Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #4546
Gauss
Featherless Biped

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How does BF3 compare to BF2?

I liked BF2142 (and played wayyyy too much of it) and mods for BF1942, but something about BF2 just kind of put me off.
My impressions:

General Gameplay: The sound, graphics, destruction and (IMHO) gun handling is much better than BF2...I don't like the vehicle unlock system they have in place, and things like auto heal or auto repairs limit the need for teamplay...but overall that is a minor gripe.

Squad/Teamplay/Classes: Squads are cut down to 4 with no in game squad VOIP. As far as built in comms, you can create a channel out of game in a web interface, then join the match together and have comms (in the end it is kind of like using a a 3rd part VOIP)... No Commander. Not sure what the role of a Squad Leader is, but it is there...Comm Rose is in a larva stage at the moment (comes up with a few commands, but does not seem to really do anything)...It will be patched. There are 4 classes, which are very similar in style to what you had in 2142 (from what I hear anyway, I missed out on that one and never played it)

Maps: Overall, smaller, and more cramped. But most are still fun with 64 player conquest. Oh, the only conquest mode is "Head on"...no assault or double assault, etc...

Overall, I really enjoy playing it, but I will miss some of the teamplay aspects that BF2 had.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #4547
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,582
Squad leader can issue the "attack this point" commands and gets 20 points if it is carried out.
64 players servers and only A-H squads doesn't work. In BF2 you could start your own squad (like "ADV") and name it what you wanted. Definitely needs work.

The joystick mapping is buggy as can be. When I go into airplane or heli I get 2 throttle down mappings and neither works.

I really don't like the self heal and self repair over time. They should make it 1/4 the speed of what it is to get folks to work together more.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #4548
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I've got a question about BF3 and MW3. Is there any point in getting either of these games if you don't do the online gaming play? I guess I've always been more of a loner and never hooked up with anyone for online play. Maybe I would like it, who knows. However, if these two games are only good for online play then I know I'd never bother playing them and it would be a waste of money.

MW2/vlack ops had the single player and the specops missions. Tons of gameplay between just those two. I had friends who played weeks and weeks before even touching multiplayer. Both MW2/BO seemed a little easier to drop in multiplayer without a group and have fun to me at least
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #4549
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Just finished the campaign in BF3. So lame. Fun enough, but still lame.

Multiplayer though is being so good to me. I haven't had much time with it since I keep having to do other shit after I play a round.

Am I the only one though not liking Origin or this Battlelog browser crap, or the constant internet connection DRM? I really wish this had come out on Steam.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #4550
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post

Multiplayer though is being so good to me. I haven't had much time with it since I keep having to do other shit after I play a round.

Am I the only one though not liking Origin or this Battlelog browser crap, or the constant internet connection DRM? I really wish this had come out on Steam.
What was lame about it?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #4551
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
What was lame about it?
Just felt really trite. The story itself has been used a few times recently (Black Ops, anyone?), and the gameplay was just lacking something. It all felt so contrived. The end was fucking stupid.

Which is fine, everyone is buying this for multiplayer anyway. Just not sure why they felt the need to have a single player story campaign this time.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #4552
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,103
Quote:
Nope, I agree that it's a bit of a PITA. It means you have to run your web browser to start the game which is dumb especially for the guy's who are at the minimum requirements. They should of have it all in-game like they used to way back when. Or else have the game run like it used to and then use Origin as the front end to setup COM's and join games. It would be nice if they made squads of 6 instead of 4 but I'm not complaining much. If you want more people you'll probably run TS2 or TS3 already. It's kinda nice to know what others on different part of the map are doing although I can see it get complicated with all the chatter.

Is there a way to turn off the chat window? So far I've been pretty content with MP. I think I'm starting to like Rush more then Conquest though. Less revisiting real estate you've already grabbed. Also, I think I've hit my stride. I'm at Lvl 5 now so I have some decent stuff finally.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #4553
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 758
Sounds like more drama from EA... I think for now I'll keep playing World of Tanks.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #4554
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Sounds like more drama from EA... I think for now I'll keep playing World of Tanks.
Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal really. Just takes two steps when it should take one.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #4555
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 758
Your missing the point Jeffy.... World of tanks... world of tanks!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #4556
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
On Kharg island, has anyone discover that if you spawn at the runway and there aren't any planes you're forced to sit there until you either quit or kill yourself with a nade? LAME!

Who's running xbox 360?

My gamer tag is bryantrp if you want to add me.

Game on!

B

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin

Beelzabob screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 11:24 AM
Beelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #4557
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzabob View Post
On Kharg island, has anyone discover that if you spawn at the runway and there aren't any planes you're forced to sit there until you either quit or kill yourself with a nade? LAME!

Who's running xbox 360?

Game on!

B
Join the ADV Platoon.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #4558
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:

I agree the campaign sucked so bad....they spend so much money on putting these games out but the single player story lines are so bad.

I have not tried multi player yet.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #4559
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzabob View Post

Who's running xbox 360?

Game on!

B

that happened to me over the weekend...just suicide
Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #4560
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I agree the campaign sucked so bad....they spend so much money on putting these games out but the single player story lines are so bad.

I have not tried multi player yet.
Unfortunatly most FPSs aren't made for campaign mode anymore. I hate how the game forces you to follow their pace, which usually means sprinting rather then letting you control the pace. The endless spawning of the AI gets a bit frustrating since you have limited ammo. There just rushing you from one gauntlet to the next most of the time. No brains(tactics) required. I doubt MW3 will be much different. With that said I think the campaign is ok-ish. I'd wait for the price to drop if you want it only for SP mode.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: