 3rd installment?

Also, what was the whole deal with Shepard, He talked about losing 30,000 men all at once (apparently during the first game) but I never caught why he turned evil?
I think the "crux" of the game is that "good" and "evil" when it comes to worldwide chess matches are fluid concepts- in Shepherd's mind, what he was doing wasn't specifically evil, but unfortunate and necessary in order to drum up support for a war to avenge the losses of the first game.

SPOILER BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET PLAYED THIS GAME:

Look at the action Price took to turn world opinion back in favor of the US as a "victim"?

Overall, I think MW2 did a good job of demonstrating no small amount of cynicism decrying the black and white jingoism that accompanies most wars and global conflicts. In the end, it's pretty much a grudgematch between a few opponents with many willing and unwilling to serve as pawns. Despite being a "war" game, it doesn't really glorify violence as much as present it as having a sociopathic clarity of purpose.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #2707
XPADREX
Funslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim

Truly hilarious! I was crying, and trying not to spew my coffee. Good stuff.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #2708
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I think the "crux" of the game is that "good" and "evil" when it comes to worldwide chess matches are fluid concepts- in Shepherd's mind, what he was doing wasn't specifically evil, but unfortunate and necessary in order to drum up support for a war to avenge the losses of the first game.

SPOILER BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET PLAYED THIS GAME:

Look at the action Price took to turn world opinion back in favor of the US as a "victim"?

Overall, I think MW2 did a good job of demonstrating no small amount of cynicism decrying the black and white jingoism that accompanies most wars and global conflicts. In the end, it's pretty much a grudgematch between a few opponents with many willing and unwilling to serve as pawns. Despite being a "war" game, it doesn't really glorify violence as much as present it as having a sociopathic clarity of purpose.
I find it strange that he still needed a war to avenge those lost when both leaders responsible for what happened were assassinated by allied forces.

Spoilers:

The whole Makarov deal bugs me. I get why he was important, but it was kind of annoying how they dropped him so quickly.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 07:13 AM
Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #2709
XPADREX
Funslinger

I concur.

He goes from incredibly dark bad guy to "special guest star" rather rapidly.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #2710
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I concur.

He goes from incredibly dark bad guy to "special guest star" rather rapidly.
I suppose he's going to be a big player in the third installment, but since it's apparently so easy to find and get in close to him that he still doesn't feel like a formidable bad guy.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #2711
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Heavy Rain was pretty awesome. Finished it up last week with a perfect ending. Good stuff! I'd suggest picking it up if you like suspense mystery type stuff.

FFXIII will be at the house this week. I just have to go pick up my pre-order.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #2712
XPADREX
Funslinger

Quote:
I suppose he's going to be a big player in the third installment, but since it's apparently so easy to find and get in close to him that he still doesn't feel like a formidable bad guy.
Shepherd was a far more complex "bad guy"- Zarkov or Fukov or whatever felt more like a patsy for someone else.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #2713
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Shepherd was a far more complex "bad guy"- Zarkov or Fukov or whatever felt more like a patsy for someone else.
Yeah. I can see why Shepherd wanted "revenge", but like I said both men responsible for what happened had been taken care of. Who was there left to fight? Unless he was using Makarov as a poor excuse to fight a full on war?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #2714
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
but since it's apparently so easy to find and get in close to him that he still doesn't feel like a formidable bad guy.
More spoilers:

Remember, Makarov let the guy in so he could use the American as his own patsy. The whole game is a convoluted web of "who's using who to do what?"

From a strictly manipulative point of view, I thought it was good. I didn't see a lot of it coming; even though in retrospect, it seems pretty obvious.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #2715
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt
More spoilers:

Remember, Makarov let the guy in so he could use the American as his own patsy. The whole game is a convoluted web of "who's using who to do what?"

From a strictly manipulative point of view, I thought it was good. I didn't see a lot of it coming; even though in retrospect, it seems pretty obvious.
True, I think it really wouldve added to the game though to spend some time and flush out his back ground.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: