User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Clipping Cars While Flitering?

So I just moved to CA and am getting into filtering/splitting. I actually really like it as it cuts our travel time in half or more in most places.

Earlier in the week, my floppy handguard on my clutch hand clipped some guy's mirror while I was filtering. He was close to the line and I was going plenty slow and kind of weaving so as to avoid actually hitting his car. It just barely touched, definitely no damage, and he did not seem to care (that is, he didn't ride up my a$$ and shoot at me). Has anyone had any more extreme experience with contacting cars while filtering? Your fault/cage's fault, do you stop/run? haha

I take care not to filter if there is obviously not enough room for me, and I slow way down if it looks like it will be narrow at all. I'm more interested in people's actual experiences rather than being chastised for being a lane splitting hooligan
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
(...) filtering/splitting. I actually really like it (...)
You and every other rider in the world!

Quote:
Has anyone had any more extreme experience with contacting cars while filtering?
If you commute by bike every day (I do), it's bound to happen once in a while. When it happens to me, I stop, flip up the visor, make eye contact with the driver, say/mimic an apology and wait for an acknowledgement from him/her. It works, the situation never escalated.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Quote:
Earlier in the week, my floppy handguard on my clutch hand clipped some guy's mirror while I was filtering. He was close to the line and I was going plenty slow and kind of weaving so as to avoid actually hitting his car. It just barely touched, definitely no damage, and he did not seem to care (that is, he didn't ride up my a$$ and shoot at me). Has anyone had any more extreme experience with contacting cars while filtering? Your fault/cage's fault, do you stop/run? haha
In the instance you cite, your fault.

Cage driver was "close to the line", so not on or over the line. In other words, in his lane.

You, as the passer, bear the responsibility of making the pass in a safe manner.

Should you cause damage during any passing maneuver, I hope you stop and make yourself accountable.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
In the instance you cite, your fault.

Cage driver was "close to the line", so not on or over the line. In other words, in his lane.

You, as the passer, bear the responsibility of making the pass in a safe manner.

Should you cause damage during any passing maneuver, I hope you stop and make yourself accountable.

I know I would be pissed if someone damaged my car like that.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
mamm
< advertise here! >

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Ahem:

Quote:
It just barely touched, definitely no damage
This corroborates my experience. The few times it happened to me, no damage either, it was always a very light touch. I followed the procedure outlined in my previous post and both me and the respective drivers did go on our merry ways.

mamm screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 11:54 AM
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
Wait, we are on ADV after all. The forum where someone can be shot if he leaves a note on your helmet hanging off your handbars (don't touch my property even with the tip of a sheet of paper!) but where you can clip every mirrors you want and it's the cager's fault (get out of my way!)

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Ahem:

This corroborates my experience. The few times it happened to me, no damage either, it was always a very light touch. I followed the procedure outlined in my previous post and both me and the respective drivers did go on our merry ways.
So we can do whatever we want on the road as long as there's no damage? Cagers included? I mean, if a car bumps your rear tire at a red light (let's say you're not filtering) with no damage to you or your bike, it's ok then?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
mamm
< advertise here! >

Of course not. Did you miss the part where I said that I always stop and talk/apologize to the driver AND WAIT FOR HIS/HER "OK" before leaving the scene?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,156
Pissed I may need profesional help with the old man Anger

I would shoot someone for nicking my car while I was in traffic!! I am pretty sure even in Ca, its legal to stand your paint jobs ground, and for calling Lane Splitting , Filtering - WTF? Why do you punks have to rename/shorten everything? Had some twit tell me "preash bro" the other day! Really, you can't muster the energy to say Thank You, or Brother!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I sure as shit is stinky wouldn't just ride away -- that's how you loose legal lane-splitting.
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
I take care not to filter if there is obviously not enough room for me, and I slow way down if it looks like it will be narrow at all. I'm more interested in people's actual experiences rather than being chastised for being a lane splitting hooligan
I guess this should be a lesson to me that I shouldn't even bother putting these disclaimers in. In fact, maybe I shouldn't post, period
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,383
I exploded a right rear view mirror with a bar end as I was getting on the freeway once. The driver thought she could pass a bunch of traffic by cutting onto the onramp while I was on it.

Then there was the minivan tail light with the other bar. Bent the bar and broke my little finger. I had pieces of the tail light in my lap when I got to work.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Ahem:

Ahem, I said IF someone damaged my car like that! I did not accuse the OP of actually creating any damage!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Tragic Image
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I clipped a car trailer one time with the hard cases I had on. No damage to his trailer, scratches to my fairings.

He was PISSED! I got an ass chewing for a few good minutes, and then offered my insurance info. He said no.
Tragic Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
All I know is if you clip any part of any of my vehicles while splitting, I will be fucking pissed, even if you "think" there is "no damage." Won't be able to catch you, but you bet your ass I'm taking your plate number and reporting you as a hit and run.

Short story -- don't clip people's vehicles. If you can't fit, don't split.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote