Oddometer: 4,215
hmm. maybe my tire pressure was low

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #122
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

just added the Heideanu k60 tires. Here's a link to a review in GSpot.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487217

I don't see an online ordering system so I'm assuming you have to call Moto Amore. From what I've read their prices are off. In the US they're very expensive, in Europe they're cheaper than TKCs.

They sound like the Mefos. Good tires but since they're made in Europe the supply is spotty and the prices are outrageous over here. There are other tires out there that are easier and cheaper to get your hands on. I'd avoid both of them unless you happen to have a local dealer that stocks them. The Michelin T63s are a better alternative here in the States.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 08:31 AM
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #123
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,363
Brad
have you had the T63 on your bike, I have them on my KLR and even bought a extra set to have around but now the R100GS needs tires and i am hesitant about putting T63'S on a bike that weighs more than a KLR.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #124
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

not yet. I'm really kicking myself for not getting a set on this last order. If the IRCs I ordered don't last me until next summer's road trip I'll be getting the T63s.

The folks in GSpot like them on their heavy bikes. They all compare them to the TKCs in performance. They cost half as much though and I love me some cheap tires!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #125
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,363
That is good to know that the big bikes run them with no problems, i dont like the fact that they are a tube type and i would have to run tubes, I have no choice on the KLR tubes are must .
I just did not know how the T63'S would act under heavy load in the twistys on pavement, they look a little more aggressive than the TKC and i thought they may not stick like the TKC.

I will know and trust them more as soon as i can get out on the KLR and see how the T63'S act.
May end up putting the extra set on the R100GS.

Motorcycle Super store has the T63'S for $112.00 a set delivered.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #126
Zortose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zortose
I'm running Shinko 700's on mine. I like them a lot.
Not knobs but aggressive enough for most of the conditions I see.
They seem to be wearing pretty well. I've got just under 2.5k on mine and they barely look worn.
Probably 40% of those miles are dirt and gravel. They do buzz a little on pavement but nothing horrible.
The dirt roads I encountered yesterday were anything from snow covered and icy to rutted and slush/muddy. Felt fine.

Here are the tires as of yesterday, post ride.
Pasted my review from another thread by request.
I like these Shinko's so far. I'll know more in the spring when I do some 2-up trips with the wife. So far, so good.

"We've met before, haven't we?"
Zortose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #127
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I appreciate it!

Quote:
i dont like the fact that they are a tube type and i would have to run tubes, I have no choice on the KLR tubes are must .
I didn't know they were tube-type only. I couldn't find anything on their website saying one way or the other. I'll dig around in GSpot and see if I can find anybody that ran them tubeless and lived to tell about it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #128
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,277
Thanks for the great reference mate!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #129
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

no problemo!

tires are in. These are the IRC GP-110s next to my benchmark, the Avon Distanzias.

Very similar in width and pointiness. The tires are very floppy, especially the front. Kinda like picking up a bicycle tire. They don't hold their shape well whereas most other tires are very stiff. Maybe there's less material in the carcass or something. It could be a good thing for offroad since they'd change shape to terrain better. I'll spoon 'em on tomorrow and get some on-the-bike pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #130
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I only got in a short ride before the rain started. They handle kinda funny. They take a lot more pressure on the bars to get the bike to turn but after it's leaned over it wants to fall into corners.

I don't want to push them too much yet because there's a lot of that white film/silicone stuff on them and I don't think the current rain is a good time to see how they do.

not as good looking as TKCs but then, what is?
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #131
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Heidenau K60

You all might have read the reviews of the Heidenau K60 in GSpot and here in Old School. The tire seems to be the tits as a 50/50 with reported 10.000mls on the rear of an Oilhead GS!

I have set my heart on getting one of those in 1st generation (1981-1987) Airhead GS sizes.

The US importer doesn't seem to import any of the below rear sizes though:

T-rated (118mph)
120/80 - 18 M/C 62 T
120/90 - 18 M/C 71 T

S-rated (112mph)
4.10 - 18 60S
4.00 - 18 64S

Does anybody know anything different? Do all G/S riders have to send an email to Heidenau USA aka Moto Amore (motoamore@hotmail.com) and ask for clarification? I have already asked and am waiting for their response.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #132
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,239
Irc Gp 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I only got in a short ride before the rain started. They handle kinda funny. They take a lot more pressure on the bars to get the bike to turn but after it's leaned over it wants to fall into corners.

I don't want to push them too much yet because there's a lot of that white film/silicone stuff on them and I don't think the current rain is a good time to see how they do.

not as good looking as TKCs but then, what is?
I had been looking at these tires--they appear kinda cool. I was considering their 4.60x18 for a vintage project.

I "researched" some threads on a few off-road motorcycle forums, and they didn't get very good reviews. Not good in mud, passable on street IF you have a lightweight bike (my project IS NOT a lightweight). Others had mentioned the "floppy" sidewalls.

The intended use of the 4.60x18 is the front tire of a TW200 Yamaha (their fat-tired trailbike), not a rear wheel of a large powerful dualsport.

As for my GSPD, I'm partial to TKC80s and Tourances depending on the mission.

Tom in Salem
Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #133
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I've had a chance to put a lot more miles on the IRC GP-110s and do some offroading. I'm very happy with them.

I did some steep hill climbs in the woods, no trail, so I was on a solid bed of pine needles. I slid around like I was on ice with the Distanzias in the same place while these hooked up well.

As usual, I can't say much about road performance as I don't demand much from tires on the street. They handle fine now that I'm used to them. I'll post the mileage on 'em when I get it.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #134
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,277
Just got some Kenda K270s in. Will report back in the fall.

Thanks again for the reference, bgoodsoil.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #135
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

hey I'm glad to add something useful to the forum!

Ya'll have Putts to thank for this thread as much as me. I spent a lot of time putting together the first page....then I accidentally deleted it Putts reminded me that I could go back in my History to find an older version so I could restore it. SuperMod to the rescue