ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
braddo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Greenwater to Ellensburg?

I'd like to ride from Greenwater to Ellensburg. I am not sure if this is possible and what the recommended route would be. I am thinking of taking FS-70 to Little Naches > 410 > Malory Rd > N Wenas Rd > Manastash Ridge Rd.

I'm a noob to the Dual Sport world and so far I have been having nothing but trouble finding roads to ride. I've explored the Duvall, Carnation Snoqualmie area and outside North Fork road have run into nothing but locked gates.

I've driven FS-70 before but that was 15 years ago. Any help finding a Greenwater to Ellensburg or even Greenwater to Naches route would be greatly appreciated.
braddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 452
It's pretty much doable by the route you describe. Greenwater to Little Naches is a piece of cake. Malory I'm not familiar with - or maybe I am and I just don't know it by name - but there are a couple of other roads right in there that will get you up and over for sure.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 486
Enjoy your first non-gated route. You've got the basic idea down this time. Finding dirt roads that go through (and trails for that matter) is all trial and error. Eventually, you figure out how to find the good ones. I still get stopped by gates on a regular basis.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
braddo OP
n00b

Thanks guys, I'll head that way and hope for the best. By the sound of it things are more open in that area than they are around here.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
Northwest Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I have GPS tracks if you want. PM me...
I can get you from Greenwater to Tacoma pass and out to the Stampede pass exit of I-90 or Over Naches Pass then the WABDR route to Ellensburg.

Northwest Cajun screwed with this post 06-24-2015 at 08:21 AM
Northwest Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Thumbs down

They closed a lot of gates in 2003. Before that I used to regularly ride my dirtbike behind Duvall to Monroe or Sultan .

Have fun, been too long since I've ridden over greenwater. Whatchya riding btw?
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
braddo OP
n00b

I ride a DR650.

I've been wanting a dual sport and my wife always brings up the idea of doing an one of those adventure ride vacations. For years i put off buying a new bike and we never did get around to doing an adventure ride vacation.

This year just before Christmas my dad called me up and said hey lets do that WABDR ride this summer. I told myself no more excuses, went out and got a DR650 for me, a CRF230L for my wife and my dad got himself a KLX250.

So far I am loving it, wish i would have gotten myself a dual sport bike sooner. Initially i didn't want the DR650 because the design was so old and I think it looks dorky but it was really the only bike that fit my criteria of cheap, reliable, would be comfortable at 80 on the freeway and okay on the trails. Its way more fun to ride on the street than i expected and does well enough off road. I haven't done any overnight trips yet but hopefully those will be coming soon.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,448
wow is that route still open? I came in from Tanuem from the east access 30 yrs ago , met some guys mid point coming form the west, all were running low on fuel so we turned around, at that time we couldn't even find it on a map. it would be great if still open, please post if you do it. I've never done the entire route

from fading memory that DR will be a big one on that route, certainly doable but not a cake walk. dial that suspension in on that DR any bike it makes a world of diff'
have fun and post pics
Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 346
many options - look at these tracks, you can combine them to get an idea what is possible. There are at least 4 different routes from Cliffdale over the ridges to Ellensburg, each with different difficulty:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/777807228

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/547912570
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
braddo OP
n00b

Wow, cool. Thanks for sharing those GPS tracks.

One of the reasons we are doing the ride this weekend is to gauge how many miles we want to tackle in a day on our upcoming WABDR trip. It’s interesting to see your mileage and speed.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
tomasv
Check the Czech!

NP, keep in mind these were the "easy" once! There is some nasty stuff our there, just look at the rescue thread from Mt Quartz

And yes, that is technically going from Greenwater to Ellensburg. So the speeds on other sections will be much and I mean, much lower
Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
braddo OP
n00b

Yeah, I found the tough stuff. During the ride today we came across a sign for the Naches Trail. I had heard of it and was pretty sure it paralleled the route we wanted to take so my dad and I decided to give it a try looking for a bit more of a challenge. Huge mistake. It was a STEEP decent with huge ruts, roots and rocks. Way above my skill level. I don't know how i made it down riding the DR without crashing or killing myself. My dad wasn't so lucky, he took a spill and sprained his ankle. When we finally got back on the gravel road we realized we went the wrong way on the Naches Trail and found ourselves backtracked on FS-70.

We eventually made it through to Whistlin' Jacks but my dads ankle was hurting him so we skipped the 410 to Ellensburg section and headed for home.

Looking now I see we rode the Lower Naches Trail marked as most difficult. http://www.nwjeepn.com/Maps/Lwrnaches.pdf

I don't think i will be attempting that again.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #13
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 452
Yeah, I've been across that area many times, yesterday also in fact. Often I've stopped and looked at the Naches Trail and thought, hmmmmmm. Quickly followed by eh, no.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
81forest
ADDRider

Oddometer: 1,192
I would look forward to hearing about this ride when you do it, post a report!

I was in Little Naches on Saturday and decided to ride up to Manastash Ridge. Not sure if the trail I took would be on your route, but I could have continued on to either Cle elum or Ellensburg eventually. Would have been quite a workout on a DR650.

One thing I learned: I will not try to ride out mid-day in 100 degree heat again, I don't know how people do it. I was pretty sick and dangerously exhausted by the time I got back to the campground.

Good luck!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post

One thing I learned: I will not try to ride out mid-day in 100 degree heat again, I don't know how people do it. I was pretty sick and dangerously exhausted by the time I got back to the campground.
Plenty of water before, on the bike and keep the speed up to cool you down, unless it gives you burn blister

And of course plenty of beer after the ride