Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #751
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
You can dump music into the folder and get it to play
Is that possible on the PS3? I can see how it would be easy to do if one was running FO3 on a computer.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #752
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
Is that possible on the PS3? I can see how it would be easy to do if one was running FO3 on a computer.
Oh so sorry. No I dont think it is possible on the PS3.

but rest easy...the next Final Fantasy is coming for consoles but not PC.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #753
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I suck BAD at the Thief series. I'm just a wee bit stab happy.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #754
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount
I suck BAD at the Thief series. I'm just a wee bit stab happy.
I loved thief...until they started throwing zombies and crap into the mix. I love the sneaking games.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #755
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I like em fine.... I just suck at em.

I sneak around about as well as you'd expect an emu painted hi-vis yellow with whoopie cushions taped to its feet to.

Maybe I just get paranoid. Shit, he's Got to see me. Quick kill him before he tells everybody else!

If it was a real town, and someone was bumbling around the way I play the sneaking games, nobody would ever come outside later than noon on a cloudless day. Because some maniac that doesn't understand shadows was killing 40 people a night, and stealing candlesticks.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #756
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
I guess part of what I'm trying to get at is that there's no sense of urgency or desperation anymore. It's just oh well my level is too low and I got jumped by a million baddies, button mash like crazy and I get out of it. Now I'm high level and I encounter scary monster but wipe him off the map with my supermega gun. Feh.

What happened to the desperate situations where you're heart is pounding?

I want something like fall out, but where you're not so special. Where encountering another person or creature outside of civilized areas is more rare. Where choosing to kill or sneak by said person is a real decision to be made with stronger consequences. A bullet to the head will kill you, only one or two the body will do the same and the only way to heal is to dress the wound and take medicine to fight the pain, or stop the bleeding and find your way to a doctor and spend some time in recovery if necessary. You have to eat, you have to sleep and maybe a twig snapping or a hungry bear will wake you up in the middle of the night. I want more instinct, but make it more subtle, maybe sneaking through the forest in the middle of the night, the crickets will stop chirping, the owl stops hooting and trees stop swaying when something sinister is near by or ready to pounce. No more big fat red arrows on the screen to tell you where the baddies are, don't have to axe it entirely, just use some very subtle visual ques.

Help me elaborate on this guys.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #757
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I guess part of what I'm trying to get at is that there's no sense of urgency or desperation anymore. It's just oh well my level is too low and I got jumped by a million baddies, button mash like crazy and I get out of it. Now I'm high level and I encounter scary monster but wipe him off the map with my supermega gun. Feh.

What happened to the desperate situations where you're heart is pounding?

I want something like fall out, but where you're not so special. Where encountering another person or creature outside of civilized areas is more rare. Where choosing to kill or sneak by said person is a real decision to be made with stronger consequences. A bullet to the head will kill you, only one or two the body will do the same and the only way to heal is to dress the wound and take medicine to fight the pain, or stop the bleeding and find your way to a doctor and spend some time in recovery if necessary. You have to eat, you have to sleep and maybe a twig snapping or a hungry bear will wake you up in the middle of the night. I want more instinct, but make it more subtle, maybe sneaking through the forest in the middle of the night, the crickets will stop chirping, the owl stops hooting and trees stop swaying when something sinister is near by or ready to pounce. No more big fat red arrows on the screen to tell you where the baddies are, don't have to axe it entirely, just use some very subtle visual ques.

Help me elaborate on this guys.

You want more real life in the games you play so it'll be more immersive and a better experience than your real life now.

The problem with that is that game design is a big compromise between playability and reality. Let's look at Fallout 3, just for an example.

The Pipboy 3000 is actually a logical mechanism to introduce a heads-up display for a character. But it's not realistic to be able to carry over 1000 rounds of 10mm, along with 10 missles, 200 Energy Cells, 400 MFPs, along with the weapons to use them.

If you want reality, carry 1 pistol, 1 rifle and 3 grenades. Then go underground and fight the feral ghouls. Look at the loadouts of your humanoid opponents; except for the behemoth, they all carry one range and/or one melee weapon with enough ammo to use in a day. Power armor opponents carry much more firepower.

Injury physics aren't much better; blow off a leg in real life and you'll bleed out long before you get the wound sealed off. Arkansas (or anybody else) will take you out with one head shot. Yet with the Pipboy and 30 WGs of radioactive dogmeat you're back in action like nothing happened except for the blood splattered all over your face. In the game universe, your hit points, action points and abilities to carry/switch weapons on the fly are all compensators for "experience". Just like you wouldn't want to jump into the arena with a Delta Force unless you had comparable training and abilities a real life schmo would have stayed in the vault or never left Megaton.

Face it, playing games is a fantasy. Even simulators are a fantasy molded realistically. I think realistic, deadly opponents are a pipe dream if you want to play a realistic character. If you only had 1 death and you'd just spent $50 bucks would you want your game to end after 2 hours, outside the Super Duper Mart, chewed to pieces by a giant ant?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #758
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
You want more real life in the games you play so it'll be more immersive and a better experience than your real life now.

The problem with that is that game design is a big compromise between playability and reality. Let's look at Fallout 3, just for an example.

The Pipboy 3000 is actually a logical mechanism to introduce a heads-up display for a character. But it's not realistic to be able to carry over 1000 rounds of 10mm, along with 10 missles, 200 Energy Cells, 400 MFPs, along with the weapons to use them.

If you want reality, carry 1 pistol, 1 rifle and 3 grenades. Then go underground and fight the feral ghouls. Look at the loadouts of your humanoid opponents; except for the behemoth, they all carry one range and/or one melee weapon with enough ammo to use in a day. Power armor opponents carry much more firepower.

Injury physics aren't much better; blow off a leg in real life and you'll bleed out long before you get the wound sealed off. Arkansas (or anybody else) will take you out with one head shot. Yet with the Pipboy and 30 WGs of radioactive dogmeat you're back in action like nothing happened except for the blood splattered all over your face. In the game universe, your hit points, action points and abilities to carry/switch weapons on the fly are all compensators for "experience". Just like you wouldn't want to jump into the arena with a Delta Force unless you had comparable training and abilities a real life schmo would have stayed in the vault or never left Megaton.

Face it, playing games is a fantasy. Even simulators are a fantasy molded realistically. I think realistic, deadly opponents are a pipe dream if you want to play a realistic character. If you only had 1 death and you'd just spent $50 bucks would you want your game to end after 2 hours, outside the Super Duper Mart, chewed to pieces by a giant ant?
Well you be able to reload from your last save point.

Video games are fantasy, but they're also entertainment. Maybe I like my life but maybe I'd like to see what it'd be like to try and survive in a wasteland in as realistic way as possible?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #759
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Well you be able to reload from your last save point.

Video games are fantasy, but they're also entertainment. Maybe I like my life but maybe I'd like to see what it'd be like to try and survive in a wasteland in as realistic way as possible?

Well, then like I said:

pick one pistol, one long boomstick, one melee weapon. A reasonable amount of ammo for each. Then go forth and only use what you can scrounge off of bodies or build yourself (rock-it launcher?) and set the game on hard.

Oh, and no stimpaks.

I understand what you're saying about the lack of tension; once you've figured out that pipboy-aid-food works in the middle of a battle (if you have food or meds) it's like walking around with the button on your chest and Poison Ivy at your side.

If you're on PC then you really need to look into the mod community. If it's anything like I saw for Oblivion then somebody else has already added realism for you, whether it's naked bodies or weight values for ammo, new monsters or more realistic equipment, maybe even new areas to explore.

I, for one, think Dukhov's Place could have been a lot *shinier*.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #760
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Well, then like I said:

pick one pistol, one long boomstick, one melee weapon. A reasonable amount of ammo for each. Then go forth and only use what you can scrounge off of bodies or build yourself (rock-it launcher?) and set the game on hard.

Oh, and no stimpaks.

I understand what you're saying about the lack of tension; once you've figured out that pipboy-aid-food works in the middle of a battle (if you have food or meds) it's like walking around with the button on your chest and Poison Ivy at your side.

If you're on PC then you really need to look into the mod community. If it's anything like I saw for Oblivion then somebody else has already added realism for you, whether it's naked bodies or weight values for ammo, new monsters or more realistic equipment, maybe even new areas to explore.

I might do that.

That's what I liked about STALKER. It was probably less realistic than Fallout, but 90% of the weapons in the game were military surplus small arms, AKs and Russian service pistols. There were some special weapons like a gauss rifle, etc, but ammo was very rare and the gun was very heavy. Ammo accounted for weight and by yourself you could only carry usually on pistol, one rifle, maybe a sawed off shotgun and accompanying ammo. A lot more if you found some power armor. Condtion of you items would degrade, the worse your weapons the more they jam, the worse your rad suit the more you had to watch your rad level and counteract with either rad meds (rare) or booze, which you then had to deal with swing drunk all the time in bad areas. You had to eat or you couldn't run. No matter what armor or weapons you had you could still be gunned down by some bandits or get torn apart by bloodsuckers or stumble into an anomaly.

The more fun part was the huge availability of mods so you had to sleep, there were vehicles, mor blowouts", etc.

I miss that game.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #761
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
The more fun part was the huge availability of mods so you had to sleep, there were vehicles, mor blowouts", etc.

I miss that game.
Now you found a point I think is annoying about Fallout: No working vehicles.
There are robots running around, houses with garages still standing, but there are no moving vehicles, maybe except for the vertibirds you can't even use.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #762
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
The chandelier is nice

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #763
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
That's simple. Go down to a local sporting goods store and buy a nice bolt action rifle (I like the Savage .30-06 myself) and head out in the woods and feed yourself. You'll even have the chance of getting eaten by a mountain lion if you're not careful.

Pretty darn realistic and not much more than what was spent on your console and monitor.

P.S. I know what you're saying and this was meant as a joke to a certain degree. Life is out there for us. Games are an escape.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #764
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
I might do that.

That's what I liked about STALKER. It was probably less realistic than Fallout, but 90% of the weapons in the game were military surplus small arms, AKs and Russian service pistols. There were some special weapons like a gauss rifle, etc, but ammo was very rare and the gun was very heavy. Ammo accounted for weight and by yourself you could only carry usually on pistol, one rifle, maybe a sawed off shotgun and accompanying ammo. A lot more if you found some power armor. Condtion of you items would degrade, the worse your weapons the more they jam, the worse your rad suit the more you had to watch your rad level and counteract with either rad meds (rare) or booze, which you then had to deal with swing drunk all the time in bad areas. You had to eat or you couldn't run. No matter what armor or weapons you had you could still be gunned down by some bandits or get torn apart by bloodsuckers or stumble into an anomaly.

I miss that game.
I miss Avalon Hill's Squad Leader.

Only a real grognard is going to understand why.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #765
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Whelp

I finally got the new Vista PC all copacetic.

Now to install Fallout3 and see if I can still play.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: