ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #841
sethc06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quickly?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #842
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
never quickly unless it is late.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #843
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessRider View Post
Joseph Creek 2014: It was a great ride today. My first off road ride of the year, a bit nervous in the beginning but that wore off as the ride went along. I did a total of 220 miles today. I went into Mac's cycle towards the end of the meeting in the morning, hoping to just chat with a few folks and ride back home. But was pleasantly surprised when Mtnseeker, Sorebutt, Idarider and Idabeemerboy had already made plans for a post-meeting ride to Joseph Creek.

After leaving Mac's we headed straight to Asotin and fueled up. Then we took the Snake river road which gently winds along the river. The road is paved for about 20 miles, after which it turns into a hard pack road with a little bit of gravel on top. There are a few ranches on the side of the road and it passes through some small communities. After about 10 miles or so the gravel road turns into a bit of a rocky trail which starts to climb. We went in about 15 miles until we hit some snow drifts.

On the way back home, I took the scenic route, the Wawawai river road. I was getting bored with taking hwy 195 back and hence decided to take the longer Wawawai route. The canyons were a beautiful green colour and the road was in excellent shape with hardly any traffic. The road runs along the river for about 25 miles before it veers off and climbs up to the Palouse. It was considerably more windy and cooler than the LC valley, mid 40s I think. I highly recommend this road for anyone who is into sport touring or cruising. I reached home before 4PM, tired but satisfied after a splendid day of motorcycling and camaraderie with my fellow riders. Some pictures from the day.

Sorebutt and Idabeemerboy:
[/URL]

Idarider:
[/URL]

Mtnseeker:
/URL]

[/URL]

Idarider and Sorebutt:
[/URL]

Mtnseeker:
[/URL]
Hey! I was the guy heading South just North of Heller Bar when you guys were heading toward Asotin... I left my F bike at home and was on the lighter Suzuki DRZ.

So my hats off to all of you for getting those tanks as far as you did... as they are not snowmobiles! Up on top there was new snow and the snow stretches got longer and longer (as well as deeper) so I finally turned the Suzuki around.

WARNING FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW: If you are riding this road some of the cattle guard are missing a lot of iron as in tire trapping bad shit happens Did not happen to me but almost...

I showed your pictures to my wife after she said (no way am I riding Joseph Creek anytime soon) and now in a week or so I have used your pictures to shame her into riding the route (it has been one of our favorites to ride dirt to Enterprise (or in late Spring to Half Way)

Phoenix101 screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 09:24 AM
Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #844
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Hello Phoenix101! I noticed the missing iron bars in the cattle guard in the last minute and managed to stay clear of it. It can be easy for anyone to get distracted with the scenery in the area and fall into the trap. Joseph creek has a notoriety for accidents, so one can never be too alert. Anyway, the ride was fun and there were no mishaps. I was on my 250 dual sport and I was surprised how the other guys handled their big bikes deftly, especially the 1200GSes, on rocky Joseph creek and Horse creek trails. Kudos to them.
Last year, about late Spring, we did Joseph creek to Buckhorn lookout, which was a pretty good ride. You are welcome to join us on future rides if you are interested.
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #845
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,956
I had been wishing that I had taken my DR350 since it is a lot more fun on the bad stuff but on the way back home I let the 12GS run a little after getting off the creek.

I have ridden the GS in up to 4" of snow with ice underneath and the ABS brakes are the only thing that keeps you from going down.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #846
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Ride to Palouse Falls

Late day ride pretty much all tar from Clarkston, thru Starbuck to Palouse Falls.. home back thru Hay, Central Ferry and home (180 miles). The falls were cool but not a ton of water coming over them.

A FYI: Starbuck has a 7 day a week bar/restaurant, good service, food fair... bring CASH... they don't do cards (they do have an ATM.. $4 to use )... anyway a place for lunch or dinner on the North end of Columbia County is cool.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #847
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessRider View Post
Last year, about late Spring, we did Joseph creek to Buckhorn lookout, which was a pretty good ride. You are welcome to join us on future rides if you are interested.
did we not do that ride with Gary Smith down to Iminahaha? I am always looking for someone to ride with so I am game (wife get stuck being on call on some weekends)... my weapons new DRZ400 and a farkled 2003 F650GS

Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #848
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
We had a good ride today. We had a real mix of weather, but over all it was pretty good. We had a nice bull elk run down the road in front of us. I think Rob got some GoPro pictures of it.

The roads were pretty good with the exception of the road dropping from Joseph Plains to Whitebird. They had just bladed it so it was loose with rain on it. It was pretty slimey.

Overall a pretty good ride for this time of year. I put in 258 miles.

I'll try to post some pictures later.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #849
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry, I am not able to place you. I remember doing a paved ride to Enterprise with a large group back in summer 2010 and after that only two of us went down to Imnaha and onto Hat point. Back then I had a DR650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
did we not do that ride with Gary Smith down to Iminahaha? I am always looking for someone to ride with so I am game (wife get stuck being on call on some weekends)... my weapons new DRZ400 and a farkled 2003 F650GS
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #850
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
We had a good ride today.

Overall a pretty good ride for this time of year. I put in 258 miles.

I'll try to post some pictures later.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #851
DoubleThumper
Purposefully Lost

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
We had a good ride today. We had a real mix of weather, but over all it was pretty good. We had a nice bull elk run down the road in front of us. I think Rob got some GoPro pictures of it.

The roads were pretty good with the exception of the road dropping from Joseph Plains to Whitebird. They had just bladed it so it was loose with rain on it. It was pretty slimey.

Overall a pretty good ride for this time of year.
sorebutt, Thanks for the heads up on that new (to me) last leg of my ride home! It's always great to add more little favorites to the local routes!

Sent from my MIND using TELEKINESIS V2.3
DoubleThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #852
sethc06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Now where are all the pictures! Maybe even an elk?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #853
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
Nice to see you guys are having fun riding.

Roy gets extra points for capturing a flower.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #854
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice to see you guys are having fun riding.

Roy gets extra points for capturing a flower.

Exactly why I took the picture
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #855
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
any intelligence out there?

Do you guys know if the Road from Nyssa OR down to Lake Owyhee SP is paved??
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote