User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #6211
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,308
Ok, I'm in. Joined the Soviets in lieu of my Grandfather, who was a White Russian in the Bolshevik revolution.

Name is Gravydog.

Wow, friggin intense. I shot down a plane and 3 ground targets in my first mission, which was a loss. My heart was pounding.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #6212
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,347
So do the initial planes just suck? Because I used my 360 controller and it's calibrated right but the plane just will barely climb or dive but roll/yaw are fine though.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #6213
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
It's both.

Most battles are in the Arcade style, but you can go with Historic battles, which are a little more realistic, but can still use mouse and keyboard, or full real, which is joystick, and locked to cockpit view.

A Fantastic game, I've been playing it for a few months.

My handle on WT is "Fahugwagaads".

Everybody to the limit! who's there? It's to the limit!
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #6214
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
So do the initial planes just suck? Because I used my 360 controller and it's calibrated right but the plane just will barely climb or dive but roll/yaw are fine though.
I'm not sure you have it set right.....try playing with the mouse, just to compare.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #6215
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I found using my 350 controller to be a bear. It was way too sensitive and made level flying problematic. This was a bigger issue when trying to line up targets. I switched back to the mouse and keyboard where it's much more easier. I've heard a Joystick makes flying better but aiming again becomes a bit of an issue.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #6216
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,308
FYI we should start a War Thunder thread as to not clutter up this one.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6217
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
FYI we should start a War Thunder thread as to not clutter up this one.
Done. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920389
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6218
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 490
GTA 5 anybody?

Played for about 4 hours last night. Pretty awesome so far but I only did 3 missions and a couple of side jobs.

Los Santos is massive. Took me half an hour to figure out how to get to the airport, made worse by the fact that the unexplored areas of the map is fogged, can't just set a GPS waypoint. Finally ended up finding the right freeway to get there, crashed through the gates (instant 3 star) and jacked a Lear jet. The GTA:SA skill system is back, Franklin can't fly for shit in the beginning, that plane is pitching/yawing/rolling all over the place. It takes 11 minutes to fly the circumference of the island (just tracing the coastline) with the jet throttled down. You get an instant 3 stars when you violate the airspace of the airports, I guess until you officially get your pilot's license. Though the old dirt airstrip from GTA:SA is back (way up north) and you can fly/land there without consequences.

Driving physics is much tightened up compared to GTA:IV. No more floaty boaty feel to the driving, very grounded very tight, although the first few sports cars I jacked felt very twitchy steering-wise. The motos still have that weird upside-down pendulum effect of teetering to one side or another even on the slightest turns. Took a dirtbike up and over Mt. Chilead at night, had a very ADV feel to it because binning that bike up there would've meant a very long walk back to civilization. Came close to hitting a few deer too, very realistic, LOL. Overall I'm very pleased with the driving physics.

Combat is much the same as GTA:IV. The very first mission/tutorial had a COD-type feel of a shooter-on-rails but the controls are pretty intuitive and you should feel right at home if you played GTA:IV.

Los Santos is strangely familiar if you played GTA:SA. The layout is almost the same in some places, and I remember landmarks from GTA:SA that made it's way back to V. The same church, donut shop, stadium, park. That Venice Beach looking area with the boardwalk is almost exactly as it was in GTA:SA. It feels like you're going back to a city you used to live in after several years away, familiar and not at the same time.

I didn't get to spend a lot of time in the wilderness area, but it felt huge. Lots of dirt trails and dirt roads and just... dirt. They did a pretty good job of recreating the CA high desert, it had a very Bakersfield feel to it. The BF Injection is back in the form of an off-road VW Bug, and it flies. Some areas felt like the Oregon coast, a more woody sort of dirty. Loved it, I can see myself wasting hours of my life just tearing up the back country.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with it so far even though I haven't even begun to scratch the surface. If you loved the previous GTAs, you will not be disappointed.
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #6219
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I got GTA today too. Agreed that driving is much improved over the last game. Motorcycle handling appears to be much better too.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #6220
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,559
I will try to stay away from that, it looks way too good for someone who wants to maintain a real life on the side...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #6221
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,592
I am console free at the moment, and was thinking about picking up one of the GTA5 bundles. Just not sure whether to go with the 360 or PS3. I'll never use the BluRay of the PS3, and I do think Kinect is pretty cool, but I just hate the 360 hardware.... Tough decision.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #6222
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Continuing the open world theme, I have been playing Saints Row the Third lately. Picked it up cheap a few weeks ago, and now playing it to see if I want to get the 4th one that came out two or three weeks ago. So far, this game is nuts! Lots of good (not so) clean fun.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #6223
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,363
I'm staying away from GTA 5 until in comes out for the PC....
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #6224
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I just picked up Sleeping Dogs and it's pretty good. I'll get GTA V, but not right now. I prefer to stay a few months behind the hype...
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #6225
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I am console free at the moment, and was thinking about picking up one of the GTA5 bundles. Just not sure whether to go with the 360 or PS3. I'll never use the BluRay of the PS3, and I do think Kinect is pretty cool, but I just hate the 360 hardware.... Tough decision.
Honestly the PS3 is still one of the best BD players out there. You can get a standard media controller for it instead of having to use the game controller. With the 360's it's all about when it will need replacing. They have a high failure rate. I'd look at the games as see which ones you really want to play. Not the cross platform games but the console specific. Generally speaking the 360 is better for sports games. If you're not into online play or paying a monthly fee then you'd be better off with the PS3. Though the PS3 has online play, it's community isn't as structured as it is in the 360. Though you do get more trashtalking teens on the 360.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: