User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #91
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Cool2 She's done;....final shoot

First and foremost I would like to thank those who have been helpful being vocal and supportive....this goes greatly to Mikepa, Claude, Litewait, Ihop, Beemerchef, RedMenace and of course Jay Giese of Dauntless Motors. Also to many others I thank them in helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding sidecars. You all surely are a fine group.

INGRID IS DONE

Only a few minor things need to be done: cover for the electrical cables that cross to the sidecar; cover for some of the frames; etc.

Here she is...........

Cheers......see you on the road.....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #92
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Move over Hummer! Abenteuerfehrer with a BEAUTY! Ride under sun and moon! Love the colors. Yours can qualify for off road soap box derby!! Wayyy Goooo! See you on the road! Good work! ENJOY!!!!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #93
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 704
Beautiful!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #94
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
Very Cool !

Great looking unit Elmer ! I look forward to seeing you ( I mean the SC) on the road. BTW, I will be in your neighborhood on my new sidecar Saturday May 8. I will pm you with details, would like to get together if possible !

brian
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #95
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,492
Thumb

woot!
Now go mess her hair up some!

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #96
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Hi all...thanks for the compliments.

I might return and give you another step-by-step picture instruction if I decide to install this very $$$$ precision machined gizmo.

The Trail Reducer....

Jay also provides a tool for removing the b-i-g... 46mm Telelever ball joint screw/nut....aarrgggg!!!! Brute strength with torch like heat required to remove this thingy..aarrggghhhhh...Next time.

So far I have traveled a bit without it and don't mind the heavy steering when turning..builds upper chest muscles and expands my bicepts..BUT do I want to do that for 15,000 miles?? As I have read it's like powersteering(60% improvement)...supposed to lessen some of the slow speed shakes; less abrupt sensitive steering at higher speeds! So what do you all think..must have?? Must do...

Cheers...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #97
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wow, wow! What a beaut with those colors!

What remains to be seen is seeing the frau sitting in the tub. Has she ridden it yet?

I read the whole dialogue among your gents trying to figger out obstacles that stood in the way and the progress the abenteuerfahrer achieved!

What is the ETD?

Would love to ride down to inspect in live and to give your guys the proper sendoff for the northern frontier! Mebbe I can arrange a posse to do that?
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #98
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi all...thanks for the compliments.

I might return and give you another step-by-step picture instruction if I decide to install this very $$$$ precision machined gizmo.

The Trail Reducer....

So far I have traveled a bit without it and don't mind the heavy steering when turning..builds upper chest muscles and expands my bicepts..BUT do I want to do that for 15,000 miles?? As I have read it's like powersteering(60% improvement)...supposed to lessen some of the slow speed shakes; less abrupt sensitive steering at higher speeds! So what do you all think..must have?? Must do...

Cheers...
Hola 'Fahrer -

Echoing others, way cool rig, a real testament to your vision, not inconsiderable skills as a painter, fabricator and general-purpose wrench. Good on ya'!

If you follow-through on the ride to Dead Horse, make sure you plan on a layover in the Seattle area, we'll keep the lights on for you.

Having never driven a rig without a trail reducer, I can't comment to not having one. Theoretically, installing one may increase low-speed head shake, but you may find the reduced overall steering effort a big plus. Hit some twisty roads with your lovely bride and all your gear in the tub (I'm doing California 299, 36, 96 and 3 as I send this reply) and you'll find you may have a handful.

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #99
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymiler
Wow, wow! What a beaut with those colors!

What remains to be seen is seeing the frau sitting in the tub. Has she ridden it yet?

I read the whole dialogue among your gents trying to figger out obstacles that stood in the way and the progress the abenteuerfahrer achieved!

What is the ETD?

Would love to ride down to inspect in live and to give your guys the proper sendoff for the northern frontier! Mebbe I can arrange a posse to do that?
Ah..Pennymiler...good to hear from you. Oh, Ja..die Gespannfrau likes it, gravel, dirt, mud, sand and alllllllll.

ETD should be sometime end of May or beginning first week of June, however I do have plan "B"(great white Eastern North..again..!) if things don't materialize with plan "A". Before leaving for either plan "A" or "B" I might come up north for a good fully laden shakedown. Then you guys can gawk at this Gespann.

Cheers.....
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #100
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Installed the Trail Reducer...

Hi all...

After 500+ miles with the OEM fork bridge. Steering was of no concern on straightways but constant dodging of twisties, dirt roads, sand..gravel was something left to be desired. After about 300 miles I could feel the tension in my biceps and chest muscles. Good workout for those who don't mind and after 15,000 miles one might have the chest and arms of Arnold Schwarzenegger.. SO, I decided to try the $$$$ Dauntless fork bridge (trail reducer).

Jacked up Bike using sub-frame as jacking point
Removed the brake calipers on both sides.
Removed wheel
Removed splash fender

Removed upper Hex nuts atop stanchion

Remove top nut of Telelever ball joint

Unclamp 4 bolts holding fork bridge to fork tube.
Twist and slide out Tube downwards

Now I apologize that I totally forgot to resume taking pictures of the process in removing and adding the rest..

Removing the 46 mm ball joint was a no go in a simple garage, even with the tool provided by Dauntless. It was simply afixed to the fork brace like it was welded shut. Had to hunt for large shop that serves trucks. Found one who was willing to remove the ball joint using an impact compressed air wrench. It took about 260 nm to remove it. Transferred the ball joint to the new brace and fastened it down with red locktite. Hand wrestled it to 200+ nm...?????

OEM Fork Bridge(left)...new Dauntless Fork Bridge(trail reducer) on right
Notice the 2.5" further back ball joint hole..

Reversed the entire set up and this is how it looks with the new trail reducer..

Then came the bleeding of the front brakes. The 2005 1200GS came with ABS/servo brakes and the bleeding is supposed to be done with a BMW's computerized diagnostic system, however, we found it to be really easy to bleed the front brakes via a simple set up. It was once described here on ADVrider but cannot track it at this time. Everything was put back and tightened, that means the wheel and brakes as well. Fork bridge clamps were fastened last when the bike was firmly planted on the ground.

Also again got carried away and forgot to take pictures of the entire procedure..sorry...but here is the basic procedure.

Fuel tank was removed.
The front wheel circuit reservoir..front primary circuit was located and traced to the front brakes. (BMW CD DVD)
A filling adapter funnel (happen to have a BMW OEM funnel with screw on rigid hose that was screwed directly on the front wheel filling reservoir). You can make your own using O-ring as a seal.

Start with one brake caliper at a time.
Attach clear hose to the chosen side bleed screw....
fill the funnel with brake fluid.....
crack open the bleed screw....
turn bike power on.
You will immediately notice that the servos are pumping the fluid thru the front system; watch for air coming out of the clear hose and close bleed screw when no more air is visible.
Shut off bike.
Do the same for the next brake caliper.

MONITOR BRAKE FLUID LEVEL IN FUNNEL. Better to fill it up good.

Then do the bleeding routine one more time for both calipers..total 4 times.

With the servos pumping the fliud for you I'd say its even easier than bleeding normal brakes.

Conclusion Test ride:

Rode all over town; to my favorite coffe shop...; light traffic...heavy traffic...dirt roads...Interstates...PARKIng Lots..

Really this is an awakening. Steering is so light,,about 60% less effort. I can do rain dances on the parking lot..going in tight circles without effort...she steers straight on the Interstates...is way too easy to steer on the offroads. All this because I raked my forks..:a la chopper:. Yes, I must admit the front end did drop a bit. Corrected it by adding some pre-load to the front shock springs. Other than that she's a pleasure to ride...oh, man Car be gone??? Wooooo...Thanks Mikepa for insisting I try

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 02:31 PM
Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #101
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Dauntless meets C Stanley Motorsports..

Had the pleasure of meeting another Hacker; BROSANC and his lady. He just retrieved his new Tub from Claude in PA and has since ridden 700+ miles. We both are still tinkering with ride details: toe-ins; lean-to; trail reducing, etc. Great bike and great Tub. Kudos to Claude. I noticed that BROSNAC's sidecar shock set up is much firmer than mine.

Here comes BROSANC and passenger..

Cool rig...cool couple: note the Stroker wheel..

Discussing Tubology....

Tubology 101

Dauntless n' C Stanley got along fine...

NC Hackers....

Our Hackettes....

These Hacks and Hackettes are planning to make an assault on the Great White North come end of May/June.....

Hope to see you guys on the roads less traveled....Cheers

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-10-2009 at 11:55 AM
Old 05-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #102
brockoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Just a technical note:
You haven't raked your forks, choppers rake the head tubes and thus the trail is retained. You have reduced your trail by installing the new trees, as does EZ steer, Steerite, Leverite, Leading Legs, etc. To reduce the twitchiness offroad and for a better feel on road I would strongly suggest a steering damper be fitted at the correct angle as to not produce bump steer. It won't really make the steering any heavier at highway speeds, just provide a bit of stability. Parking lot speed effort is increased slightly but with the reduction in trail it will be a welcome addition. Have fun.
-Brock Smith
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #103
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
Hack & Hackettes

Wow, Elmer these pictures made around the world before I even rode home ! Great meeting you folks we really enjoyed meeting you and Sharon ! We look forward to doing some riding and camping with you soon. Maybe next weekend in Black Mtn. Hope to cross paths in Alaska too ! Thanks for the quick class on posting pics on adv. I will get around to it soon.
Keep safe
Brian & Ellie
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #104
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockoli
Just a technical note:
You haven't raked your forks, choppers rake the head tubes and thus the trail is retained. You have reduced your trail by installing the new trees, as does EZ steer, Steerite, Leverite, Leading Legs, etc. To reduce the twitchiness offroad and for a better feel on road I would strongly suggest a steering damper be fitted at the correct angle as to not produce bump steer. It won't really make the steering any heavier at highway speeds, just provide a bit of stability. Parking lot speed effort is increased slightly but with the reduction in trail it will be a welcome addition. Have fun.
-Brock Smith
Thanks BROCKOLI for the clarification of the "rake" and damper suggestion...but how does one attach and where a steering damper. I am a total greenhorn regarding these appendages. I have a 2005 1200GS. Ain't got much room between the legs(forks) so to speak..!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 02:51 PM
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #105
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Really, you the Abenteuerfahrers and the Brosancs make yourselves pretty unique in stylish pairs. Cannot be missed on the road!!!!
Spinach Power!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote