User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #4216
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
I liked what was on Youtube about Homefront, so I picked it up on Tuesday. Not impressed.

Graphics are so-so. Certainly not up to Call of Duty standards. Nowhere near it.

Single player is horrible. Movement is just....off sometimes. Lousy actors. Like bad school play lousy. Not feeling the story line, either.

Multiplayer is actually not bad. Movement is better than single player. Graphics still so-so. Doesn't seem to have much lag. Maps are decent sized.

It'll be getting traded in soon. Maybe I'll try Bulletstorm.

What I'm really ready for is the next COD Modern Warfare. Or Battlefield 3. But those aren't coming out until about November. Crap.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #4217
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
I like Homefront- I'm all about the multiplayer, and team offensive games.

I'm also waiting for MW3- but I'm not a big fad of the Treyarch series.

I would say save your homefront for a bit, and let them make some tweaks.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4218
XPADREX
Funslinger

I might also add that I like supporting a third option to the current FPS oligarchy.

This game has some possibilities, especially if you get in with a crew that works the mic and splits duties.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #4219
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX View Post
I might also add that I like supporting a third option to the current FPS oligarchy.

This game has some possibilities, especially if you get in with a crew that works the mic and splits duties.
I'm hoping some of the people I play with pick it up, that'll make the multiplayer more fun. If nobody I know gets it it's gone.

I was reading up on Bulletstorm (I kinda liked the demo) but the only online play it seems to have is a co-op mode. I was hoping for a more traditional online multiplayer.

Socom 4 is coming out next month, and it looks like it might be good. I used to play a LOT of Socom 2 and 3 on the PS2, haven't cared for the last couple versions. I should probably try using my PS3 for more than a dvd player.
http://www.socom.com/en-us/Home

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #4220
XPADREX
Funslinger

So far, only a few of the guys on my friends list have made threats about getting it.

I will tell you, I played it for several hours last night- and I like it more each time.

People DEF need to use mics more, but what I found was that when I entered a room full of veteran team-based objective games, it was evident.

I would launch a vehicle and call for a gunner, and next thing I know, someone spawned in to assist, and vice versa. People actually leapt on cap points.

I wasn't the only one taking down drones and helicopters, and conversely, a couple would volunteer for drone duty.

It was AWESOME.

I hope you stick around with it.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #4221
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Can somebody explain Little Big Planet to me? I tried playing it a little and haven't really been able to get into it... I find all the building/sharing levels thing to be a little daunting. Am I just being a killjoy? I like platformers but the early levels I've played are just too easy.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #4222
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Can somebody explain Little Big Planet to me? I tried playing it a little and haven't really been able to get into it... I find all the building/sharing levels thing to be a little daunting. Am I just being a killjoy? I like platformers but the early levels I've played are just too easy.
Yes you are but that's beside the point. There should be some things you won't be be able to get unless you play with another person. There's no leveling up but to get all of the awards and achievements takes time.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #4223
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
I've been playing Little Big Planet (the first one) and trying to get Hayduke to play with me so I can get all the goodies, but he won't.

I really like the game, but have only been playing by myself and not online. Some of the levels I've soared through and other's have taken me time and time again to get through.

It's a good mindless sort of game!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #4224
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
I've been playing Little Big Planet (the first one) and trying to get Hayduke to play with me so I can get all the goodies, but he won't.

I really like the game, but have only been playing by myself and not online. Some of the levels I've soared through and other's have taken me time and time again to get through.

It's a good mindless sort of game!
I bought it to play with the girlfriend, but whenever she comes over she isn't super interested Maybe I'll finally play it when it when we move in together.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #4225
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I bought it to play with the girlfriend, but whenever she comes over she isn't super interested Maybe I'll finally play it when it when we move in together.
Well, it was a nice thought anyway!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #4226
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,267
I just found out they have an open source version of the best video game ever:

I had it for the 3DO back in the day and the original for Genesis.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #4227
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
Ive been a die hard socom player for 8 years, the beta for the new one is out. Ive been looking forward to this for a long time. Iam a little disapppointed, they have made it to easy, more like a call of duty game. They got rid of the best lobby system and replaced it. Graphics are great , but no demo mode, the life blood of socom games. Ill buy it
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #4228
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,650
Dragon Age 2

So, I got my hands on Dragon Age 2. Let me give you a short review.

+
The fight system is reworked and is much nicer. Spells don't do damage to your own teammates anymore, so your mages can actually use them by themselves. Tactics system is basically the same.
They took the speech wheel from Mass Effect which is a big improvement.
The graphics are improved, though not that much.
There are no more quests "gather 20 of this". Those were annoying anyways.
The crafting system is much improved. You still got to find ressources, but only once. When you have found 4 Elfroot, you can craft anything that requires 4 Elfroot.
Armor is only exchangable for the main player. Your companions got their basic armor that gets better with levels and got some improvement slots. You can find or buy items for these slots. Weapons, belt, rings aso are still exchangable.
The rune system did not change much, it does not require talking anymore. Neither does the shop system. You simply click on their goods. You got a junk folder were you can put all the stuff you want to sell and then sell it at once.

-
That list will appear a bit longer. Gameplay is not that much different. One annoying thing is, that your companions have their own places and are not gathered in easy reach, talking always requires traveling to their place.
You can't really talk to your companions at will anymore. You get a quest when they want to talk to you. No more smalltalk. They still talk when they run around with you and some talks are still hilarious.
Now to the biggest gripes. The game feels limited. The places are very often reused. If you entered the "same" cave for the fifth time, it gets annoying. The game world in general feels very limited, since it is basically in a city and about 4 places around it. Feels only a big bigger than Denerim in Origins.
There are still many hidden quests, but they don't seem as varied.

In origins you could talk to about anybody on the street and they had a comment, that's very limited now. The comments they give when you walk away are also repeated very often.
Seems like they hurried the game to market without the love for detail Origins has.

They stupidly have one of your companions narrate the story that happened. There is that predetermined feel whereas origins gave the feeling of you shaping the future.

It's a much more action driven game in general.

I do like it, though hoped for a much better game.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #4229
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,083

It certainly looks...creative.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #4230
tropo
Unrestrained Slacker

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post

It certainly looks...creative.
Ha! It looks like something that would be on SyFy on Saturday night...
tropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: