Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #4846
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
Picked up BF3 for 30 bucks on the black friday deal. Now it's showing me how much my GTX275 is dated. So... GTX570 or 580?
I'd go with the 580 if you want the best single card solution although it's also the hottest. You could also go with a 560 2WIN or get two 560 TI's and go SLI and be faster then the 580. The only advantage to the 570/580 is that you can do SLI later but you'll need a big case with a lot of cooling and a decent PSU. Otherwise go with the 560's and then upgrade both cards later down the road.

I have two 560 Ti 1024mb in SLI but there is a 2048mb version out as well now. That would give you a fast card in SLI and not have the memory limitations from SLI.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #4847
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Well,that's just a major FUUUUUCCCKKK discovery.I thought the big prize was the black soul gem. I killed the first person I saw after that and saw it was filled and was happy. Then, somewhere along the line after that I SOLD azuras star.
I looked at my saves, and I would have to go back almost 8 hours of game time and about 6 completed quests to get back to when I think I sold it.

I don't know why you're even stressing about that. Functionally there's no difference between a Black Soul Gem/The Black Star and your run of the mill Grand Soul Gem as far as enchanting is concerned. Unless you're the type to recharge your weapons after every kill or something.

I've got over 100 Grand Soul Gems (fiiled) stashed away. I tend to buy them as fillers when the merchant doesn't have enough money to cover the cost of the item I'm selling.

With the Banish and Paralyze enchants on iron daggers I can sell each for about 2000. Money no longer matters, I'm at the point now where I grab whatever I want from the merchants, sell them a dagger, keep the change. This frees me up from the tedium of cleaning out dungeons/bandits for cash. I go in light, and only pick up light stuff (potions, gold, daggers, ingredients, etc.).
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #4848
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post
I don't know why you're even stressing about that. Functionally there's no difference between a Black Soul Gem/The Black Star and your run of the mill Grand Soul Gem as far as enchanting is concerned. Unless you're the type to recharge your weapons after every kill or something.
Yeah, I decided it wasn't worth it to go back and get it. I was mostly worried it would come in to play further along the story line, but hopefully if that was the case, it would have been one of those items they won't let you remove from inventory.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #4849
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,380
What are you using for Grand souls?

I'm starting to think I might not be playing the game right.
I'm level 23 and I'm been focusing entirely on random side quests.
I don't carry any weapons, and I don't wear armor. I'm a mage, and I'm getting my ass kicked by most creatures in the game. I'm pretty sure I couldn't take down a Giant or a mammoth--they pretty much kill me in a single blow, so I just run away.

The main problem I have is that in battle, I run out of magicka pretty quickly. When level up, I increase magicka 90% of the time, and focusing on unlocking magic perks. I wear a +30 magic crown, +30 magic necklace, +9 magic ring, and robes that make magic regenerate faster and destruction cost less to cast, but even taking out a cave bear can use up most of my magic. I think most of that goes into healing spells since I take a LOT of damage with even one hit...

My goal for this game (at least first time through) was to avoid using weapons, and to not be dependant on alchemy.

I think I'm going to have to focus a lot more on enchanting, so I can make armor with similar magicka bonuses to my robes and stuff. I haven't really done any enchanting besides some easy stuff to sell.

Before I can make kick-ass enchantments, though, I need to get some grand souls. Before I can get grand souls, I need to be able to slay some mammoths or....dunno what else is easily available for Grands. I guess I first really just need to stock up on potions....
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4850
ScorpioVI

FWIW, I just started enchanting magic stuff. With enchanting maxed out, I couldn't replicate the Master Robes (25% less magicka for whatever + 150% regeneration). Although I was able to make rings and necklaces for +60 Fortify Magicka + Magicka Regen.

I wouldn't worry about Grand Soul Gems if I were you. At least not until you max out Enchant and start enchanting your own gear. Buy up all the petty and lesser soul gems you see and make stuff to sell from those. Banish in particular is a very strong enchantment worth $$$. By the time you get your Enchant maxed you wouldn't even have to worry about soul-trapping since you'll be dripping money you can buy all the soul gems in the world.

I pretty much ignored magic in the game, but now my character is too powerful with weapons. With smithing/enchanting maxed out I can 1-shot-kill Giants and Centurions. Bad guys take 2 hits from my sword and that's it. I just got to the mages guild and I actually had to use an Elsweyr Fondue just so I can pass the Fear test, my magic is weak.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4851
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,380
Quote:
I pretty much ignored magic in the game, but now my character is too powerful with weapons. With smithing/enchanting maxed out I can 1-shot-kill Giants and Centurions. Bad guys take 2 hits from my sword and that's it. I just got to the mages guild and I actually had to use an Elsweyr Fondue just so I can pass the Fear test, my magic is weak.
LOL.
I just joined the Companions. First thing I have to do is attack the instructor so they can see how well I fight.
So I conjure a flame atronauch on him. Both he and the atronauch just stand, staring at each other, in attack stance, but neither move. Flame expires, and he tells me again to attack him.
So I cast an Ice Storm on him, and he's all like, "What are doing? That's not how we fight!"

Finally, I get a bow and arrow, and shot him in the head about three times. He then calmly says, with the arrows putruding from his eyeballs, cheeks, and neck, that I might end up being useful.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #4852
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
LOL.
I just joined the Companions. First thing I have to do is attack the instructor so they can see how well I fight.
So I conjure a flame atronauch on him. Both he and the atronauch just stand, staring at each other, in attack stance, but neither move. Flame expires, and he tells me again to attack him.
So I cast an Ice Storm on him, and he's all like, "What are doing? That's not how we fight!"

Finally, I get a bow and arrow, and shot him in the head about three times. He then calmly says, with the arrows putruding from his eyeballs, cheeks, and neck, that I might end up being useful.
Only magic or only weapons do not really work. There can be a preference of course.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #4853
ScorpioVI

Awesome!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #4854
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Awesome!

LOL Even better... The ad that YouTube stuck on that video for me was "Want a Real Girlfriend?"

Guess they have a gamer stereotype.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #4855
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,335
Quote:
Awesome!

Holy crap! That was awesome!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #4856
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Awesome!

That is fkn awesome. I love the archery in this game.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #4857
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,415
Well, I just spent the night doing nothing but smithing, enchanting, and selling stuff. Sure did cause me to level up quick.
I know I'm not using the right combo of potions, spells, enchantments and whatever, because I ended up losing a ton of money doing it while buying the materials instead of going out and getting them all. In the long run, I think it was worth it. No need to just keep building up that dang cash pile anyway. I'll get back to clearing mini quests tomorrow and see where that gets me.
Crap. I wanted to look at where my skill levels are at everythign before I turned it off and I didn't. And I know I can't go back down there and turn it back on and only look at them and not play....

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #4858
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,866
Got home last night and did a bit of wandering around. Started the quest to find the Staff of Magnus so I figured I'd locate the ruins and hit the hay.

Drop the kids off at school this morning and figure to myself, I'll just run through these ruins and grab the staff before I start my chores for today. Two and a half hours later I'm still wandering around this damn place.

I swear that stupid staff is just around the next corner.

P.S. I my Flame Atronach.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #4859
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,483
At least they have a very realistic approach to marriage. No sex, but my better half gives me half of his newly opened shop's income and cooks a meal once a day. In addition... the "dear" and "my love" sound really miserable.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #4860
ScorpioVI

How the heck do you even get married? I tried leg-humping a hot Nord but that didn't go over too well...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: