Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #5326
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I doubt my comp can even handle top end gaming

Still on the W3540 Xeon @ 2.93 GHz, 12GB of RAM, but here is the real weak spot, a Quadro FX 580. This is what really gets me about PC gaming, if I wanted to be able to run the games at their best settings I would constantly need to upgrade my video card costing more than a console each time. Even if I want to wait around a bit the lifespan of a console is what 8-10 years now? Over that time to run games at not the highest but still pretty good settings you're looking at 2-3 complete upgrades of the computer and probably an additional video card or 2.
Once you build a computer that's near the top specs., it's easier to stay on top. Upgrading a video card every 3-5 years will keep you up there. Also being able to OC your processor helps a lot. Fall too far behind and you have to start from scratch.

But then you'll be wanting to build the computer more for gaming and not business/work although a gaming computer could be used for both.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #5327
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,707
Quote:
I doubt my comp can even handle top end gaming

Still on the W3540 Xeon @ 2.93 GHz, 12GB of RAM, but here is the real weak spot, a Quadro FX 580. This is what really gets me about PC gaming, if I wanted to be able to run the games at their best settings I would constantly need to upgrade my video card costing more than a console each time. Even if I want to wait around a bit the lifespan of a console is what 8-10 years now? Over that time to run games at not the highest but still pretty good settings you're looking at 2-3 complete upgrades of the computer and probably an additional video card or 2.
KTMs are unreliable and need constant maintenance.
Japanese bikes are bulletproof.
Harley riders are all in gangs.

All are common fallacies.

Computers are the same. I built my comp for around 1200 over 4 years ago and it still plays the latest games at max resolution. Hell, I can have 2 games running at the same time with nary a hiccup.

I hate the console vs comp debate, ffs play what you got. But I do dislike misinformation.

"Having to upgrade your comp every year to play games" is flat-out false.

YMMV.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #5328
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 752
Still playing Skyrim... almost 100 hours in and I still havent gotten jorgen windcallers horn yet :/ Too many side quests/guilds to do, plus for my a.d.d. ass, theres always a new cave to clear.... GOTY for sure in my books, as much as I do like world of tanks
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #5329
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

YMMV.
Yep!

I have had my computer for 4 years now, and the only thing that could really use an upgrade is the video card. New games just will not run at an acceptable frame rate unless I turn the settings down. I am actually planning on building another computer in a few months, I just haven't decided if I want to wait for Windows 8 or not Of course, I already have a Windows 7 disc, so I can upgrade at any time...

Anyone know if a 3rd generation Intel Core i3,5,7, or 9 processor is in the works? The latest processors are really nice, but seems like it is about time for the next generation. I haven't been keeping up.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #5330
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
KTMs are unreliable and need constant maintenance.
Japanese bikes are bulletproof.
Harley riders are all in gangs.

All are common fallacies.

Computers are the same. I built my comp for around 1200 over 4 years ago and it still plays the latest games at max resolution. Hell, I can have 2 games running at the same time with nary a hiccup.

I hate the console vs comp debate, ffs play what you got. But I do dislike misinformation.

YMMV.
I'll find a demo and see what kinda FPS I can get, any suggestions on a good video intensive game?

My issue is I have to buy decently fast computers for my work (I usually go a 2-3 steps below top of the line...basically the most bang for your buck processor) so if I get an upgraded video card I'd have to go through Dell which will cost an arm and a leg since the on site service/having everything covered is key.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 04:28 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #5331
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Visit tomshardware.com and make your pick.. Plenty of choices starting from $60 for a video card...

Things have slowed down on the pc front, even my 2006 (then top of the line) can run modern games decently. The Mhz race is over since they hit unsolvable engineering problems and now minor design enhancements don't make a huge difference making the very top of the line unattractive for the required cost.

An i5 with 8gb of ram and about $180 on a video card will get you at least 3 years of maxed out gaming bliss, and let's not forget that the resolutions and video quality of a gaming pc are on a whole different level than any console's wet dream...

But it's true that they are two different markets and respective buyers value completely different factors (for consoles cost, ease of use, simplicity, come to mind), but for me the console is simply out of the question...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #5332
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Visit tomshardware.com and make your pick.. Plenty of choices starting from $60 for a video card...

Things have slowed down on the pc front, even my 2006 (then top of the line) can run modern games decently. The Mhz race is over since they hit unsolvable engineering problems and now minor design enhancements don't make a huge difference making the very top of the line unattractive for the required cost.

An i5 with 8gb of ram and about $180 on a video card will get you at least 3 years of maxed out gaming bliss, and let's not forget that the resolutions and video quality of a gaming pc are on a whole different level than any console's wet dream...

But it's true that they are two different markets and respective buyers value completely different factors (for consoles cost, ease of use, simplicity, come to mind), but for me the console is simply out of the question...
I'm actually pretty surprised to see that, I've been looking at CPU benchmarks and my chip which was pretty hot for when it came out (it's similar to an i7) now has a benchmark under 1/3 of the current top i7's and Xeons

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #5333
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Am I the only person playing Max Payne 3 online? I like it so far, it isn't the 'fast pace' of MW3 so you can actually exercise a little more strategy.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #5334
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I've actually been fully distracted by Tropico 4 lately. Bought it on sale for a couple of bucks the other weekend. Pretty entertaining... worth what I paid for it, but probably not full price.
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #5335
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yep!

I have had my computer for 4 years now, and the only thing that could really use an upgrade is the video card. New games just will not run at an acceptable frame rate unless I turn the settings down. I am actually planning on building another computer in a few months, I just haven't decided if I want to wait for Windows 8 or not Of course, I already have a Windows 7 disc, so I can upgrade at any time...

Anyone know if a 3rd generation Intel Core i3,5,7, or 9 processor is in the works? The latest processors are really nice, but seems like it is about time for the next generation. I haven't been keeping up.
Ivy Bridge is out now so Sandy Bridge E has moved into the sweet spot for gaming. Nvidia GTX 680 is out, too. So, power requirements for the newest hardware are actually going down which is a good thing as my current system heats my office to a very comfortable (for the cats) 81 degrees.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #5336
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Ivy Bridge is out now so Sandy Bridge E has moved into the sweet spot for gaming. Nvidia GTX 680 is out, too. So, power requirements for the newest hardware are actually going down which is a good thing as my current system heats my office to a very comfortable (for the cats) 81 degrees.
I'm still happily running a Bloomfield 920 i7 2.66ghz (OC 4.2ghz). I'm also running two Nvidia 560Ti's in SLI and haven't really been hurting at all. The 480 and 580 really were power hungry which is why I went 560 in SLI. I'm still probably good on performance for another year or two. I think the GFX will probably need to replaced before the CPU/MB though. Luckily, I can reuse everything else.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #5337
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'm still happily running a Bloomfield 920 i7 2.66ghz (OC 4.2ghz). I'm also running two Nvidia 560Ti's in SLI and haven't really been hurting at all. The 480 and 580 really were power hungry which is why I went 560 in SLI. I'm still probably good on performance for another year or two. I think the GFX will probably need to replaced before the CPU/MB though. Luckily, I can reuse everything else.
I'm on the same Bloomie running a GTX 285. But besides Skyrim I really don't push my system at all, mostly flash games.

Trying to rationalize buying a GTX 680 as a "green" choice isn't easy, especially when I'm driving a Challenger Hemi.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #5338
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Tomorrow I'm going to start playing Skyrim, goodbye life?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #5339
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
I'm on the same Bloomie running a GTX 285. But besides Skyrim I really don't push my system at all, mostly flash games.

Trying to rationalize buying a GTX 680 as a "green" choice isn't easy, especially when I'm driving a Challenger Hemi.
I'd wait for them to bring out the 660. I still run Arma2 and that's a huge resource hog but it runs fine and looks pretty good with everything cranked up.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #5340
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,707
Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to start playing Skyrim, goodbye life?
Fuck yeah. On the comp? Pffft better stock up on rations.

Give us a review when you come up for air.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: