User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #6421
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,635
Previously one could hop on a PC and expect better graphics/performance and a crisper, smoother picture than console. It was the norm, not the exception.

Now you see console numbers that are creeping up on PCs. However, given the modular, customizable nature of PCs, one can expect PCs to remain one step ahead in the technology of "putting the magic on the screen".

However, there is one aspect that is unchanging....the human eye. Or rather, the human brain. Remember, the eye can only see around 32fps. It can only process certain amounts of colors, hue spectrums, and blurs.

Given that, our rapidly increasing tech is not so much about PC vs console, but rather technology vs the human interface.

I think I will always prefer a mouse and keyboard as it is intuitive to me. Consoles lost me when they moved away from the Sega Genesis controller...

...to the huge monstrosities of today, with (to me) blunted and muted response times, often over-shooting targets and swinging wildly around.

So as said, the tech is catching up rapidly and now, more than ever its about personal preference.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #6422
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
And we have the first official numbers.

First day PS4 sales, Canada + USA: >1 million units.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #6423
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,850
That didn't take long:

Quote:
If you're considering purchasing a PlayStation 4, you might want to wait a little bit.

Hundreds of early PlayStation buyers are reporting issues with their newly purchased game consoles, which went on sale last week. In written screeds and online videos, a sizable number of gamers say they've been sold "bricked" PlayStations that crash after working for a short time or that fail to boot up at all.

"We are aware that some people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems," a Sony representative told The Huffington Post. "We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and represent a very small percentage of total units shipped to consumers to date.

The PS4 has more than 600 one-star reviews on Amazon at the time of writing, many from verified accounts with complaints that their out-of-the-box PlayStations don't work.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4296042.html

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #6424
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
One would think with that much lead time that they wouldn't have skipped the QA grognards in the basement.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #6425
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
One would think with that much lead time that they wouldn't have skipped the QA grognards in the basement.
Not only that they put this ad out earlier this year:

Doh!

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #6426
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
A ~45% increase in general rendering capacity is nowhere near 'slight'. And 'Resolutiongate' (the difference in resolution between the PS4 [native 1080p] and Xbone [720p upscaled to 1080p] versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts) shows that it already impacts titles. And the gap will grow larger once Sony's first-party heavyweights start doing their thing (Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Quantic Dream etc.).
Looks like PS4 should have been 720P

Quote:
SEXPAND
The furor that kicked up two weeks ago over Call of Duty: Ghosts' native resolution on the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One appears to have gotten its sequel. With reviews of the Xbox One version trickling in today, some are saying the Xbox One does not suffer the framerate drops that were reported in the PS4 version.P

Both IGN and Polygon updated their reviews of the game to note Ghosts consistently held at 60 frames per second, where the PS4 suffered noticeable framerate drops in multiplayer, as had been earlier mentioned by these publications and others.P

"The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable," wrote Polygon. "As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout."
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-call-of-d...ps4-1463163114

Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #6427
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Also the Wii U surprised me a bit, I watched a video of AC Black Flag on 360, PS3/4, & Wii U and they really are starting to understand that system. The graphics were almost like the middle ground between the 2 generations. Now if Nintendo can cut the price to 250/200 it might have a chance like the Gamecube. What they need more than anything are console sales so companies will make games for it, Nintendo has some great IP but if it doesn't have BF/COD/Sports games it just wont make it beyond a niche market.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 09:30 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #6428
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

And XB1 has bad disc drives..... this new generation rocks

Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #6429
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,218
After my PS3 issues, this is why I didn't run out and buy a PS4

Sony did fix the one I use now under warranty, but I still have another dead one at home that freezes when you power it up.
At least the broken first gen (bad Blu ray drive) that I have still makes a handy Netflix box.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #6430
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,516
My hardcore gaming buddy at work bought both on their release day. He text me last night asking if I was interested in the ps4, he's decided to go with just the Xbox this generation. The newest playstation we have is the 2 someone gave my boy years ago, not interested in going any further with Sony.
I'm still debating if we'll get the xbox since I built two gaming computers this year. I'll wait till after Christmas to decide.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #6431
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,635
Well my NVIDIA GTX760 vid card arrived, installed and updated video drivers no problem.

Needless to say coming from a GTX 250 this thing fucking smokes. What eye candy.

Problem is that it's reading my 24" Dell LCD as an analog monitor. This is making my Chrome settings default to 1280x900 or somesuch. Everything else is maxed...games, etc.

I tried updating the drivers for the monitor but its outdated and not avail.

Ideas?

To clarify, the problem is with chrome, surfing the web, etc. My GeForce Experience screen says 1280x800, (and can't be changed) but my display in control panel and even in the NVIDIA control panel says 1920x1200 (native) x60Hz

Seems the only thing effected is the web. All games play in 1920x1200.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!

Off the grid screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 09:28 AM Reason: added some shit.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #6432
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Looks like PS4 should have been 720P

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-call-of-d...ps4-1463163114
Digital Foundry used their frame pacing tool and discovered the judder problems on PS4 were caused by Ghosts code running above 60 fps (while output is limited to 60 fps).

Quote:
So just what is going on? Well, a close look at our captures reveals that Call of Duty: Ghosts actually runs at higher frame-rates than 60fps on a fairly frequent basis, despite the video output being limited to 60Hz.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...osts-ps4-patch
Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #6433
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Well my NVIDIA GTX760 vid card arrived, installed and updated video drivers no problem.

Needless to say coming from a GTX 250 this thing fucking smokes. What eye candy.

Problem is that it's reading my 24" Dell LCD as an analog monitor. This is making my Chrome settings default to 1280x900 or somesuch. Everything else is maxed...games, etc.

I tried updating the drivers for the monitor but its outdated and not avail.

Ideas?

To clarify, the problem is with chrome, surfing the web, etc. My GeForce Experience screen says 1280x800, (and can't be changed) but my display in control panel and even in the NVIDIA control panel says 1920x1200 (native) x60Hz

Seems the only thing effected is the web. All games play in 1920x1200.
Edit: I had a whole paragraph typed here for the wrong problem.

I'd sync Chrome with google, uninstall it and then re-install it.

Barring that, try a different input on the monitor?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #6434
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
My hardcore gaming buddy at work bought both on their release day. He text me last night asking if I was interested in the ps4, he's decided to go with just the Xbox this generation. The newest playstation we have is the 2 someone gave my boy years ago, not interested in going any further with Sony.
I'm still debating if we'll get the xbox since I built two gaming computers this year. I'll wait till after Christmas to decide.
What reasons did he give for wanting to go with XB1?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #6435
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Xbox1 manages to sell through over 1 million units.

Which goes to show that all the games journalism idiots who parroted the "Consoles R ded! Mobile iz lyfe!" line should STFU/GTFO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: