KarlMalone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
I have a DR400 and a DL 1000. There is no way the Strom will go where
the DR will. Pure physics. The DL will dig a hole, it doesn't have the turning
radius for tight switch backs it's just a big tank off road. That being
said I did take it to Prudhoe Bay on that slimey God forsaken mud bath.
It made it. Still it was a groomed road that's just fine for semis too.

To compare it to doing small bore trails is just plain stupid. Rider ability
or not the bike has limitations that exceed even the best rider.
He said it all. Ive ridden then and its a great bike if you use it right, my problem is people sayings it can go anywhere a 400 can do thats just not ture.
KarlMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #47
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
I have a DL 650. Here's a run down...

Big tank and 52+ mpg means 250 miles with a lot of reserve. The guys at work with their big cruisers with 3.5 gallon tanks and 32 mpg are green.

Good-ish wind protection now that I got a Cee Bailey windshield.

The roads suck here, so road riding is almost dual sporting sometimes. I don't cringe when I see a big bump coming - the gushy suspension soaks it all up really nice. I don't want to go back to a regular bike again.

The engine. I just love it. I dunno why, it isn't powerful or anything. It's just that thrummy, torquey, neat sounding kind of power. And you can bang through the gears without going 250 mph, so it's more fun than a sport bike where you're always resisting the urge to twist. The tranny has gotten buttery smooth with some time on it now, so it's snick snick snick funness.

The adjust-on-the-fly rear shock preload adjuster (yes I've done it. Sue me). Kinda cool.

Dislikes:

The seat. It sucks. I hate it. 30 miles and I'm squirming. Easy fix tho.

The brakes. Bleah. Another easy fix.

Busy at speed. I went up a tooth on the front sporket. More better on the slab.

Vague front end feel. But that's what you get with a budget bike with long suspenders.

Off idle micro-hesitation. I like carburetors....

Dirt bike? I dunno...

Anytime I get ideas about playing in the woods (from reading stuff here) I go for a ride and forget all about it.

It's a street bike.
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #48
950SMulate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett
I started this tread just wondering what the difference between the V-stroms and pure "street bikes" were.

I didn't hear they have twice the suspension of street bikes, or they are geared different, or anything concrete. Just that they are "capable".

And that is fine. I wasn't trying to classify it........ just curious.
Yea, looks like everyone missed the point.....
It has a 19" fromt wheel and 17"" back, 6" or 7"of suspension travel and a short 1st gear for better off road use but 6th is an overdrive for better highway use. This trany setup sounds good on paper but I hated it. I founnd that bike was pretty decent on rough gravel roads but anything more than that is a lot of hard work and not much fun regardless of skill.
You get a lot for the monney and the bike makes a great Adventure tourer.
If you're an agressive etreet rider than revalved and resprung front forks is a must with SS brake lines and a better master cylinder, raising the forks 10 to 15 mm above the tripple clamp, and installing a deecent rear shok. Set up like this totaly trensforms the bike and on tight twisty roads (especialy rough roads)I could walk all over most spport bikes.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #49
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
Its not true dual sport that your going to go take out on dirtbike trails or anything, but with a set of DOT legal knobbies its quite impressive where it will go!

You'll need a high fender for mud though.

And there you have it. They can do a lot... Just by the book definitions that generalize bikes put them in the Adventure tourer category, not the dual sport. Really though, they're just too comfortable to be a dual sport anyway.

Edit: Doncha just hate it when you hit those gumball roads. You want to get on to the next adventure and fun part, but you have to struggle through that crap! One time when I was "dual sporting" the SR500 I had to actually unbolt the front fender to clean it out. The friction between the clay mud and the tire baked the mud into a solid chunk in the fender. Pain in the butt.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 03-02-2009 at 06:28 PM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #50
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,730
Laugh

Cool bike, but it can't even cross over a little water runoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoF0gvh4_38
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #51
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,434
Whats funny about that vid is that he kept pushing it deeper into the water.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #52
RocketDog
Rocket Dog

Oddometer: 70
DL 1000 Great Bike!

