Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #5146
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Just bought my first ever dedicated console(a PS3) after decades on a PC. Got tired of the regular hardware upgrade costs and the kids were killing it on the PS2. the Netflix etc was nice too. But am I'm doomed with the games standard controls. Is there a keyboard mouse like controller for these or anything "different"? I will never get used to those joysticks. Certainly not to the point I was on the desktop.

7 or 8 years ago I felt the same way about the pc hardware thing. Switched to console gaming and didn't look back. You'll get used to it, just give it time. I didn't think a controller could compare to the options and precision of a keyboard and mouse either, but I haven't thought about it in many years now.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #5147
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK View Post
I think I might have a problem! Just passed 400 hrs on Skyrim and have yet to finish the main Quest line. This thing is freakin huge. Glad it's been winter or I'd really feel guilty about this time soak. Maybe I need an intervention
I thought we were bad logging 300 hours between the four of us.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #5148
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
I've been told I serve as a good "bad example"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
I thought we were bad logging 300 hours between the four of us.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #5149
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
Give it some time, the joysticks will become second nature before you know it. I went through the same thing, got tired of the PC needing an upgrade every time a new game came out, got an X-box and haven't looked back. Do miss playing Thief though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Just bought my first ever dedicated console(a PS3) after decades on a PC. Got tired of the regular hardware upgrade costs and the kids were killing it on the PS2. the Netflix etc was nice too. But am I'm doomed with the games standard controls. Is there a keyboard mouse like controller for these or anything "different"? I will never get used to those joysticks. Certainly not to the point I was on the desktop.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #5150
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK View Post
Give it some time, the joysticks will become second nature before you know it. I went through the same thing, got tired of the PC needing an upgrade every time a new game came out, got an X-box and haven't looked back. Do miss playing Thief though.
Total respect for this point of view and billions of gamers obviously can't be wrong. Hell I've got 10 and 11 year old kids in my own house that prove it to me every day. And I know no one is "special" but I seriously do ot have it. I'm no world champ but I was pretty freaking good on the PC. With a game mouse and custom keystrokes I'm seriously lethal. And I'm 48 now. The KB/Mouse has been hardwired to my brain since prehistoric times (Shareware Wolfenstien years or so ). I'm not really interested in sucking that long and I can't even concieve of the level of thumb control to get aiming down at the speed and precision of a mouse. ugh...

anyway... I did some hunting and found this setup from Eagle Eye anybody have any experience with it? I'm hopeful.
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Mouse-Ke.../dp/B0040UAYI4
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #5151
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
FloridaSteve, I feel your pain. I just turned 30, but have only been playing FPS on the consoles for about 2 years now. I think I am finally getting good at it now! That said, I really don't play that much. My kids are all under 6, so I have never wanted to play violent, graphic games around them. So I only play at night really, and even then only when my wife is preoccupied with something else.

So, if you play a bit more than I am able, I would think a few months would be all that's needed. It will take a while to develop the muscle memory that you have with a KB/mouse. I can still get on the PC and fire up COD4 and do very well, and I only play it every few months. That is all due to muscle memory. You'll get it, with time.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #5152
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
FloridaSteve, I feel your pain. I just turned 30, but have only been playing FPS on the consoles for about 2 years now. I think I am finally getting good at it now! That said, I really don't play that much. My kids are all under 6, so I have never wanted to play violent, graphic games around them. So I only play at night really, and even then only when my wife is preoccupied with something else.

So, if you play a bit more than I am able, I would think a few months would be all that's needed. It will take a while to develop the muscle memory that you have with a KB/mouse. I can still get on the PC and fire up COD4 and do very well, and I only play it every few months. That is all due to muscle memory. You'll get it, with time.
Or not.
I bought an xbox just over a year ago. I play way too much and still suck at the controls. My boy who I let play maybe a tenth of what I'm allowed to play(because I'm the DAD! That's why!) picked it up in no time and flat out kills me in head to head games where quick aiming and shooting is the main focus.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #5153
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Or not.
I bought an xbox just over a year ago. I play way too much and still suck at the controls. My boy who I let play maybe a tenth of what I'm allowed to play(because I'm the DAD! That's why!) picked it up in no time and flat out kills me in head to head games where quick aiming and shooting is the main focus.
Well, age is certainly a factor in building muscle memory. Memory of any kind is much more elastic in kids than adults.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #5154
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Or not.
While practice does help it's still not as precise as the mouse and keyboard. I do all my FPS on the PC. Actually if there s a PC version I'll get that instead.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #5155
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
While practice does help it's still not as precise as the mouse and keyboard. I do all my FPS on the PC. Actually if there s a PC version I'll get that instead.
Ditto.

I stopped online FPS games on consoles with Halo2. The twitch-monkeys were just too much for me. I'll stick to PC FPSs where I have a chance at letting my old age and treachery overcome their youth and skill.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #5156
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,027
Anybody playing the latest Zelda for the Wii (Skyward Sword)?

Just got it a few weeks back. Have logged 25 hours and only just completed the third dungeon. The motion control of swinging the wii-mote for the sword is actually a lot better done than I thought it would be. The motion control for all the other weapons pretty well sucks but it doesn't ruin the game by any means.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #5157
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Anybody playing the latest Zelda for the Wii (Skyward Sword)?

Just got it a few weeks back. Have logged 25 hours and only just completed the third dungeon. The motion control of swinging the wii-mote for the sword is actually a lot better done than I thought it would be. The motion control for all the other weapons pretty well sucks but it doesn't ruin the game by any means.
I'm waiting till someone has a real VR type of game like this. I want to put on a helmet, have a sword and shield, and go dungeon crawling like that. I figure some type of helmet mounted display isn't too far off. I figure with tech like the Kinect, it'll even know if you duck or move to dodge attacks. Talk about a nice workout from your game.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #5158
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I'm waiting till someone has a real VR type of game like this. I want to put on a helmet, have a sword and shield, and go dungeon crawling like that. I figure some type of helmet mounted display isn't too far off. I figure with tech like the Kinect, it'll even know if you duck or move to dodge attacks. Talk about a nice workout from your game.
Into LARPing huh?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #5159
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Into LARPing huh?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #5160
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
I'm beginning to develop a real love/hate relationship with pub battles on WoT.....the matchmaker in that game still needs some serious work. And I won't even begin to rant about the idiot kiddies that charge off into battle without waiting for backup (aka me), get killed and then call me an idiot because my T-26 can't keep up with their BT-2...

(this happened on top of the hill in Himmelsdorf for those that play WoT)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: