User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #6406
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,928

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #6407
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

PS4 comes out tonight, reviews seem to be saying overall great hardware, UI is greatly improved over PS3, but the launch titles don't make it a gotta have.

Some XBox news:

Quote:
The Microsoft Games with Gold program is officially coming to the Xbox One, a Microsoft official said today.

Microsoft's Larry Hryb, otherwise known as Major nelson, said in a Tweet that the program, which offers two free games per month to Xbox live Gold members, will carry over to the Xbox One. He also said details are coming in 2014, meaning the offers will continue into next year; there's still no word on when the program will end, though.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...ng-to-xbox-one

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #6408
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
It did, but they wouldn't let you log on to PSN until midnight PST! then.....no network. Took a day off work, for the hell of it. Still haven't gotten to play. And pretty much crickets from Sony. Pretty much one giant
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #6409
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
It did, but they wouldn't let you log on to PSN until midnight PST! then.....no network. Took a day off work, for the hell of it. Still haven't gotten to play. And pretty much crickets from Sony. Pretty much one giant
You can manually install the update if you have a spare USB key:

http://us.playstation.com/support/sy...date/index.htm

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #6410
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I'm hoping to wait a few years to before I get a PS4. Honestly, I could have probably played PS3-level games for the rest of my life, so all the hardware dickswinging I see when I try to read about PS4 vs Xbox cracks me up

I'm starting to get kinda bored of GTA online right now too. Now that everybody has money, there's even less motivation for folks to engage in races and missions.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #6411
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'm hoping to wait a few years to before I get a PS4. Honestly, I could have probably played PS3-level games for the rest of my life, so all the hardware dickswinging I see when I try to read about PS4 vs Xbox cracks me up

I'm starting to get kinda bored of GTA online right now too. Now that everybody has money, there's even less motivation for folks to engage in races and missions.
I'm in a similar boat, I'm leaning XB1 but a big thing is if you can turn the resistance off for the shoulder buttons.....or at least easily unplug the motors like I did for my wired controller for the PC.

But back to the system itself the games are great looking but there's no gotta have one yet. I think it'll be 2-3 years before we see some that really work well as they iron out the bugs. Seeing all the issues with Ghosts and Battlefield 4 it shows they have a ways to go. And honestly the differences between current and next gen systems amount to a lot more physics effects. The models are a bit nicer but it's not night and day.

GTA V even with its slight FPS issues shows what could be done with the current gen and it's at that point where you don't "need" better graphics to get sucked into the world, it's simply a nice advantage.

Plus there's the steam box....which I hope works fine with the XBox controller as well.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #6412
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
GTA V even with its slight FPS issues shows what could be done with the current gen and it's at that point where you don't "need" better graphics to get sucked into the world, it's simply a nice advantage.
Yup... Only problem with the graphics in GTAV is that some of the landscapes look funny at distances, like you can tell they had some sort of terrain stamper that they used to make them

The problem that I'd *think* (but have no clue of) exists is that you can keep adding more detail and bells and whistles to games but I imagine that all takes more and more work. I'd already read that studios are making fewer, bigger games than they used to. I'm pretty much okay with that, but sometimes you end up with games like Assassin's Creed III - big, beautiful game that just never got the gameplay right for me. So I played through the whole thing because it looked nice, but they completely screwed the pooch on gameplay. If games keep getting bigger and flashier, I hope that they remember that they should be fun too. Glad I borrowed that one

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #6413
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Yup... Only problem with the graphics in GTAV is that some of the landscapes look funny at distances, like you can tell they had some sort of terrain stamper that they used to make them

The problem that I'd *think* (but have no clue of) exists is that you can keep adding more detail and bells and whistles to games but I imagine that all takes more and more work. I'd already read that studios are making fewer, bigger games than they used to. I'm pretty much okay with that, but sometimes you end up with games like Assassin's Creed III - big, beautiful game that just never got the gameplay right for me. So I played through the whole thing because it looked nice, but they completely screwed the pooch on gameplay. If games keep getting bigger and flashier, I hope that they remember that they should be fun too. Glad I borrowed that one
Yes and no, we do have a huge hurdle coming up with 4k for the models but the physics effects should be similar. The big thing will be writing scripts to do these things with minimal work. I did a lot of 3D modeling and some animation in the late 90's/early 2000's before I got into photo and things that took tons of time then are now all automatic with a tool and take minutes instead of hours or even days.

The flip side is that models are now so detailed that you can spend days on something that used to take minutes or hours though again there are tools to help speed up that process. But that 4k jump is what we need to worry about. Nintendo has been having a rough time with Wii U games due to this and the extra time/manpower needed.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #6414
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
The biggest unresolved console graphical issue so far is anisotropic filtering. It badly needs to be added in this generation's game engines, so that ground textures stop looking like a blurry sea of goop beyond the viewer's immediate vicinity. Last-gen consoles were developed before it became basically free on video cards, but this time they will have no excuses for its absence.

UnderNewOwnership screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 03:42 AM
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #6415
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,441
Which AMD GPU are these consoles running? I have the 7950 (Tahiti chip) in my PC and assume the consoles will use something Pitcairn based at least. Should be spectacular.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #6416
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Which AMD GPU are these consoles running? I have the 7950 (Tahiti chip) in my PC and assume the consoles will use something Pitcairn based at least. Should be spectacular.
It'll be beyond what a PC can do as well even with a similar chip. With PC games they are coding for a wide range of possible set ups, with the XB1 and PS4 they have a set system and can push it further. That's why even on the XBox 360 which is almost a decade old they can produce games that look way better than anything running on a video card of that vintage.

Also over the years developers will learn tricks on how to do things with this specific hardware that initially wasn't possible. That has been going on forever and there were a few key examples with the 16 bit era I'd have to look them up though.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #6417
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
I was about to argue,but then I saw the qualifier "with a similar chip."

Yes, the consoles will look better. Problem is, PCs are always evolving. Even now, 1 day after the PS4 release PCs have better graphics. Just the way it is.

Doesn't mean one is better than the other though, just the pros and cons of each. That said, it is much easier for me to lounge back on the couch as I try to improve my 0.7 k/d ratio in call of duty on a console vs the PC. Again, another pro and con.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #6418
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,441
I agree, the consoles seem to be able to stay relevant longer because of the dedicated hardware/software.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6419
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I was about to argue,but then I saw the qualifier "with a similar chip."

Yes, the consoles will look better. Problem is, PCs are always evolving. Even now, 1 day after the PS4 release PCs have better graphics. Just the way it is.

Doesn't mean one is better than the other though, just the pros and cons of each. That said, it is much easier for me to lounge back on the couch as I try to improve my 0.7 k/d ratio in call of duty on a console vs the PC. Again, another pro and con.
And there are fewer battles that end up as running around in circles trying to stab each other since the sensitivity is so high....especially for the WASD crowd. Strangely my PC BOII K/D is higher than MW3 on X Box, I use a crazy high sensitivity level for the PC but still I'm at a disadvantage for sure VS the WASD twitch monkeys.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #6420
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,981
Previously one could hop on a PC and expect better graphics/performance and a crisper, smoother picture than console. It was the norm, not the exception.

Now you see console numbers that are creeping up on PCs. However, given the modular, customizable nature of PCs, one can expect PCs to remain one step ahead in the technology of "putting the magic on the screen".

However, there is one aspect that is unchanging....the human eye. Or rather, the human brain. Remember, the eye can only see around 32fps. It can only process certain amounts of colors, hue spectrums, and blurs.

Given that, our rapidly increasing tech is not so much about PC vs console, but rather technology vs the human interface.

I think I will always prefer a mouse and keyboard as it is intuitive to me. Consoles lost me when they moved away from the Sega Genesis controller...

...to the huge monstrosities of today, with (to me) blunted and muted response times, often over-shooting targets and swinging wildly around.

So as said, the tech is catching up rapidly and now, more than ever its about personal preference.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: