Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
COD World at War.
Yep, still loving COD World at War after a few months.. Great to play "nazi zombie mode" or just run around with a pump shotgun on the "Dome" map. When I get bored, COD 4 "Modern Warfare" is nice for modern high-tech weapons....
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
One thing I do want to know about Fallout 3 is are there any mutants in the game. I know there's like mutant people, but I mean something less sentient, more monstery.
No. There are a lot of various mutant animals like giant ants & scorpions and things called Mirelurks that look like giant walking horseshoe crabs which are a bitch to kill until you get some good guns.

There are several humanish enemies. Raiders, slavers, & mercenaries are pretty much just human thugs that roam the Wasteland. Then you have Super Mutants and Ghouls that are a little more monsterish.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #18
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Ever seen Zero Punctuation's game reviews? Maybe they'll help you decide.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/prof...ahtzee+Croshaw

L4D was fun, but I picked up Far Cry 2 about 3 weeks ago. The driving gets boring, but the actual combat is interesting and the storyline seems decent.

GTA4 has a new expansion out, too.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
No. There are a lot of various mutant animals like giant ants & scorpions and things called Mirelurks that look like giant walking horseshoe crabs which are a bitch to kill until you get some good guns.

There are several humanish enemies. Raiders, slavers, & mercenaries are pretty much just human thugs that roam the Wasteland. Then you have Super Mutants and Ghouls that are a little more monsterish.
Ah ok, that's what I wanted to know. I was afraid I'd get bored pretty quick just hunting and killing a bunch of mad max wannabes all the time.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Ah ok, that's what I wanted to know. I was afraid I'd get bored pretty quick just hunting and killing a bunch of mad max wannabes all the time.
There's a lot of variety in things to kill.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
This is true, I really like the game but it's a bit too sterile at times also.

So he's going for something inbetween halo free for all and mass effect sterile tactics?
Yeah, he likes it when you actually have to have a strategy to get through a combat sequence. Banzai open fire runs just aren't interesting for him.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
There's a lot of variety in things to kill.
Ok, good!

On a side note, has anyone taken a look at Tom Clancy's: H.A.W.X. yet?
Obviously not what I'm looking for right now, but after I get bored of AC6 I may give it a try.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #23
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
I forgot to mention, you do not get unlimited ammo so you have to plan the best weapon for each enemy based on how much ammo you have. There are a mind boggling number of weapons to find and you have to keep everything in good repair. Your guns and armor get damaged in combat and you have to find like items to make repairs.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
There's a lot of puzzle solving as well as shooting of aliens in Dead Space- but it's a bit much for young kids. My 11 year-old I deemed okay to watch me play. He's a great helper as we solve quests. I'm realy liking it, though- we play it as a team. It's probably more fun for me with the controlled than him, but we have a ball. He has his own games, dammit!

I'm going to have to checkout Fallout 3 now.
We play as a team as well, that way we don't fight over it so much.

I'll have to check out Dead Space when he's done with Mass Effect.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #25
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Any socom players that are advrs? I play confrontation 5 nights a week. Resident evil is gonna be great. You can download a demo.
tommyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #26
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:

I picked this game up a month ago. Holy shit, what an awesome game. I'd rate it at least as good as the HL games. Such an awesome backstory. And they're releasing additional content over the next few months. There's so many little details in the game to find. Not to mention the enemies. Walk through an old metro station and find these guys:

Probably the worst is running into a Deathclaw.

wyowillys46 screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 05:06 PM
wyowillys46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Ok, good!

On a side note, has anyone taken a look at Tom Clancy's: H.A.W.X. yet?
Obviously not what I'm looking for right now, but after I get bored of AC6 I may give it a try.
I downloaded the HAWX demo, freaking awesome. Definitely picking it up once it's out.

I assume you've covered all the basics like Halo 3, The Orange Box (ie Portal!), Bioshock, etc... Have you checked out Ninja Gaiden 2? Not a shooter, but still good fun.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #28
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
I picked this game up a month ago. Holy shit, what an awesome game. I'd rate it at least as good as the HL games. Such an awesome backstory. And they're releasing additional content over the next few months. There's so many little details in the game to find. Not to mention the enemies. Walk through an old metro station and find these guys:

Probably the worst is running into a Deathclaw.
We had it on loan from a friend and we were totally bummed when they asked for it back. We had finished it but restored the game to just before the ending and Ben was just wandering around killing stuff.

When I find a decently priced used copy I'll pick it up so we can go back and play it as a bad guy. We wound up with such a high karma level we were Heroes of the Wasteland, but it was really hard not to steal shit from our "friends".
Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I forgot to mention, you do not get unlimited ammo so you have to plan the best weapon for each enemy based on how much ammo you have. There are a mind boggling number of weapons to find and you have to keep everything in good repair. Your guns and armor get damaged in combat and you have to find like items to make repairs.
Ok this sounds a lot like STALKER.

Ammo was around but you still had to conserve and take what you could from the dead. Your guns were customizable, but they and armor/suits would wear down. After a while your rifles and pistols would get less accurate and jam more and more and your armor would provide less protection from bullets and from the elements. Also, you had to find more radiation proof suits the deeper in "the zone" you got and you had to do things like eat constantly and watch your radiation levels. I loved the planning how you're going to get across the maps to your objectives, using battle tactics and and survival tactics also. STALKER is also open source, so there's some unreal mods for the game too to make it truely what it was supposed to be, where you're even more reliant on survival tactics and resting/sleeping as much as anything else and they made the game look much much more creepy (especially at night and in "dungeons") and the creatures were more intelligent and harder to fight. I remember one mod where some of the mutant animals would actually hunt you at night.

Now I'm getting excited.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 05:16 PM
Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #30
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
I downloaded the HAWX demo, freaking awesome. Definitely picking it up once it's out.

I assume you've covered all the basics like Halo 3, The Orange Box (ie Portal!), Bioshock, etc... Have you checked out Ninja Gaiden 2? Not a shooter, but still good fun.
Halo never really did much for me. Not a bad game. Plenty of fun, but too shallow.

The orange box looks cool, I'll have to look into it, but what I get will have to be platform based since my old sony is too weak to play STALKER or even BF2 and I have to update the OS on my MAC so I can run bootcamp again before I can even play those.

Bioshock looked really cool, but I want something more nuclear wasteland at the moment. I was so close to buying a used copy of it, until L4D came out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: