User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Ralle-Moto Steering Dampers

See post dated March 5 2011 for special pricing on the RM1 damper kit for the F800GS

BestRest is the new Ralle-Moto importer/distributor for the US.

Some may ask, "what's a steering damper?" It's a hydraulic control module attached to the upper triple clamp that controls movement of the bars (and the front wheel) in side-to-side motion.

Some may ask, "why do I need one?" The benefits of a steering damper are improved control on the street and trail, and less rider fatigue. When the side-to-side movement of the front wheel is controlled, the bike handles better and the rider experiences less fatigue.

Ever ridden a rocky trail, or a rutted road, or loose gravel, or in sand or mud or other conditions where the bike wiggled and weaved and felt like it was hinged in the middle? A steering damper will greatly reduce (or even eliminate) this sensation. You'll be able to transit tough conditions easier and with more confidence.

The Ralle-Moto has 3 main settings ( M - D - C ), and 8 sub-settings.

“M” for Motocross- when this mode is selected the stabilizer will damp per the main adjuster settings 1-8, as you turn the bars to the left or to the right. At a 30 degree turning point the damping will fade to zero until you reach the steering stops. As you straighten the bars, the stabilizer has zero damping effect. This profile is ideal where the motorcycle is being ridden over jumps typically found on motocross tracks. This makes it easier to straighten the steering in the air, while still drastically reducing headshake & absorbing wheel deflections while on the ground.

“D” for Desert- when this mode is selected the stabilizer will damp per the main adjuster settings 1-8, as you turn the bars to the left or to the right. At a 30 degree turning point the damping will fade to zero until you reach the steering stops. As you straighten the bars the stabilizer maintains 50% of its damping effect. This profile is ideal when the motorcycle/quad bike is being ridden at high speed, typically using higher than position 6 on the main adjuster. This setting allows the rider to use the harder damper settings to eliminate high speed headshake in the sand whoops commonly found in desert country.

“C” for cross-country -when this mode is selected the stabilizer will damp per the main adjuster settings 1-8, as you turn the bars to the left or to the right. At a 30 degree turning point the damping will fade to zero until you reach the steering stops. As you straighten the bars the stabilizer damps in reverse. This profile is ideal when the motorcycle is being ridden in rocky, rutted terrain where obstacles are trying to deflect the front wheel & handlebars from the rider’s hands, typically found when riding cross-country.

The adjuster provides the rider with 8 levels of dampening force, they range from position 1 where the stabilizer is still functioning with a very light dampening effect, through to position 8 where the dampening effect is very noticeable at the handlebars.

Initially, we'll be stocking units that fit these bikes:
BMW G650X
F800GS
R1200GS
Pricing is listed on our website: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-14...o-dampers.aspx

Other models made by Ralle-Moto (not currently stocked, but still available) include:
BMW F650GS and Dakar
BMW R1150GS and GSA
BMW HP2 Enduro
KTM 650/690
KTM 960/990
Suzuki DR650
Suzuki DL650
Yamaha WR250R
Contact us by phone or email to order these models.

===================

Before we took on the Ralle-Moto product line, I needed some convincing. So I bought one and put it on my own F800GS. After a few minutes on twisty tarmac, forest roads, and single track trails, I'm a Steering Damper Convert. The Ralle-Moto damper works as advertised. It delivers improved ride on the steet and trail, it takes the tension out of difficult terrain, and it makes me a better rider. For me that makes it worth the investment. I need all the help I can get.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com

davidpetersen screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 08:41 AM
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I got mine from the boys down under, and paid lots of AU$, but it was worth it. I've ridden the bike quite briskly through some fairly bumpy stuff and have been amazed by the stability of the bike. I dialed it down and back up to sanity check, and confirmed ... yep, the thing is great.

Now I just need to fix the front and rear suspension and the thing will be Dakar-ready ... :)
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

For those that asked for clarification, here's a graphic showing the various settings of the Ralle-Moto damper.

A. There's 8 settings that determine the amount of damping force as the are turned right or left, from a straight-ahead position.

B. There's also 3 "trail condition" settings, which determine the damping characteristics as the bars are returned to the straight-ahead position.

For best viewing click here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/imag...2008-06-09.pdf

F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

davidpetersen screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 02:15 PM
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
Is this the same damper?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

Can't really tell from the photo, but I don't think so.

It should have the Ralle-Moto name engraved on top, and I don't see that in your photo.

Another identifier - if it doesn't have 3 main settings at the front, and 8 sub-settings at the rear, then it's not a Ralle-Moto damper.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
pInniT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thats a MSC Titan steering dampener exactly the same as a Ralle-Moto, MSC is the company that makes them in Australia, Ralle-Moto is their new adventure specific brand.
pInniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

Message updated Monday morning Aug 31 '09

We now have kits these in stock:

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom and Suzuki DL-650 Wee-Strom (kit fits either bike)
Suzuki DR-650

=============

We sold out of BMW F800GS kits, but more are arriving the week of Aug 31-Sep 4.

=============

Other kits that have been shipped via air freight, arriving in the next couple days:

KTM 950/990

BMW R12GS Standard, 04-07; this kit does not require replacement of the top triple clamp.

=============

Kits that are nearly ready to ship to us:

KTM 690E
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

davidpetersen screwed with this post 08-31-2009 at 07:52 AM
Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Hi guys im Mark from MSC Products/Ralle-Moto Adventure, we have been getting a huge response for our products through this forum so i thought i would come check it out and be availible to answer any tech questions you might have on steering dampers, triple clamps etc. i actually stand at the CNC every day and make the products we sell, all the development is done in house by myself and my son Vaughan, we also have some fantastic distrbutors in steve from adventure moto and dave from best rest so please feel free to ask any questions and i will try my best to answer asap!!!

Also we updated the website www.rallemoto.com on the weekend with some new pics of new products like our new GS 1200 $950AUD and KTM 690 $895AUD as well as many more. If anyone has any pics they wouldnt mind us using on our website please feel free to send them through!!

Thanks for all the support, i look forward producing more innovative products for all you guys!!!!

Cheers
Mark
mark0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

BestRest has added some more Ralle-Moto damper kits to our inventory:

G650X
F800GS
R1150GS
R1200GS 04-07 Standard Duty
R1200GS and GS-A Heavy Duty
KTM 640/950/990
Suzuki DL-1000 and DL-650
Suzuki DR-650

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-14...o-dampers.aspx
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
XTJohn
DIGITI EXTRACTUUS

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0ne
Hi guys im Mark from MSC Products/Ralle-Moto Adventure, we have been getting a huge response for our products through this forum so i thought i would come check it out and be availible to answer any tech questions you might have on steering dampers, triple clamps etc. i actually stand at the CNC every day and make the products we sell, all the development is done in house by myself and my son Vaughan, we also have some fantastic distrbutors in steve from adventure moto and dave from best rest so please feel free to ask any questions and i will try my best to answer asap!!!

Cheers
Mark
G,day Mark, I have a question about fitting.
On my DR650 I have ProTaper fat bars & risers along with a Safari tank. Can one of these dampers be made to fit with this configuration, or an MSC underbar damper perhaps?
Thanks...XT.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJohn
G,day Mark, I have a question about fitting.
On my DR650 I have ProTaper fat bars & risers along with a Safari tank. Can one of these dampers be made to fit with this configuration, or an MSC underbar damper perhaps?
Thanks...XT.
Hi XT,

Yes we have a DR650 kit in available to fit your bike, our kit is made to fit under a set of taper bars while raising the bars 30mm if you fitted your taper bars with a piggy back adaptor our kit will raise it another 10-15mm and all so move them forward about 10mm, the RV aqualine "SAFARI TANKS" fit no dramas!

drop SteveRed our distributer a line he can let know on stock levels as these kits are very popular!

thanks
Mark
mark0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
AdvRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
2010 KTM 990 Adventure

Can I ask if anyone knows if the new Ralle-Moto RM2 Steering Damper for the 2010 KTM 990's will work with a Highwaydirtbikes handguard set with their top and bottom clamps? And is there any discount for the ADVRider inmates for one?
AdvRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
davidpetersen OP
BestRest Adventurer

RM1 Dampers for F800GS - $625

We've got 4 of the "old style" F800GS RM-1 dampers for sale. New in the box, special price. $625.00

Details here: Ralle-Moto F8GS RM1

If you're looking for an F800GS steering damper from Ralle-Moto, you have 2 choices:

RM1 - $625 includes a 22mm riser block. These are the black anodized kits, built like a tank. I've used one on my F8GS for years, and it's the bomb.

RM2 - $660 includes a 20mm or 30mm riser block. This is the new kit, slightly more sophisticated in design, gold anodized. It'll do everything the RM1 does, just fits differently.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
richardrae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Fitment on a G650GS Sertao

Anyone have these installed on their g650gs? I've got heated grips and rox risers already, so I'm wondering if there will be any issues before I order... or if they even fit as they're listed for the f650.

Thanks!
richardrae is offline   Reply With Quote