ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #136
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,036
Well, look who fell out of the rafters. I thought you were another "gone" student.

Idarider, Sorebutt and I did a fairly long ride around the Palouse a couple weeks ago. Kind of cold and nasty now, but it will clear up one of these days.

I'm working up a longer ride to south Idaho via Magruder. Sometime after July 4. 8-9 days. Lots of gravel/forest roads. first and last days all pavement. 1000+ miles unless we cut it short. Big bike friendly.

I would also like an overnighter to Crab Creek. A weekend to Riggins. Hells Canyon gathering is in June.

A normal spring would be nice.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #137
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
I'm down near Lewiston. I'm always looking for someone to ride with. Hit me up when ever you want to ride. I think I'll wait though until all this rains stops.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #138
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I'm down near Lewiston. I'm always looking for someone to ride with. Hit me up when ever you want to ride. I think I'll wait though until all this rains stops.
Hot down here today, have both doors open right now.

I need to get several projects done but could be probably persuaded to do a ride Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully I will have the DR350 giong again ( waiting for a part) so I havbe options.
Looks like I will have one of those tractor thingys finally, probably going to get a new honda 450 with electric power steering.

Think the dent road is free of snow?
Just realized that now is the time to see Palouse falls, with all this runoff.
Main problem is it is supposed to keep raining for quite a while.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #139
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

You are exaggerating a little about being hot. It just wasn't cold today and didn't rain.

There isn't much snow down low after the other day. My neighbor was up by Weippe last weekend and he said there was no snow there.

The falls would be impressive, especially after the rain we are suppose to be getting this week. It is suppose to be just partly cloudy at least one day this weekend so lets plan something.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #140
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 850
I'm still here too, and once in a while I even manage to get a ride in among everything else. Good to see you are still around Spaniard. (Hi Roy and Dick!). I'll stay tuned.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #141
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
What kind of route options are there to Palouse Falls?, isn't that on the Starbuck cutoff road.

DRZ400s
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #142
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItRoll View Post
What kind of route options are there to Palouse Falls?, isn't that on the Starbuck cutoff road.

DRZ400s
It is. The only roads I know are heading W on Hwy 12 and heading west from Colfax towards Vantage.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #143
thetourist
Just passing thru

Union Flats Road. Union Flats Creek runs from Genessee flats to out near LaCross.

From Colfax...On hwy 26, west side of Colfax, aim for Endicott. There are signs. This will eventually lead to Washtucna.

From the north side of Moscow. Estes Rd to Kamiak Butte to Colfax.

From west Moscow, use the airport road and north in Pullman to Kamiak.

From Lewiston, west on the north side of the Snake and north at Steptoe Canyon (gravel) or north at Wawawai (pavement) to connect to Union Flats.

Both routes are mostly pavement.

thetourist screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 10:04 AM
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #144
thetourist
Just passing thru

I had to go check a road name.

Clarkston to Pomeroy, Peola Road on the south side of 12. West of Pomeroy take Marengo south. OR...south at Dodge Junction to Tucannon Rd or Turner and reconnect with 12.

Cross 12 and get on Whetstone north to Starbuck.

Some of these roads are county gravel. Turner and Whetstone are paved.

The west end of Peola goes to gravel and was slimey in places weekend before last. Great views off of Peola.

South out of Dodge Jnct is gravel and twisty over a ridge. Wind farm up here somewhere. Roy and I did this a couple yrs ago. Good ride.

Everything connect out here in the Palouse. The Snake is the big divider. I often get totally lost. I just keep heading in a general direction and eventually hit 12 or 26.

The consumate rider of the Palouse MUST ride to Hay, WA.

thetourist screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 10:32 AM
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #145
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Tourist:

I think I have a couple of used tires from my KLR lying around. I don't know if they will fit your DR, but you are welcome to them. They are worn a little, but look like new compared to the ones you have on the DR.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #146
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

The weather isn't looking too good for the weekend. There might be a possibility for a short ride between storms on Sun.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #147
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
The rattle snake grade and the grade out of Asotin are AMAZING.

I would have rode the he!! out of these roads when I was at WAZZU (IF I had known about them).

Hit these roads up, they're a BLAST.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #148
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
Greetings all, I've just started posting here recently. 25+ years in the Orofino & LC valley, long time M/C background (i'm not that old, just started young) hmmm (at least I don't feel that old). Currently riding a DRZ400S with small windscreen and 15t / 41t gearing. Looking forward to doing some exploring around here this spring if it ever stops raining. I mostly prefer dirt/gravel roads over busy paved routes, don't mind running down the pavement for 20 miles or so to get to the next unpaved road, just like to stay away from the cages as much as possible. I have been planning on exploring the area between Lower granite Dam, and Little Goose this spring, staying between highway 12 and the river. Also to make a complete loop it looks like from Goose you can get up on the rim (north side of river) and stay between Hwy. 26 and the river all the way back to Pullman/Moscow area, maybe through Hay Wa. as one other poster here mentioned (thetourist). I may piece that together and just do a portion at a time. I can usually adjust my schedule to fit in a ride on a day or two's notice, don't need perfect weather to ride in but also I don't purposly ride in all day bad weather either. Anyway thanks for all the previous replies and I look forward to doing some riding this year, and seeing some others out there.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #149
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItRoll View Post
Greetings all, I've just started posting here recently. 25+ years in the Orofino & LC valley, long time M/C background (i'm not that old, just started young) hmmm (at least I don't feel that old). Currently riding a DRZ400S with small windscreen and 15t / 41t gearing. Looking forward to doing some exploring around here this spring if it ever stops raining. I mostly prefer dirt/gravel roads over busy paved routes, don't mind running down the pavement for 20 miles or so to get to the next unpaved road, just like to stay away from the cages as much as possible. I have been planning on exploring the area between Lower granite Dam, and Little Goose this spring, staying between highway 12 and the river. Also to make a complete loop it looks like from Goose you can get up on the rim (north side of river) and stay between Hwy. 26 and the river all the way back to Pullman/Moscow area, maybe through Hay Wa. as one other poster here mentioned (thetourist). I may piece that together and just do a portion at a time. I can usually adjust my schedule to fit in a ride on a day or two's notice, don't need perfect weather to ride in but also I don't purposly ride in all day bad weather either. Anyway thanks for all the previous replies and I look forward to doing some riding this year, and seeing some others out there.
I've ridden a lot of those roads, not because I wanted to, but I've got lost in that farm country and ride until I hit a road I know.

There is a lot better riding south of hwy 12. The scenery is much better than the farm land you are talking about. You can head south from Pomeroy and wind up in Asotin, Enterprise, the Snake River, or Dayton. There is everything from good roads to some challenging roads.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #150
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
there is a great pretty much all dirt loop road from Clarkston, Tucannon, Jublee Lake, Troy, and back to Clarkston... right at 200 miles

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote