Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi Beemerchef....good hearing from you again. I know about the pusher tire but have been unable in getting one, it seems that Dave(inmate Stroker????) isn't producing these tires en masse, so I am waiting for him to solicit our needs before building them in quantities. Also he will have to differentiate the wheel mounts for those wanting them for their 1100; 1150, and 1200 Gs'es. He seems to build them in-house?

Actually he has a very capable machinist making them... last I heard he was making about 10 of them. Do you want his e mail? he is working right now but will be home next week. Just talked to him yesterday as I am going to try a snow/mud tire!!! I understand about the fittings... I put this wheel on much easier than the stock! Beautiful job... Let me know, anything I can do to help... By getting 12K on the front and car this has really opened up my riding!!! I was getting 3K... and much $'s to replace them

Be well, Ara & Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 153
Advantage Wheel

We are starting to catch up on wheel orders, but thankfully there is a lot of new interest. It seems that quite a few hack pilots were burning up too many tires. Send me a PM and we will get you on the list for a wheel. Thanks, Stroker
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 153
Your New Rig

Abenteuefaher, your new rig is a work of art. I can't wait to see it in person. Jay's new subframe and hack frame are worlds apart from the earlier model. I feel a little foolish as after backtacking thru your thread I realize (and remember) that you are wanting a pusher wheel for a 1200GS. I need to get my hands on a 1200 wheel so we can reverse engineer a proto-type pusher wheel to try on your rig. Congradulations on your project! Stroker
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Smiley1eye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
That hack is the bee's knees! That aux fuel tank idea is getting copied! Hope you take it as a compliment.
Smiley1eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
No doubt you will have one beautiful rig when you're done Elmer!!

You're in good hands with Jay, he'll come though. Too bad about the hickup but things happen.

Oh, Hey, watch that Ara dude you'll get that nice paint chipped up if you ride with him

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Thanks for the encouraging words, CLAUDE. Am a bit down after finding out things don't fit..hhmmmnnn...and further dealys into the riding season...so it's the norm then among Tub builders to expect some glitches here and there. I suppose Tub building is an inexact science..but eventually pulls through.

Oh, I am planning to triple clear coat my topcoats for some protection against Beemerchefs Panzer roostertails....!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #22
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Continued Progress.....

Sand...sand....sand...

Spray..spray..spray.....

That's it for the day...

Cold front comin' this weekend, so no further painting till...???

Cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:03 AM
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Anybody know the source of where I can get a large decal/s......"1200 GS" or simply "GS" to be mounted on my Daunltess TUB's right side. Plan to clear coat over for durability.
Thanks......

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 02:57 PM
Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #24
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
Surely in your area there shoudl be a business that makes stick on signs and /or graphics. Try and contact some of the race car guys if you can or actually any local business that has lettering on their vehicles.
You can also click on the link below and design your own online.
http://www.buildasign.com/ 1-800-330-9622

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 03-19-2009 at 05:48 PM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

As always..Thank you, Claude...
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
I am sure Jay knows who has them...We know that Mike Paull has one with his DSZ(Liberty designed subframe), but he's on the road somewhere and just did the Tierra del Fuego on his 1150 and Jays Hack.
. . . . and Mike Paul's rig is now down at Jay's so that his techs can take measurements - always glad to help out a fellow pilot - you look to have a very cool rig in the works!

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

mikepa screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 10:10 AM
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #27
mikepa
SideCzarist

Order a Spare Shock!

Given my experiences with the Progressive shock used for the sidecar, I'd urge you to order a spare and carry it as part of your road kit! Especially if you plan on having your wife with you in the tub. The good thing about Jay's design, if the shock suffers a "catastrophic failure" (that is, it literally comes apart), the trailing arm is stopped by the sub-chassis, which prevents the top of the wheel from contacting the fender, this means you can still roll along in "limp home mode", as I don't think your actuator will have enough travel to compensate for the radical change in suspension height . Fortunately, these shocks are pretty cheap. Or, have you found an alternative source?

Also, strongly recommend you purchase the Touratech "hard part" for the front forks, their neoprene/Velcro sleeves to keep dust away from, and deflect rock hits from, your front fork tubes. A set of similar shock covers is also a good idea (I'm buying some), and you might even consider having something made up for the top of your actuator. Even if made from Cordura or something similar, a good application of NikWax will make the material almost water-proof. Dust eats seals, and there can be plenty of that stuff on the Haul Road.

Keep those build pics coming!

Best,
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Given my experiences with the Progressive shock used for the sidecar, I'd urge you to order a spare and carry it as part of your road kit! Especially if you plan on having your wife with you in the tub. The good thing about Jay's design, if the shock suffers a "catastrophic failure" (that is, it literally comes apart), the trailing arm is stopped by the sub-chassis, which prevents the top of the wheel from contacting the fender, this means you can still roll along in "limp home mode", as I don't think your actuator will have enough travel to compensate for the radical change in suspension height . Fortunately, these shocks are pretty cheap. Or, have you found an alternative source?

Also, strongly recommend you purchase the Touratech "hard part" for the front forks, their neoprene/Velcro sleeves to keep dust away from, and deflect rock hits from, your front fork tubes. A set of similar shock covers is also a good idea (I'm buying some), and you might even consider having something made up for the top of your actuator. Even if made from Cordura or something similar, a good application of NikWax will make the material almost water-proof. Dust eats seals, and there can be plenty of that stuff on the Haul Road.

Keep those build pics coming!

Best,
Hi MIKEPA....Oh, Yes, I am in the market for a backup shock or even a different shock of more robustness...Hyperpro; Ohlin; Wilbers; Hagon, etc. I have Jay's new Ural GRP clone and the upper shock bolts are not accessible without removing the Tub or having a 1" access hole made from the right passenger side cockpit. Space is too tight! Also like you suggested I'll get those fork sleeves. I got plenty yardage of "Sunbrella" cloth canvas left from my boating days and these will do for the actuator cover.

Mike...Jay says that your Ueberhack #1 is at his barn..and he's making a similar copy of your subframe for mine as he had no luck getting a 2008 subframe to fit my 2005. If there's anything that you'd change for the set-up, let him know.

Plan on posting more pictures but the cold weather spells here in SE North Carolina has prevented me form painting any further. Also I hope you don't mind me hijacking your Ueberhack colors and some farkelings from your EZS, especially the intended BMW roundel logo....love it!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 03:17 PM
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #29
mikepa
SideCzarist

Quote:

Mike...Jay says that your Uebberhack #1 is at his barn..and he's making a similar copy of your subframe for mine as he had no luck getting a 2008 subframe to fit my 2005. If there's anything that you'd change for the set-up, let him know.
Yes, Jay asked if I could drop-off U'Hack 1.0 so he could take some measurements for "another customer". Didn't know at the time is was for you, but am glad to help the two of you get your sub-frame sorted out.

My rig is based on a 2005 R12GS, but remember, everything for the tub either came from EZS, Holland, or was custom-built by Liberty Motors, not Dauntless, so there's not much that would "translate" from that design to yours. You're going to have a better rig regardless, the EZS rigging is great for a mostly-pavement rig - the Dauntless design provides way more ground clearance for the tub for off-pavement work.

Best,
Kenmore, WA
USA

mikepa screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 10:11 AM
Old 03-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #30
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Yes, Jay asked if I could drop-off U'Hack 1.0 so he could take some measurements for "another customer". Didn't know at the time is was for you, but am glad to help the two of you get your sub-frame sorted out.

My rig is based on a 2005 R12GS, but remember, everything for the tub either came from EZS, Holland, or was custom-built by Liberty Motors, not Dauntless, so there's not much that would "translate" from that design to yours. You're going to have a better rig regardless, the EZS rigging is great for a mostly-pavement rig - the Dauntless design provides way more ground clearance for the tub for off-pavement work.

Best,
Jay's was a bit dumbfounded of why the 2008 subframe won't go onto a 2005 even though they look the same. What we found out was that the center-stand attachment point have been relocated(forward) to make lifting the bike easier while on the 2005 it is about 2" aft. When visiting the local BMW dealer I always wondered why lifting the 2008 onto the centerstand was so much easier than mine.

Here are a few things I've farkled on the Ural Tub while waiting for warmer weather so that I can finalize the paint scheme....

Inset BMW Roundel Logo....

It's just laying there on the primer coat..hasn't been fastened yet. This is how it will look with the proper paint....Lemon Yellow...

Note: Rear inset Logo area .......

Farkled the Urals front bumper.

All things BMW ought to be sometimes phrased in German, so added a Steinschlagschutzwand from some piece of aluminum diamond plate to protect the noses bodywork....eh....UeberUral????