ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
First time to Canada! CA through OR, ID...to Canada and back...

Pacific Northwesters - I was hoping you can help me out with a once in a lifetime ride I'm planning.

I'll be traveling from Southern California through Oregon and Idaho as I ride out to the Annual BMW MOW Rally in Billings MT. From there, up through Canada and back down through Washington and Oregon.

I'm planning to camp and stay at hotels. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my route through your stomping grounds. Thanks in advance!

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/Z3CaqS

MilSpecXC screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 10:52 AM
MilSpecXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Expeditionist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
We need some more info!
  • What are you riding? (Street? Dirt? Both?)
  • What are your interests? (Nature, Cities, Food, Twisties, Trails?)
  • Are you set on the route you planned, or willing to deviate and if so how far?
  • What time do you plan to leave? Most roads in Yellowstone are closed right now due to snow, and I assume you'll hit a bit of snow in some of the other passes too.

You miss Crater lake in Oregon, and a lot of the trails. I personally don't know how I'd feel riding the coast for nearly 3 states.

Shoshone Falls in Idaho looks really neat. Lewis and Clark Caverns in MT. You miss Glacier National Park and Kalispell in MT as well. You also miss the scenic byways in WA up near the Canadian border.
Expeditionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Zubb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
You have some GREAT segments there. But I recommend you instead turn due north at Boise and ride to Lewiston ID on 95. It's gorgeous. So that you can catch one of my all time favorites.

Hywy 12 over Lolo pass to Missoula. Stop midway and overnight at the LoLo hot springs. Watch for deer and moose and bald eagles on the road. I've come close to hitting all three. Actually, I did hit a deer there. I got the deer and she got the bike. It was a lousy trade.

This will be a stretch of road you will never forget.

The north Cascades Hywy 20 that runs across Washington just south of the border is epic as well. Banff to Kelowna is amazing also.

Your biggest problem as I see it is your statement "once in a lifetime". No one should ever say those words!!

It appears to me you might be a Marriott Platinum or Gold member. I just turned lifetime Gold myself. I love burning those points for free rooms on motorcycle trips.

On the flip side . . . . . you're going to have an epic time no matter how you fine tune the route. I am envious even though I am doing a very similar route for 2 weeks in May.

Depending on when you go through Canada, snow could be a problem, even though it's been a fairly low snow winter. At this time I am still planning on including Canada mid May. I will likely route through Seattle / Vancouver/ Whistler / Kamloops / Revelstoke / Banff / etc.

I noticed on the right side bar, Schat's Bakery, Yellowstone, Fairmont hot springs, Ave. of the Giants, . . . ALL good stuff!

Do yourself (and us) a favor and take a ton of pics, and share a ride report when you're done. I for one hope to hear about it.

Cheers and good luck!

'01 Ducati ST2
Zubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Zubb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expeditionist View Post
We need some more info!
  • Are you set on the route you planned, or willing to deviate and if so how far?
  • What time do you plan to leave? Most roads in Yellowstone are closed right now due to snow, and I assume you'll hit a bit of snow in some of the other passes too.
If you fill out your profile on this site, others will have a much better idea of what your interests are and what you ride.

'01 Ducati ST2
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expeditionist View Post
We need some more info!

You miss Crater lake in Oregon, and a lot of the trails. I personally don't know how I'd feel riding the coast for nearly 3 states.

Shoshone Falls in Idaho looks really neat. Lewis and Clark Caverns in MT. You miss Glacier National Park and Kalispell in MT as well. You also miss the scenic byways in WA up near the Canadian border.

I appreciate the quick feedback.

As of now, I'm riding with 2 others and we all have GS Adventures. Another buddy on a Multi-Strada may join us and he can't ride any dirt. If there are any fire-road type of trails that are a must, I may be able to convince him otherwise.

Our interest are the scenic routes, nature and twisties.

I'm willing to deviate, but set on the following:

First day route to Sacramento. 7/17
Camping at Yellowstone on 7/23 (Day 6)
BMW Annual Rally on 7/24 (Day 7)
Trek up to Canada

I agree regarding your comment on the coast. I'm willing to deviate there.

I have us riding by Glacier National Park up to Bnaff? I'll look through your other suggestions. Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
BeemerBOI
Dirt n00b

Oddometer: 57
A couple of suggestions, although it appears that you have a two week window and are trying to maximize your miles for the time, sticking to pavement.

You might consider Revelstoke/Salmon Arm/Kamploops/Cache Creek and take Hwy 99 southwest through Pemberton/Whistler. Since you are jumping from Tsawwassen to Victoria to Port Angeles, at this point I would instead suggest taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay over to Nanaimo and then down to Victoria.
Avoiding going through Vancouver & Surrey is a good thing. There is a nice loop on the southern part of Vancouver Island, but for your time frame I'm not sure you could get to your next planned overnight.

I do agree with everyone so far on avoiding the entire coast. A little bit is great, but I always get frustrated by the traffic, and you will be through there in high season. There are places you may as well be on a bicycle.

If you cut south after Revelstoke, you will have a lot of options going inland, and I agree with Zubb. It's not once in a lifetime. It's just the next trip.
Let us know how it goes.

Alvord or Bust
BeemerBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I agree with BeemerBOI, 99 between cache creek and whistler is a great bit of road, although you can get stuck with lots of RV traffic.

To mimic what others have said, there is ton of great stuff you are missing, so plan another trip. E OR and WA are really motorcycle playgrounds, there are more great roads than you can ride on one ride, Yellowstone is a nice stop, and you route puts you through the Teton's, IMHO, if the trade off is Yellowstone, or Glacier, do a day in glacier instead. That would also give you ID95-ID13-ID12, which is a good stretch of road.

If you stick on your route, I had a great time camping just outside Victor, ID, and going to the brewpub for pizza and beers there. Then get up early, and head into Jackson and see the Tetons early before the busloads of tourists get there. Then the ride into yellowstone is a good short day.

I also am not sure how long are you staying in Banff, the icefields parkway towards jasper is one the most beautiful stretches of scenery you will come across. Ride as far in as time allows, then turn around, but make sure you at least get yourself in 50 miles or so, and see what it has to offer. If you have a full day to use, you can easy do a day ride to the icefields visitor center and back.

One other import piece of information to note, you should check and see if Denio Juction, NV has fuel again or not, last I knew they didn't, that stretch can bite you, if you don't preplan and know where fuel is, or carry spare. Looking at your route, you might have to detour into fields for fuel, and even then I would ask someone down there, or call the store to make sure they have fuel.

--John
Dewey316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,409
Hmmmmm....Somes?

I see you start in Somes, I worked in Ventura for a couple of years, lived many years Humboldt/Mendocino and now NE Oregon..look your route looks damn good; if not overly ambitious...but a few thoughts...

#1 Don't consider this a "once in a lifetime" trip...you can't see it all in one trip, nor can you truly appreciate all that you will see on this trip...

#2 Be willing to deviate from your route; follow your instincts...and the group dynamics will change! Don't lock in. Exploit adventures.

#3 In late July, early August you will hit a butt load of traffic on the route you have mapped out....either be OK with following Battlestars and staring at their ass or take a side road. You know, "the road less traveled".

#4 Just my appetite but you are greatly missing an enormous amount of beauty and solitude by not including as much dirt road as your skills and time will allow. You are on GSAs; they come alive off-road and really produce the big shit eatin' grins at slower speeds off-road...the Multi can do fire roads just fine; the rider will be the LCD. Slow down; even shorten the route and enjoy what you are riding through.

Anyway, ride safely and do watch out for critters on the road; up here especially and in NorCal along the Golden Chain [Hwy 49] and north up the Sierras and Lassen/Shasta/Alturas areas. We have many animals on the roads up here, especially at night. In fact your route in general will have a lot of wildlife requiring impact avoidance.

Enjoy the ride.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Zubb
Gnarly Adventurer

Furkot

Hey Milspec, thanks for introducing me to Furkot. I've been disinterested in learning a new program until looking at your trip. Furkot is VERY cool! And so far, very intuitive!

'01 Ducati ST2
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubb View Post
But I recommend you instead turn due north at Boise and ride to Lewiston ID on 95.

Hywy 12 over Lolo pass to Missoula. Stop midway and overnight at the LoLo hot springs. Watch for deer and moose and bald eagles on the road. I've come close to hitting all three. Actually, I did hit a deer there. I got the deer and she got the bike. It was a lousy trade.

This will be a stretch of road you will never forget.

The north Cascades Hywy 20 that runs across Washington just south of the border is epic as well. Banff to Kelowna is amazing also.

Your biggest problem as I see it is your statement "once in a lifetime". No one should ever say those words!!

It appears to me you might be a Marriott Platinum or Gold member. I just turned lifetime Gold myself. I love burning those points for free rooms on motorcycle trips.

On the flip side . . . . . you're going to have an epic time no matter how you fine tune the route. I am envious even though I am doing a very similar route for 2 weeks in May.

Depending on when you go through Canada, snow could be a problem, even though it's been a fairly low snow winter. At this time I am still planning on including Canada mid May. I will likely route through Seattle / Vancouver/ Whistler / Kamloops / Revelstoke / Banff / etc.

I noticed on the right side bar, Schat's Bakery, Yellowstone, Fairmont hot springs, Ave. of the Giants, . . . ALL good stuff!

Do yourself (and us) a favor and take a ton of pics, and share a ride report when you're done. I for one hope to hear about it.

Cheers and good luck!
Sounds like 95 North through Lolo Pass is amazing. Unfortunately, we're meeting up another couple at Yellowstone for a night of camping so we can head over to Billings MT. This route wouldn't accommodate for that. Glad we got the Banff to Kelowna.

I'm a Marriott Platinum, so yes, I do enjoy staying at a Marriott when possible. Especially when I can get a government rate!

We plan to document this trip from to end. We'll do our best to provide regular updates. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you fill out your profile on this site, others will have a much better idea of what your interests are and what you ride.
Done!

Quote:
Hey Milspec, thanks for introducing me to Furkot. I've been disinterested in learning a new program until looking at your trip. Furkot is VERY cool! And so far, very intuitive!
Glad you like it. It has been a breeze to plan the trip with. The other cool feature that I recently discovered is the site has suggestions on motorcycle routes. If you like the suggestion, you just click on the route and it automatically makes the change for you. Go to the FIND tab, click on the Scenic Byways and Backroads icon on top, then click on the motorcycle.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBOI View Post
A couple of suggestions, although it appears that you have a two week window and are trying to maximize your miles for the time, sticking to pavement.

You might consider Revelstoke/Salmon Arm/Kamploops/Cache Creek and take Hwy 99 southwest through Pemberton/Whistler. Since you are jumping from Tsawwassen to Victoria to Port Angeles, at this point I would instead suggest taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay over to Nanaimo and then down to Victoria.
Avoiding going through Vancouver & Surrey is a good thing. There is a nice loop on the southern part of Vancouver Island, but for your time frame I'm not sure you could get to your next planned overnight.

I do agree with everyone so far on avoiding the entire coast. A little bit is great, but I always get frustrated by the traffic, and you will be through there in high season. There are places you may as well be on a bicycle.

If you cut south after Revelstoke, you will have a lot of options going inland, and I agree with Zubb. It's not once in a lifetime. It's just the next trip.
Let us know how it goes.
I considered the route you suggested through to Whistler. The only concern was the amount of time it would add to the overall trip. I can duplicate the route I have now and change one of them to reflect your recommendation. Instead of spending the night in Vancouver, I'll add the stop in Whistler and then across Horseshoe Bay.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
mexapino
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am one of the other GSA 's going on this trip and everyones input is making it very hard to wait till july!
mexapino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
When you get to Boise take hey 55 to Banks. The turn on the Banks/Lowman Rd. That will take you through the Sawtooth Mts. and to Sun Valley. The scenery is terrific. You can drop down from Sun Valley to Arco and check out the Craters of the Moon. Then work over to the Tetons and Jackson Hole.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
MilSpecXC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey316 View Post
I agree with BeemerBOI, 99 between cache creek and whistler is a great bit of road, although you can get stuck with lots of RV traffic.

To mimic what others have said, there is ton of great stuff you are missing, so plan another trip. E OR and WA are really motorcycle playgrounds, there are more great roads than you can ride on one ride, Yellowstone is a nice stop, and you route puts you through the Teton's, IMHO, if the trade off is Yellowstone, or Glacier, do a day in glacier instead. That would also give you ID95-ID13-ID12, which is a good stretch of road.

If you stick on your route, I had a great time camping just outside Victor, ID, and going to the brewpub for pizza and beers there. Then get up early, and head into Jackson and see the Tetons early before the busloads of tourists get there. Then the ride into yellowstone is a good short day.

I also am not sure how long are you staying in Banff, the icefields parkway towards jasper is one the most beautiful stretches of scenery you will come across. Ride as far in as time allows, then turn around, but make sure you at least get yourself in 50 miles or so, and see what it has to offer. If you have a full day to use, you can easy do a day ride to the icefields visitor center and back.

One other import piece of information to note, you should check and see if Denio Juction, NV has fuel again or not, last I knew they didn't, that stretch can bite you, if you don't preplan and know where fuel is, or carry spare. Looking at your route, you might have to detour into fields for fuel, and even then I would ask someone down there, or call the store to make sure they have fuel.

--John
Since we're meeting a couple in Yellowstone, we won't be able to make Glacier. We need to figure out the timing of our day in ID as to ensure we get to the sites before the crowds.

I'm seriously considering Jasper, but it does look like it will add about 2 days to the trip going through Whistler.

Appreciate the advice on the fuel. We have 7.9 gallon tanks so I'm hoping we don't have any issue with gas, but I will call to make sure. I need to see what the new Multi-Strada's are rated for on gas...

Thanks!