I ride a 1000, and a KTM LC4 640. As most replys have mentioned, the Strom is an adventure tourer. It will get you down that dirt road or trail with all your gear and a passenger just fine. That being said, it is heavy and tires are everything! Love this bike!
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #53
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
if you like picking up a heavier moto like a V-strom or GS, they can be taken anywhere a 400cc enduro could.
This statement was made by someone who has never ridden, or in reality never even seen hard core dirt riding. I have thousands of dirt miles on my DL, but God himself couldn't stay alive on one on some of the vertical stuff we ride our enduros on.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #54
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
This statement was made by someone who has never ridden, or in reality never even seen hard core dirt riding. I have thousands of dirt miles on my DL, but God himself couldn't stay alive on one on some of the vertical stuff we ride our enduros on.
Wow, your kidding right? Read more please. We have riders who have taken every bike concievable through every terrain known to mankind. As for myself I have (tried) my various Kawasakis through the roughest goat paths known, not always successful, and breaking off chunks at times, but trying none-the-less.
If your not pushing whatever bike your riding to it's limits at times your not really savoring the real flavor of adventure my friend.
One thing I have found is the bike is ussually more capable than me.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #55
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,484
Cool2

Quote:
I know enough that I don't bother trying riding off-road with heavier bikes like a DL.

You've ridden thousands of dirt miles on your DL and you still havn't tried riding a real dirt bike in comparison? Seems to me that you like to use a 50 lb. hammer to do the job of 2 lb. hammer. Your statement seems to me that you've never seen "hard core" dirt riding on a real dirt bike yourself.

I've never known God to ride any bike whether or not God's capable of staying alive, that's seems to me a dumb assumption.

"Vertical stuff"?? show some pictures of the verticle stuff that you have ridden on your DL.. or did you have to ride an "enduro" in the "vertical stuff"? why not ride your DL in the "Vertical stuff"? too heavy of a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020
if you like picking up a heavier moto like a V-strom or GS, they can be taken anywhere a 400cc enduro could.
I did not specify how a V-Strom or GS would get to places a 400cc enduro could, but you guys are smart, you could use a little imagination.. air drop could be an option if a rider is willing.. but I still wouldn't like to pick up a heavy bike if I have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
I like picking up my DL1K.
That's great, why don't you drop it a few time on the ground then pick it up, see how many times you could repeat that in an hour or two?

I am not try to deminish the capability of a V-Strom or any other heavier ADV motos; but simple truth is, a capable rider would manage any moto better off-pavement, if you have doubt about your riding ability in the dirt, start with a lighter moto, you would enjoy it more to want to return to the dirt again and again... if you start with a heavier moto in the dirt, you're more likely to do damage to the moto and yourself... I don't think anyone enjoys that in the end.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #56
KarlMalone
Gnarly Adventurer

I really dont see how people can say a Vstrom can go anywhere a 400 can go, these people are either lying or have never seen how nasty trails can get. Ive taken my XR650R on several black diamond trails and made it out by the slimest of margains, but a Vstrom, come on thats just stupid.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #57
Cat0020
El cheapo

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlMalone
I really dont see how people can say a Vstrom can go anywhere a 400 can go, these people are either lying or have never seen how nasty trails can get. Ive taken my XR650R on several black diamond trails and made it out by the slimest of margains, but a Vstrom, come on thats just stupid.
Just because you can't see something happening, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen nor does it mean that it's untrue.
To assume other people's experience is something ignorant to do. No matter how nasty a trail gets, if there is a will, there is a way; it may not make sense to you, but people do stupid things all the time. Whether it be sheer will or stupidity, it's a matter of perspective.. someone may consider an XR650R on a black diamond trail is stupid, too.. let alone a V-Strom.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #58
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Cat0020
"Vertical stuff"?? show some pictures of the verticle stuff that you have ridden on your DL.. or did you have to ride an "enduro" in the "vertical stuff"? why not ride your DL in the "Vertical stuff"? too heavy of a bike?

Do you actually read before you post? Of course ithe DL is too heavy for hard core dirt. I was refuting your post that said...

"if you like picking up a heavier moto like a V-strom or GS, they can be taken anywhere a 400cc enduro could."

I never said that I ride my DL on vertical stuff. I said my ENDURO, which is a 400 KTM .
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #59
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
I never said that I ride my DL on vertical stuff. I said my ENDURO, which is a 400 KTM .
Great, show some pics. Let's see how knarly those "vertical stuff" really is.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 03-06-2009 at 08:40 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #60
KarlMalone
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Great, show some pics. Let's see how knarly those "vertical stuff" really is.
I have a feeling you've never been on nasty single track, cause if you had ever ridden a dirt bike on just Moderate difficult trails which I do almost every weekend you would have a clue. I'm a pretty experienced dirt rider and anybody else who is, finds what you say ridiculous. You've taken on some very skew reality of bikes, could a person in their backyard make a rocket that could go to mars, I guess nothing is impossible. In the realm of reality that most of us choose to live our lives in, both the possibilities of me making a rocket to go to mars and taking a Vstrom on a black diamond trial and living to see tomorrow are in the same reality.