Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #31
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Continued Update on the progress of sidecar...

Weather has cooperated a bit..70 degrees, low humidity. Spray painted both sides lemon yellow.

Finished painting Fender and painted light housing. Used URALS's original light housings(primed/painted over steel housing)....

Weather permitting..more painting tomorrow..>>>>>....Monza Red
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #32
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
Thumb She's a beaut !

That thing just keeps gettin purdier !
Brosanc
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #33
Possumhopper
Urinal Pilot

Oddometer: 15
Very nice!
Possumhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #34
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Great WIP (Work In Process) Details!

Hey Abenteuerfahrer -

Great post about your work in process! Obviously, conspiscuity is NOT going to be an issue with your color scheme !

Seeing those pics of your fender causes me to do some "sharing" with you.

Watchning my fender shaking on the washboard along Ruta 40, I was amazed at how much "movement" there was, enough to start a fracture along the inside fender just a few hundreds klicks into the trip:

I see from your pics that Dauntless added a rear fender brace, very cool. I sent Jay some pics of my fender's fracture, apparently, he does listen to feedback from the field, and improves product with every rig he builds!:

However, all the mounting fasteners came loose on my fender, even though most had rubber washers for shock isolation stacked under flat washers on both sides of the fender itself. Word of advice, Loctite EVERYTHING, and don't be stingy with the use of Nylock nuts wherever you can!

Also, those Russian running and turn/tail light housings don't take well to washboard. All of those fasterners came loose (including everything holding the bits together inside), and the plastic used in the lenses is very brittle. Even though I Loctited everything, and did a constant Bolt Patrol (checking the tightness of all externally accessible fasteners), these lamp housings came apart, and electrical and Gorilla tape were the only fasteners that held things together:

A tougher issue to deal with are the lamp bases inside. The holder and slots for the lamp base pins are crudely cast, and there isn't much retention pressure from the spring contacts. The lamps can (and will) vibrate right out, and will quickly puliverize themselves, the pic speaks for itself. A very heavy coating of dielectric grease may help, even at relatively high ambient temps, it seems to keep its viscosity, it might help the cushion and retain the lamp bases a bit (and, will definately help keep the contacts from oxidizing):

Also, there is a metal light shield in the front running lamp/turn signal housing. I think it may be riveted in place. Reinforce it somehow if you can, mine broke off its plastic mounting bosses and trashed both bulbs from rattling around inside.

Basic operating manual is, look at how everything is affixed and fastened, especially things like jerry cans, auxiliary lights, your pannier mounts, etc. Make every attachment as vibration-proof and secure as you can, there's plenty of washboard on the Haul Road too!

Keep those updates coming!
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #35
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Oh my goodness!!! Now that IS a pretty rig...

You are one talented individual...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #36
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Beautiful!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #37
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Hey Abenteuerfahrer -

Great post about your work in process! Obviously, conspiscuity is NOT going to be an issue with your color scheme !

Seeing those pics of your fender causes me to do some "sharing" with you.

Watchning my fender shaking on the washboard along Ruta 40, I was amazed at how much "movement" there was, enough to start a fracture along the inside fender just a few hundreds klicks into the trip:

I see from your pics that Dauntless added a rear fender brace, very cool. I sent Jay some pics of my fender's fracture, apparently, he does listen to feedback from the field, and improves product with every rig he builds!:

However, all the mounting fasteners came loose on my fender, even though most had rubber washers for shock isolation stacked under flat washers on both sides of the fender itself. Word of advice, Loctite EVERYTHING, and don't be stingy with the use of Nylock nuts wherever you can!

Also, those Russian running and turn/tail light housings don't take well to washboard. All of those fasterners came loose (including everything holding the bits together inside), and the plastic used in the lenses is very brittle. Even though I Loctited everything, and did a constant Bolt Patrol (checking the tightness of all externally accessible fasteners), these lamp housings came apart, and electrical and Gorilla tape were the only fasteners that held things together:

A tougher issue to deal with are the lamp bases inside. The holder and slots for the lamp base pins are crudely cast, and there isn't much retention pressure from the spring contacts. The lamps can (and will) vibrate right out, and will quickly puliverize themselves, the pic speaks for itself. A very heavy coating of dielectric grease may help, even at relatively high ambient temps, it seems to keep its viscosity, it might help the cushion and retain the lamp bases a bit (and, will definately help keep the contacts from oxidizing):

Also, there is a metal light shield in the front running lamp/turn signal housing. I think it may be riveted in place. Reinforce it somehow if you can, mine broke off its plastic mounting bosses and trashed both bulbs from rattling around inside.

Basic operating manual is, look at how everything is affixed and fastened, especially things like jerry cans, auxiliary lights, your pannier mounts, etc. Make every attachment as vibration-proof and secure as you can, there's plenty of washboard on the Haul Road too!

Keep those updates coming!
Thanks MIKEPA...for your input of what damage the rattle-roads can do to Ruskie appendages. When I ordered the URAL lights and housing I thought these came from WWII. I also think that you have the Ruskie fender while mines a M72D fiberglass cloth impregnated in resin..(epoxy or polyester); quite a bit stronger than the URAL tupperwares. Regardless I'll try to use 1/4" thick semi hard rubber washers instead on the fender fasteners and of course all nuts are of the of the nylock types. I might give the lenses a epoxy clear coating inside and out..might defer brittleness?? Maybe also change these Ruskie bulbs with BMW OEM ones???

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 06:28 PM
Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #38
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Maybe also change these Ruskie bulbs with BMW OEM ones???
Unfortunately, those aren't Russkie bulbs, they came from my BMW spares kit! I think everyone else has put the Russians out of the light bulb business (and pretty much everything else except for vodka, vacuum tubes, military hardware, and Urals).

Q: What's the most valuable thing you can own in Russia?

A: A burnt out light bulb (so you can swap it for a good Chinese-manufactured one from a motel room).

My front light housing took a couple of good rock hits, I'm thinking of maybe applying some of that thick-film, adhesive backed headlight protector stuff you can buy in sheet form. I'm also asksing Jay to find some alternative light assemblies to replace the Russian ones. On other rigs, I know he's installed both Hella and Acerbis units
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #39
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Another day of progress....

Final coats of Monza Red were applied inspite of the rains outside..(used 2 ceramic heaters in the garage to reduce humidity)...

Next applicaton will be about 2-3 clear coats to protect the paint from being buffed out...

Sorry about the fuzzy picture.....

Old 03-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
brosanc
WormGuy

She's a beaut !

Great looking hack ! Looking forward to coming down to see it soon ! Any word on the status of the subframe ?
B
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #41
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Now that is a real eye-popper there!!!

BTW---I just thought of something. Do not clear coat the logos. It is too smooth and shiny for the clear to stick and if it sticks---the clear will look yellow and /or becomes yellow sitting over shiny chrome.

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #42
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

BROSANC....

Latest is that my subframe has been designed, tooled off and almost finished being built.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #43
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Some Updates...

Here are a few pictures of progress being made on the sidecar "Ingrid". Motorcycle is done! Finished clear coating the entire tub... undercoated(rubberized compound) the Tub as well. Mounted and tested the IPF lights; power to accessories, etc..all systems go!

As for now Ingrid is still severed at the hip....am still waiting for the modified subframe. Should arrive anytime..... ......?????

STEINSCHLAGSCHUTZWAND....aka,.... Bra

The new Brunhilde

Yet to be married to the Hip...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 07:40 AM
Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #44
brosanc
WormGuy

That just keeps gettin purdier

I'm sorry you ae still waiting to get your subframe ! But you sure didn't waste your time while waiting ! WOW, what a cool looking unit ! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person ! Still planning on dropping by the first weekend in May !
B
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #45
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Here are a few pictures of progress being made on the sidecar "Ingrid". Motorcycle is done!

I suppose you're an introvert

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote