User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
HOGCDR OP
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Oddometer: 70
Ultralite Cot

Has anyone purchased/used the UltraLite cot??
HOGCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,459
I bought one of an inmate here last week. Paid $160 delivered.

Worked great for my Sunday afternoon nap.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
HOGCDR OP
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

I put 20-30K a year traveling and camping on the bike, and looking to solve a bad back and rough ground. This cot was recommended and I was looking for input as to the cot or other like gear.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
I have one and if on the road would not use anything else, a well spent $200. Throw my Therm-a-Rest on top, jump in the bag and sleep like a baby. Unless, it's an event with a bunch of snoring old fucks.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
had my ultralite cot for 3 years now.... great nights sleep and packs up small and light...... i had one of the carbon fibre poles break and it was promptly replaced under warranty.

good people good product.

KOokaloo!

Frank
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
fire carl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
i purchased one last summer and am very pleased with how well i sleep on it, now the early models had legs that were to soft and would fold over during the night causing you to end up on the ground, but the maker has since changed the composition of the legs and have solved the problem, im a bigger guy 280 lbs so for me sleeping on the ground was hard on my hips and back but like anouther poster said if you throw a thermarest on its pretty darn comfy. $200 well spent for me, by the way the old legs were gray in color and new harder legs are dark gray/black so if you buy a used cot be aware, you can call the company in texas and for 20.00 buy 4 of the new legs which has solved the problem for me
fire carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
HOGCDR OP
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Purchased a luxurylite cot, same maker as Cabelas and Aerostich.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
I had a similar one with a different name. Worked OK. Still required a piece of foam or a couple blankets to keep the cold from coming up through the bottom. When it eventually broke I went with a $15 Coleman air bed which IMHO is much more comfortable. Still requires some insulation to keep the cold from coming up through it.

Q
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
go for it

i bought my ultralite cot a couple of months ago for $220 -> it was a hard decision because that's a lot of money, considering there are a ton of other cots out there for a fraction of the cost.

i ended up choosing it for the size and weight - not necessarily for comfort. i have to say that i've been pleasantly surprised at how well i sleep on it, however.

i've been on two camping trips and one vacation where i was duped out of a bed since i purchased it - and after some trial and error, i've slept pretty great.

it's definitely true that you can become quite cold if you don't have a thermarest and proper sleeping bag (but that should be a plus for warm weather camping).

all in all - the cot packs amazingly small (if you're patient enough to pack it well), it's super light-weight and it fits even a tall guy like myself (i'm pushing 6'5"). i do hang off a bit but i'm used to it - most beds aren't long enough for me. if you're looking for something that legitimately is light and small (which is perfect for motorcycle camping) then this is your cot - if you're willing to lay down a pretty considerable chunk of cheese...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
I'm not sure if this is the Cot you are referring to. I did a review for a magazine on this unit. I've been using it two years and it's great. No more bad back or sleeping on rocks

Product Review

Tri-Lite Folding Camp Cot from “Adventure Designs” www.advdesigns.net

Basically, I’m getting old……There! I said it……..And the ground at campsites seems to be getting bumpier. I was cruising the Adventure Designs Motorcycle Gear web site (www.advdesigns.net) and stumbled upon a neat looking solution to my problem. A “Tri-Lite” folding cot. I ordered one for the very low price of $59 without much expectation of great quality. But at $59, I figured if it last one season, it was a good investment. I’ve been saying the same thing about the $5 folding camp chair I bought at Wal-Mart and the $99 tent I bought from Cabelas ten years ago! Both of these items have been on countless camping and fishing trips, cross country three times and to Alaska and back without issues!

The box arrived within five days from Castro Valley, CA. Upon opening the shipping box, I was surprised to see how small the folded cot was.

About the size of my rolled up self inflating camping pad. It came with a nice carry bag with a padded shoulder strap. That’s my cell phone for comparison.

I removed the cot from the bag and found the assembly instructions nicely printed on a cloth tag, sewn to the cot itself. Nice touch!
The construction seems first rate. The materials used seem very rugged and should give quite a few camping trips worth of service.

Assembly is very easy. Unfold, lay flat, insert four steel leg units, flip back over, done!

As you can see in the picture, the hinges are robust aluminum castings with rivets holding everything together. You can also see the very heavy duty fabric and the double stitching and edge banding. Very nice attention to detail.

The legs are heavy duty, spring steel units that are about ¼ in diameter. The unit measures 25" x 74" x 8" when unfolded and weighs 7 pounds.

There is a small bag attached to the side of the cot for eye glasses, wallet, etc.

A set of straps are permanently attached to the unit to hold a sleeping pad in place.

All in all, I’m very impressed with this product. Tie it down to the luggage rack on the back of your bike and sleep in bed like comfort! I can’t wait to try it out this spring.
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
I just went to the ADV site and the cot is no longer listed.

I did find it at Campmor

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...0&CS_010=42506

Northern Fire Fighter

http://www.nationalfirefighter.com/p...m_campaign=OTB

And at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Lit.../dp/B00099YKXK
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Very sturdy looking Cot! I'll have to look into this.
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Assault
Very sturdy looking Cot! I'll have to look into this.
I've been using my TriLite about 4 years. I added an Exped DLX down air mattress 2 years ago. No need to worry about a good night's sleep any longer. The combination of the 2 is extremely comfortable. Both are very well made and have provided many comfortable night's sleep.

Exped Link: http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...E?openframeset
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Ultralite cot for under $30

If you have basic tools you can make one yourself for under $30

The instructions are here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultr...-for-under-30/
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,459
For a second, I thought you had used duck tape instead of a tarp. THAT would have been cool.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote