Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:46 AM   #2836
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum on Shoe
I'm looking for a wheel

I'm not looking at DiRT2 as a WRC sim, because it isn't, despite the Colin McRae link. It may have been hijacked by the Yanks but the various formats and race styles are an interesting departure IMO.

Instead I'm enjoying it for what it is.. a brilliantly rendered fast frame rate off road hoot. If you are fast on this thing two minutes a run is about as long as I can hold my breath before I start to suffocate anyway

I'm playing it on a 720p plasma and it is just gorgeous. Even the wife watches, and she hates video games.

I'm only just starting so my vote is out on the length and number of the rally stages.
I have the xbox 360 wheel that I don't use anymore, pedals and everything, including the table mount.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #2837
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,262
spent last night playing the new maps for MW2.....good stuff !
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #2838
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by flak
oh yeah, dc was easily the MOST fun I had with a mod - aside from when tfc was first released for the original half-life - dc was so crazy though, loved the air vehicle mayhem

on ps3 right now I'm playing gow3 and just started in on bioshock 2 (gamefly rental) - played the first bioshock on pc when it was new

I'm kinda half and half with bad company 2. On one hand, it's really fun, and nifty with all the blowin stuff up and everything. Not to mention a whole shitload of fun.

My issues with the latest offering are the maps. Everything is this narrow corridor. At least compared to the massive older battlefield offerings. If you want to attack the back of a base, you're pretty much forced to go through the front. I'm not sure if that's a console based design element, or if they're just trying to funnel everybody into the fight. Either way, it sucks, grabbing your buddies and doing an end around for some sneaky out of the way shit is just not there as much.

The entire battlefield franchise has forever been messing up the damn air combat shit. Either you have tools to kill the flyboys, but they're just too damned tough, or you don't have tools... at which point they're still too damned tough while they rain death on you from above.

I need a 24x scope and doubled map sizes.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #2839
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt
I have the xbox 360 wheel that I don't use anymore, pedals and everything, including the table mount.
I'm in Saudi and I have a PS3. You pay the postage?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #2840
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount
I'm kinda half and half with bad company 2. On one hand, it's really fun, and nifty with all the blowin stuff up and everything. Not to mention a whole shitload of fun.

My issues with the latest offering are the maps. Everything is this narrow corridor. At least compared to the massive older battlefield offerings. If you want to attack the back of a base, you're pretty much forced to go through the front. I'm not sure if that's a console based design element, or if they're just trying to funnel everybody into the fight. Either way, it sucks, grabbing your buddies and doing an end around for some sneaky out of the way shit is just not there as much.

The entire battlefield franchise has forever been messing up the damn air combat shit. Either you have tools to kill the flyboys, but they're just too damned tough, or you don't have tools... at which point they're still too damned tough while they rain death on you from above.

I need a 24x scope and doubled map sizes.
I agree, I don't like the closed-in feel of most mp shooters now - I liked how in dc (and early bf) you had these wide open bases where you could literally fly your own chopper or plane behind a mountain (say in some of the iraq maps), land, maybe snipe some turds from your hiding spot on your own personal mountain top, then hop back in your air vehicle and bust a kamikaze on somebody trying to take off from their base just for kicks

that whole hooligan aspect was neutered as dice tried to refine the product over the years - I mean some of the original bf2 was still decent, but it was never close to being as fun as the stupid stuff you could pull off in dc with the ac130, choppers, suicide jeeps, etc - that ac130 was good times

I think the loose half-assed physics and free roaming environments were really at the heart of what made dc so killa - there's something to be said for the twitch physics and silly shit in an independent mod like that - sure it's not that realistic, but I remember laughing out loud a LOT when playing that mod, nowadays...not so much
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #2841
Dismount
Boring bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak
I agree, I don't like the closed-in feel of most mp shooters now - I liked how in dc (and early bf) you had these wide open bases where you could literally fly your own chopper or plane behind a mountain (say in some of the iraq maps), land, maybe snipe some turds from your hiding spot on your own personal mountain top, then hop back in your air vehicle and bust a kamikaze on somebody trying to take off from their base just for kicks

that whole hooligan aspect was neutered as dice tried to refine the product over the years - I mean some of the original bf2 was still decent, but it was never close to being as fun as the stupid stuff you could pull off in dc with the ac130, choppers, suicide jeeps, etc - that ac130 was good times

I think the loose half-assed physics and free roaming environments were really at the heart of what made dc so killa - there's something to be said for the twitch physics and silly shit in an independent mod like that - sure it's not that realistic, but I remember laughing out loud a LOT when playing that mod, nowadays...not so much
You may have nailed it.

Though I did Plenty of laughing last night while roaming around hip firing the carl gustav and being a grenade sprinkler. I was with 3 other buddies doing the same thing, It was an absolute hooligantastic hoot. Everywhere we went there were no trees, buildings, tanks, bushes... It was like being an explosive swarm of locusts.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #2842
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
You may have nailed it.

Though I did Plenty of laughing last night while roaming around hip firing the carl gustav and being a grenade sprinkler. I was with 3 other buddies doing the same thing, It was an absolute hooligantastic hoot. Everywhere we went there were no trees, buildings, tanks, bushes... It was like being an explosive swarm of locusts.
Whats your in game name?? sounds like a group I need to be part of :-)

Been playing a lot of Squad rush lately with my buddies. 4 on 4 against a single station is pretty damned fun! Rounds are fast and points seem to be high!
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #2843
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
You may have nailed it.

one of my older online fps buddies told me I might like the new one - we used to do what you described, a small group of us would hop in vent and try to wreak mindless havoc for havoc's sake - it's especially fun when a game is new too, when most everyone is still settling into their control schemes and favorite tactics...before the laughs wear off
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #2844
Dismount
Boring bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Whats your in game name?? sounds like a group I need to be part of :-)

Been playing a lot of Squad rush lately with my buddies. 4 on 4 against a single station is pretty damned fun! Rounds are fast and points seem to be high!

roscocsa

Goin to a lanparty with the nerdherd this weekend. Fun shall be had. We've been blathering on about getting a server. If you see one called AAA Death server... most likely us.

The rockets and other assorted propelled explosives come out when a group of us get together. The rest of the time, we're little brown dots on the horizon and a whistling noise beside your head.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #2845
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum on Shoe
I'm in Saudi and I have a PS3. You pay the postage?
Deal, but you gotta figure out how to make it work... :P
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #2846
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,171
Anyone playing the new maps that came out for COD2? Watch out, I'm hiding in the doghouse with a double barrel shottie just waitin to blow yer ballz clean off if you walk by.....
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #2847
kilroy1
was here!

Oddometer: 202
Quick game check?

Hey All,

Got a quick question. I am looking at getting my 12 yr old son Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1. We play FPS all the time including Army of Two (both releases), the first COD, Medal of Honor Airborne, Bad Company 1... among many others. Just asking how CODMW1 stacks up against these others as far as play and content for his age? He snuck AOT 40th day past me and was finished with it before I realised how gorey it was. I would not have bought it for him because of that, his mother did unknowing. I'm not against some blood and spray but walking up to a guy and blowing his head clean off is little much for his age as I see it. I know its rated M but for how much content? Like I said I don't mind the cussing and some blood, just not a gore fest. TIA

Shane

No matter how bad it gets just smile, because everyday above ground is a good one.
kilroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #2848
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
Anyone playing the new maps that came out for COD2? Watch out, I'm hiding in the doghouse with a double barrel shottie just waitin to blow yer ballz clean off if you walk by.....
I'll be looking for you...

Midnght rider is my name...and yes it's misspelled on purpose.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #2849
ndcent
Banned

Oddometer: 1,957
My name is ndcent, and I've played roughly 57 hours of Call of Duty:MW Reflex on my Wii.
ndcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #2850
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy1
Hey All,

Got a quick question. I am looking at getting my 12 yr old son Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1. We play FPS all the time including Army of Two (both releases), the first COD, Medal of Honor Airborne, Bad Company 1... among many others. Just asking how CODMW1 stacks up against these others as far as play and content for his age? He snuck AOT 40th day past me and was finished with it before I realised how gorey it was. I would not have bought it for him because of that, his mother did unknowing. I'm not against some blood and spray but walking up to a guy and blowing his head clean off is little much for his age as I see it. I know its rated M but for how much content? Like I said I don't mind the cussing and some blood, just not a gore fest. TIA

Shane
If Bad company is fine then I think Modern Warfare will be fine. Its nothing like Gears of War or anything. No limbs or heads get blown off. Where ever someone gets shot, its maybe a small spray of blood at most and they drop. It plays out like a good action movie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: