User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #6841
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Good fun and a nice surprise, I installed Gianna Sisters just to show it to my kid and it turns out it is a very polished platformer!

Very nice control of the little sprite, cool and pleasant graphics, nice puzzling levels...

Give it a try if you have the bundle and haven't bothered with it yet... I am not a 2D platform fan so that says a lot...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #6842
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,672
So my friend is looking for a gaming PC but doesn't want to build one so I put together the lazy mans version which also happens to be a pretty fucking fast PC for anything else too.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...0qe-Desktop-PC

i5 quad core (a hair faster than my Xeon Workstation from 2010, if you need more CPU you are a big time power user) the only add on is for the 8GB single DIMM for 60 bucks. And the power supply can handle a GTX 750 Ti and being a small card it SHOULD fit, that's the 1 last thing I need to look into is if there is an open slot above it.

But your talking 750 for a computer than can do photo/video editing without much hassle. Has a solid upgrade path (16GB/SSD) for a refresh, and will be close to XB1/PS4 graphics.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 12:47 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #6843
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
So my friend is looking for a gaming PC but doesn't want to build one so I put together the lazy mans version which also happens to be a pretty fucking fast PC for anything else too.

i5 quad core (a hair faster than my Xeon Workstation from 2010, if you need more CPU you are a big time power user) the only add on is for the 8GB single DIMM for 60 bucks. And the power supply can handle a GTX 750 Ti and being a small card it SHOULD fit, that's the 1 last thing I need to look into is if there is an open slot above it.

But your talking 750 for a computer than can do photo/video editing without much hassle. Has a solid upgrade path (16GB/SSD) for a refresh, and will be close to XB1/PS4 graphics.
It really depends on what you're planning to play on it and how big your monitor is. Most games are going to be GFX dependent. A 760's pretty slow when it comes to GFX cards though. The enthusiast value card is the x60 so the 560, 660 & 760. They are typically good value for speed. I think the HP is slower then my old OC'ed 920 gaming/photo editing rig.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #6844
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
It really depends on what you're planning to play on it and how big your monitor is. Most games are going to be GFX dependent. A 760's pretty slow when it comes to GFX cards though. The enthusiast value card is the x60 so the 560, 660 & 760. They are typically good value for speed. I think the HP is slower then my old OC'ed 920 gaming/photo editing rig.
My Xeon is a W3540 for comparison, for 65 more the i5-4670 is about 25-30% faster. For photo work 24 MP is about the max, 12-18 MP images are no issue though.

The 750 Ti definitely isn't a high end card but the thing sips power, it uses 60W and is ~10% slower than the GTX 660 140W (the 760 is faster still but uses 170W), plus it's a short card. It's a 700 series but the first to use the Maxwell architecture. I'm really interested to see what kinda GPU power they get out of a card around the 140W mark with it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #6845
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
My Xeon is a W3540 for comparison, for 65 more the i5-4670 is about 25-30% faster. For photo work 24 MP is about the max, 12-18 MP images are no issue though.

The 750 Ti definitely isn't a high end card but the thing sips power, it uses 60W and is ~10% slower than the GTX 660 140W (the 760 is faster still but uses 170W), plus it's a short card. It's a 700 series but the first to use the Maxwell architecture. I'm really interested to see what kinda GPU power they get out of a card around the 140W mark with it.
Well, the 750 is really a lackluster card from the gamer standpoint The 750 has a decent amount of RAM and is fast but the throughput is really chokes it's performance. If you're the casual player who doesn't play the latest and greatest games nor one who plays with the graphics cranked then it might be okay.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #6846
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

)

Old 03-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #6847
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:

Power usage isn't that relevant. When idling, most cards need about the same.
The Maxwell is interesting, but the question is, if the power usage scales the same as the speed.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #6848
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,564
Quote:
)
My boy bought me the standalone for christmas. I tried playing it one time, and had to change all my computer settings just to get it to start. I've gone back twice more to see if it's getting any better, and as of last week, nope.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #6849
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,993
Posted this in Battle Scooters. I'm making a scooter/motorcycle simulation for the open source flight simulation, FlightGear. I got a couple of vid's up on Youtube, of what I've made so far, and I am 'no-hosting' an online event happening this weekend (15-16) at the virtual FlightGear terrain Isle of Man on the TT course.

)

)

Thread in FG Forum with links to downloads of the bikes and scenery, http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22114

Joining this event will need a working install of FlightGear and Terrasynch enabled so you can download the default scenery files for EGNS Ronaldsway @ Isle of Man

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #6850
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
My boy bought me the standalone for christmas. I tried playing it one time, and had to change all my computer settings just to get it to start. I've gone back twice more to see if it's getting any better, and as of last week, nope.
DayZ like ARMA, Arma 2 and Arma 3 are hardware hogs. Unlike most games that are dependent on the GFX, Bohemia Interactive games aren't optimized very well and want a fast CPU as well as GFX. The engine hasn't changed much from Operation Flashpoint from 2001. Everything is script based and EVERYTHING is loaded at once. When yous tart the game it checks all the addons and missions scripts before it even loads which is crazy.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 AM   #6851
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
DayZ like ARMA, Arma 2 and Arma 3 are hardware hogs. Unlike most games that are dependent on the GFX, Bohemia Interactive games aren't optimized very well and want a fast CPU as well as GFX. The engine hasn't changed much from Operation Flashpoint from 2001. Everything is script based and EVERYTHING is loaded at once. When yous tart the game it checks all the addons and missions scripts before it even loads which is crazy.
I built us a pair of gaming rigs last summer just so we could play dayz/arma 2 together. Neither of us have any issues at all playing it at crazy high settings and still get 70+fps. This is an issue where even just to start, the start button doesn't appear unless I change my icon size settings for some reason.
I expected early release to be glitchy, which is why I wouldn't buy it, but it's starting to look like it may never be finished in to a fully functional game.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #6852
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I built us a pair of gaming rigs last summer just so we could play dayz/arma 2 together. Neither of us have any issues at all playing it at crazy high settings and still get 70+fps. This is an issue where even just to start, the start button doesn't appear unless I change my icon size settings for some reason.
I expected early release to be glitchy, which is why I wouldn't buy it, but it's starting to look like it may never be finished in to a fully functional game.
That's how t is with BIS. They pre-sell the game as an Alpha then get you in with a really buggy game. You suffer through it thinking "It's only an Alpha." "It'll get better later" and it doesn't. The reason Arma does so well is that third-parties, usually gamers make addons which are work around to fix issues. I haven't played DayZ but that runs on the old Arma 2 engine. Seems strange that it's buggy after all those years. I'm guessing it's a scripting issues. DayZ is an addon to Arma so it's checking all those files for errors. All of their games have issues.

You might try adding this to the Target Line in a shortcut of the game: -nosplash -world=empty -noland

If you didn't know, unlike most games where the intro is a pre-rendered movie, in Arma and the like, it's actually build and rendered like it's playing the game. The -nosplash removes any splash screens that may load, The -world=empty removed any people and objects that are added and -island removes all the land. All the lands are called 'islands' as they're really big islands if you get into the editor. Typically it's one map that's carved up into different Areas of Operations. So even though you may only be using a portion of the map, you can wander outside the "game" and fall off the edge of the world.

Oh the other weird thing about BIS is that some bugs may only affect some computers. BIS like to break things that have been fixed for several builds in "patches". Usually takes a year for things to settle down and work somewhat properly.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #6853
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,696
Oh, DayZ, you taunt me. After watching some of Frankie's videos, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Finally got around to removing and reinstalling ArmaII, AO and DayZ through Steam, which cleaned up a few errors I was getting when I tried to launch DayZ. Now I can't seem to get into any MP servers. I think it's a version mismatch since I seem to have gotten a bit further once I installed AO Beta.

Actually, I did manage to find and enter a co-op server, but I was one of 2 players on it and, while seagulls are nice, I really don't want to play a video game as a seagull.

I assume there HAS to be a dummies guide for getting DayZ up and running that isn't a year or two out of date, right?

Would one of you DayZ'ers point me that way?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #6854
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Oh, DayZ, you taunt me. After watching some of Frankie's videos, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Finally got around to removing and reinstalling ArmaII, AO and DayZ through Steam, which cleaned up a few errors I was getting when I tried to launch DayZ. Now I can't seem to get into any MP servers. I think it's a version mismatch since I seem to have gotten a bit further once I installed AO Beta.

Actually, I did manage to find and enter a co-op server, but I was one of 2 players on it and, while seagulls are nice, I really don't want to play a video game as a seagull.

I assume there HAS to be a dummies guide for getting DayZ up and running that isn't a year or two out of date, right?

Would one of you DayZ'ers point me that way?
Yup sounds like a version mismatch. ARMA sucks in that it won't tell you what's missing. It could be OA or the addon version that's not matching or they would be using additional stuff which will also kick you.

I used to have a SP version. It was cool since I could at least tweak it so I wasn't running around with nothing.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #6855
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:

I recently got a lenovo 710p Its around $950, comes with an I7 quad core, 2 750i graphics cards, a gig or memory, 8mb of ram with an extra slot for another 8mb. Itll do photo editing/video editing, play the most recent games. It uses SLI for gaming, so if the game dosent have SLI compatibility itll only run on one graphics card. It has 8mb of ( I forget what its called) boot up storage so it starts within seconds. Battery life is short about an hour of regular use, if you want to do anything major it has to be plugged in. You can swap out one of the graphics cards for another fan or a drive.

I only play WOT on it right now, all settings maxed, its not SLI enabled so it only uses 1 graphics card, but I average 50fps on it. Ive seen video of people playing the latest and greatest games all on maxed or close to maxed settings with no lag.

I know itll run titanfall on close to max with no issuses, Its supposed to run witcher 3 on max settings w/o problems, so far theres no game it cant handle. I just hope itll be able to run cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out...who knows when thatll be...Im thinking that game wont be able to be ran on anything currently out.

focallength screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 09:31 PM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: