User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #4936
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 665
Just got Batman: Arkham City for the computer today. Was included in a bundle with a 64 GB Samsung SSD (from TigerDirect for under $98). I guess on Monday I will be reinstalling my computer.
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #4937
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 489
Heh, I just had a "Skyrim moment" here at work when I walked out the door and saw these guys...

ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #4938
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post
Heh, I just had a "Skyrim moment" here at work when I walked out the door and saw these guys...

In a real Skyrim moment, they'd be in flames by the time you got out the camera.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #4939
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
In a real Skyrim moment, they'd be in flames by the time you got out the camera.

Or full of arrows.
Love archery. This games got it's hooks in me good. Haven't had a game grab me like this since ME1-2.

If you are on the fence, grab it. It's that good.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #4940
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,380
WOW.
Switching from a Flame Atronouch spell to the The Summon Dremora Lord spell has changed this game from "really freaking hard" to "Pretty easy."

Damn, those guys are tough.

Now that I think about it, since I'm playing without any weapons or armor, it was probably a silly idea to complete all the Companions quests before doing all the College quests. Starting on those now.

After that, I'll do the Bards Quests, and maybe after that I'll actually start on the Civil War or the Dragon quests. Maybe after I start doing the main quests, this game will start making sense.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #4941
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Ok guys, I have a question. Having never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before, would it be worth it to go back and play Oblivion before diving into Skyrim? I can get it cheap on Steam....
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #4942
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Ok guys, I have a question. Having never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before, would it be worth it to go back and play Oblivion before diving into Skyrim? I can get it cheap on Steam....
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #4943
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
I definately preferred Morrowind to Oblivion. Oblivion is an absolutely great game, but Morrowind was just fantastic!
Of course, it's also almost 10 years old at this point.

If you play Morrowind or Oblivion, you will definately be buying Skyrim as soon as you finish, just to continue the storyline. When you play Skyrim, you'll be able to appreciate all the references to the earlier games.

Those references are mostly in books in libraries, though, so unless you actually enjoy reading stories and books in game, you might not see most of them anyway, and they're not related to the plot.

If you play Skyrim first, you'll probably desire to go back and play the earlier ones as well, but it might not be to the same level--as in, if you have a wife and kids, you might be able to resist ignoring and neglecting them for ANOTHER 2 months and just leave it at Skyrim.

Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 are both available for free downloads, by the way. I paid $5 for a used copy of 3 (Morrowind) several years back at Gamestop, I'd imagine Oblivion (4) is probably the same price. Check eBay?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #4944
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I definately preferred Morrowind to Oblivion. Oblivion is an absolutely great game, but Morrowind was just fantastic!
Of course, it's also almost 10 years old at this point.

If you play Morrowind or Oblivion, you will definately be buying Skyrim as soon as you finish, just to continue the storyline. When you play Skyrim, you'll be able to appreciate all the references to the earlier games.

Those references are mostly in books in libraries, though, so unless you actually enjoy reading stories and books in game, you might not see most of them anyway, and they're not related to the plot.

If you play Skyrim first, you'll probably desire to go back and play the earlier ones as well, but it might not be to the same level--as in, if you have a wife and kids, you might be able to resist ignoring and neglecting them for ANOTHER 2 months and just leave it at Skyrim.

Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 are both available for free downloads, by the way. I paid $5 for a used copy of 3 (Morrowind) several years back at Gamestop, I'd imagine Oblivion (4) is probably the same price. Check eBay?
Thanks for the info Skippii! I wish my computer could handle games still, I'd download Morrowind from Steam, but I just don't think it will work. Nothing else does anyway. But, I did find that Gamestop has Oblivion(game of the year edition) for PS3 for $19.99. I may go ahead and get that one, so I will have a little better understanding of what's going on when Santa brings me Skyrim!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4945
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,414
The further along I get, the more glitches I'm having.
I can't go back to Marthal(?) anymore. I completed the quest there where I helped the forsorn break out of jail, but did it without being arrested in the temple. Now every time I walk in the town, they want to arrest me,but no matter what speech option I pick,they just stand there andgo in to an endless loop of the speech options. :Baldy
I finally hit 100 in smithing, and getting close in enchanting as well. I just need to work on my alchemy so I can start making uber armor and weapons.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #4946
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
Thanks for the info Skippii! I wish my computer could handle games still, I'd download Morrowind from Steam, but I just don't think it will work.
Seriously? How old is your computer?
Morrowind runs on Windows 98 with 128 Megabytes of Ram.
Hell, Morrowind might be the first thing ever to run perfectly on Windows ME. (That's how I played it.)
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #4947
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Upon further review, Oblivion doesn't play well with Vista, even when run in XP compatibility mode. Skyrim is downloading now.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #4948
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Seriously? How old is your computer?
Morrowind runs on Windows 98 with 128 Megabytes of Ram.
Hell, Morrowind might be the first thing ever to run perfectly on Windows ME. (That's how I played it.)
It's an HP laptop, I think it's about 4 years old now. I've tried to play some other older games on it and it just gets really hot and then shuts down without warning. I was afraid I was going to totally fry the thing, so I stopped playing games on it and went and bought a PS3. It seemed like a much better deal than going out and buying another laptop.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #4949
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Upon further review, Oblivion doesn't play well with Vista, even when run in XP compatibility mode. Skyrim is downloading now.
It seems like that is an issue for a lot of older games. My stupid laptop is a Vista 64 bit machine.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #4950
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
I tried Oblivion a few months back...from what I remember it has more differences than similarities to Skyrim.

Gameplay, interface, char interaction, were all clunky and second rate compared to "good" games like FO and ME. (IMO)

The movement keys/style bothered the crap out of me too. I played Oblivion for a few levels and got quickly bored.

Skyrim is a masterpiece. I don't feel at a loss not having played the previous versions. But keep in mind I'm more of an action/adventure type than a "need a good story" type.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: