User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #4036
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,651
Got my hands on Assassins Creed 2... nice game. The italian is a nice touch.

Very linear gameplay and the feather collecting is annoying. They also could have done a bit more to get rid of that console feeling and the graphics are often enough taken directly from prince of persia.

I would have loved a real mission in the modern environment. Maybe that's in Assassins Creed 3. Otherwise this whole future/memory thing wouldn't make any sense. The riddles for The Truth are great and surprisingly difficult.
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #4037
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,114
Well after not having any new games, I went back to teh PS2 and started playing MGS Snake Eater. Problem is I don't know where the disc is! I have the case though. I ended up having to open my yet unopened MGS pack. It has MSG Subsistance which is an updated MGS Snake Eater.

Graphics still look decent and the game play is still a bit funky but that's how all of the MGS's are. I did find that you have to use stealth. Trying to shoot a moving target is next to impossible so you have no change of fighting it out. Zoom on the binoc's are clunky and not nearly as quick as they should be.

I played Snake Eater originally when it came out but stopped about 1/4 way through. I didn't want to reuse my old save as I have forgotten most of what the story is about. Maybe I'll play MGS Substance (Sons of Liberty) again afterwards.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #4038
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
For stealth, I also really enjoyed the Tenchu Stealth Assassins ninja series games beginning from the PS1 editions onward.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #4039
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,665
Ok. What next? I played Mass effect 1&2. Enjoyed 2, but not enough to want to play it again- yet. Played fallout 3 and NV. 3 was better, but I still don't feel like playing it again. The kids got COD BO. I spent an hour playing it, and just don't like the non stop run and gun type game I guess.
Now what?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #4040
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ok. What next? I played Mass effect 1&2. Enjoyed 2, but not enough to want to play it again- yet. Played fallout 3 and NV. 3 was better, but I still don't feel like playing it again. The kids got COD BO. I spent an hour playing it, and just don't like the non stop run and gun type game I guess.
Now what?
My impressions of those games are the same as yours (LOVED FO3). I am trying Assassins' Creed: Brotherhood right now. I am underwhelmed so far, but I'm not in too deeply so I am giving it a chance.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #4041
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Now what?
Stalker?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #4042
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 316
I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas, not to mention Oblivion have ruined me. Picked up Halo Reach last week, fun to just gun and run for a while but all of sudden it finished, seemed like only a few hours of play time. Seems like more effort is put in multi-player than the campaigns. Just heard the new Dues Ex got pushed back, might have to replay Fallout 3 again or maybe try Red Dead, is it any good?

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #4043
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK View Post
I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas, not to mention Oblivion have ruined me. Picked up Halo Reach last week, fun to just gun and run for a while but all of sudden it finished, seemed like only a few hours of play time. Seems like more effort is put in multi-player than the campaigns. Just heard the new Dues Ex got pushed back, might have to replay Fallout 3 again or maybe try Red Dead, is it any good?
I was hoping Red Dead would be like FO3 and it wasn't for me. I don't like the 3rd person view for some reason. I wasnt as drawn into the story because of that aspect. It's probably been out long enough that you could buy a used copy from gamestop if you're worried about dropping the coin on a game.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #4044
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I was hoping Red Dead would be like FO3 and it wasn't for me. I don't like the 3rd person view for some reason. I wasnt as drawn into the story because of that aspect. It's probably been out long enough that you could buy a used copy from gamestop if you're worried about dropping the coin on a game.

Thanks for the heads-up. I seem to prefer the 1st person point of view too, if I find it cheap enough might have to give it a try, heard the story line is decent.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #4045
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 490
I enjoyed the hell out of RDR, and I'm also a big fan on F3, FNV, Oblivion, etc.
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #4046
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Red dead kicks ass.

I'm winding down on Uncharted 2. I like it. all the clim ing ahit is cool
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #4047
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
I was a first-person-shooter exclusive player until I tried "Uncharted 2." I enjoyed it enough to try more with the third person perspective.

A group of gamers I hang out with were raving about how much stupid fun "Just Cause 2" was so I tried it.

They were right. No better way to describe it than "stupid fun." The game has, IIRC, almost 100 unique vehicles you can drive, ride, fly, or pilot. There are numerous timed speed challenges in the game-- done with boats, planes, wheeled vehicles.

The most fun is to take one of the motorcycles and just haul ass around the map. And the map is huge. It takes over 100 hours of gameplay to complete all the quests, challenges, clear all the settlements, etc.

The voice acting is terrible. The storyline is absurd. In-game physics are completely unrealistic. But...it is probably the most fun I have had playing a game and it is the only game that has made me repeatedly laugh out loud because of the silly and weird things that happen. Someone described it as being "Grand Theft Auto" plus "Spiderman" and "Uncharted 2." If you can embrace the absurdity of it all, it is quite fun and a nice change of pace from the dark nature of many of the games we play.

Here's a longish clip of gameplay.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood

eoR screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 01:59 PM
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #4048
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
By the tine "Red Dead Redemption" came out I was comfortable with the third person perspective. Even though I don't particularly care for the "Western" genre I really enjoyed RDR. It is a wonderfully executed game with an engaging story. It is difficult not to get emotionally attached to the main character.

After multiple play throughs of Mass Effect 1 and 2, I went back and played my favorite first person shooter. After all those third person games, it felt uncomfortable and claustrophobic -- like I had blinders on. It was a strange experience, given how much of a devote' of first person games I had been.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #4049
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
I've always been a Metal Gear fan, so I'm used to 3rd person. But I hated Resident Evil
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #4050
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,665
I took a snow day and stayed home today. Would have been the perfect time to get in to a new game, yet nothing is calling me. So I spent the day playing angry birds on the ipod touch.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: