Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch
Hows the 11s for occasional 2^ riding?
fine as long as the passenger is not too large. There are kits to lower both front and rear pegs.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
I have seen 1200GSAs carve up sportsbikes on twisty roads, especially if the road surface is less than perfect.
My BCR is magic on a twisty road, as good, if not better than anything else I have ridden in the last 10 years.
Anything that can put a smile on your face as wide as the moon everytime you ride it must be good.
As for being cheap, not in Australia. Only 31 in total came here in 3 years, 03/04/05. 17-18K will get you a 10000m/16000klm bike.
Mine is a Dec04 model which means its an 04, not an 05. Only one 05 plated BCR came to Australia.
I agree totally with the looks. I can just sit and look at mine for hours, its a beautiful thing to behold.

And here it is:

Interesting Bigem

The US BCRs were Randy Mamola white & blue bikes in 03 & 04. Those years there were only 300 made (not certain if that is US or world wide) they all have a badge on the upper triple clamp that states xxx/300. In 03 & 04 you could get ABS & heated grips as options. The 03 & 04 bikes have mirrors mounted on the fairings where those carbon fiber plugs are on yours.

Our last year for BCR was 05. These were the only Red White & Blue versions we got. They are not badged. I have heard they made as many as 1500 & as few as 300. I have no idea. Since it was the last of a model I assume they were going to make as many as they could sell & not make it limited. The 05s were not available with ABS or heated grips. Our 05s also had the handlebar mounted mirrors like yours.

People tend to like the 03 & 04 white & blue models more so here than the 05s. Most people that buy BMWs in the states want ABS. I think the 05s value was hurt because of this.

Here is mine.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
That just might be the most beautiful bike BMW ever made.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Here is mine.

That thing doesn't even look ridden....LOL
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #20
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20
Any input one way or the other would be great, thanks!
As for VFR's and S's I have owned a 94 VFR, a 99 R1100S and a 2005 VFR. The VFR and the S are similar yet very different bikes. The Boxer motor is an acquired taste, I owned three different versions of the boxers. The 1100s series has a number of well known big mechanical issues. Many bikes don't have these issues, some do, my S had them all. Go to the Pelican Parts forum and you can learn a lot from a group of folks who really love the S series.

It is a fun bike for big sweepers; it is slow and cumbersome in tight stuff and slow speeds. Its looks are to die for. It has very very limited fuel range. The hard bags are nice but monster wide in the S series due to the under seat cans. General maintenance is a snap compared to any version VFR. Every S needs front and rear shock upgrades within 20K miles if you plan on any real cornering with it. It has a great bunch of after market support.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
That thing doesn't even look ridden....LOL

It only had about 10 miles on it then. Look at the size of those chickenstrips!

I just checked, it has 2,489 on it right now.

It's almost 4 years old. I better be careful or I'll wear it out!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #22
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Interesting Bigem

The US BCRs were Randy Mamola white & blue bikes in 03 & 04. Those years there were only 300 made (not certain if that is US or world wide) they all have a badge on the upper triple clamp that states xxx/300. In 03 & 04 you could get ABS & heated grips as options. The 03 & 04 bikes have mirrors mounted on the fairings where those carbon fiber plugs are on yours.

Our last year for BCR was 05. These were the only Red White & Blue versions we got. They are not badged. I have heard they made as many as 1500 & as few as 300. I have no idea. Since it was the last of a model I assume they were going to make as many as they could sell & not make it limited. The 05s were not available with ABS or heated grips. Our 05s also had the handlebar mounted mirrors like yours.

People tend to like the 03 & 04 white & blue models more so here than the 05s. Most people that buy BMWs in the states want ABS. I think the 05s value was hurt because of this.

Here is mine.

Its funny how BMW marketed the BCRs around the world SCQTT. Mine is an 04 which is the same as your 05, it doesn't have ABS or heated grips which suits me just fine as the "conventional" brakes are fabulous.

I am not a fan of ABS, and when I placed the order for my F800GS I did so without ABS. I have ridden a friends F8 with ABS and was not overly impressed.

There are a small number of 03 Mamola reps here in Australia but do not seem as sought after as the 04s. That may have more to do with Randy's relative obscurity here in Australia as we didn't start getting 500GP telecasts until 1989 when Wayne Gardner was winning.

Mine has about 17000klm on it now as I do ride it, but most is in 200-400 klm day trips with lots of winding roads and I have no trouble mixing it with GXers and RSVRs etc.

I will not be selling the bike, its a keeper and its my plan to purchase an HP2 Sport or Megamoto to get my boxer hit from some time down the track.

The BCR is not the fastest, lightest or most fuel efficient bike out there, but thats not why I have it: I love it!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,204
Take the lower cowl off the BCR and set somewhere safe. I recall that the replacement cost from BMW is around $2800.00. Doing a service on one was always a kid gloves process. The cowling had to come off to change the oil and filter. The bike didn't come with a centerstand. The service stand required removing the cowl. As you will notice, the sidestand passes through the cowl. Good times.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #24
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Take the lower cowl off the BCR and set somewhere safe. I recall that the replacement cost from BMW is around $2800.00. Doing a service on one was always a kid gloves process. The cowling had to come off to change the oil and filter. The bike didn't come with a centerstand. The service stand required removing the cowl. As you will notice, the sidestand passes through the cowl. Good times.
Anorak, I have a Wunderlich race stand($270 AUD) which lifts through the swingarm pivot. Makes working on the bike very very easy and removing the lower cowl is a cinch.
Worst servicing feature is battery removal!! BMW put the battery on a box in the middle of the floor and built the motorcycle around it!! Its a bastard to get too.
Still love it though!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #25
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
In 2003 in the US they brought in 200 units.
2007 Guzzi Cali Vintage (skunk seat)
2001 Porsche 911 (Speed Yellow)
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
krispy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Wish I had kept my 05 BCR, you guys are killing me....
krispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #27
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
SCQTT... Beautiful Replika.

sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #28
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
The 1100s series has a number of well known big mechanical issues. Many bikes don't have these issues, some do, my S had them all. Go to the Pelican Parts forum and you can learn a lot from a group of folks who really love the S series.

It is a fun bike for big sweepers; it is slow and cumbersome in tight stuff and slow speeds.
Interesting - I had an 99 S - yellow, the fastest color, with Staintunes.

What big mech issues - I had no dramas....maybe clutch main seal leak and Paralever rear bearing? (prevalent on all R11*0 series really)

As for slow and cumbersome? I would frequently catch up to my mates on 600's (who were and are not slow) in the tight stuff (signposted 60-80kph, but with "Recommended" 30-40kph), who would then walk away on the straights.

Most confident sportsbike I have ever ridden.

Will get another, absolutely, in a few years time - I have two boxers now and the S is my fave "sports" version of all boxers made so far .

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #29
krispy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell
Interesting - I had an 99 S - yellow, the fastest color, with Staintunes.

What big mech issues - I had no dramas....maybe clutch main seal leak and Paralever rear bearing? (prevalent on all R11*0 series really)

As for slow and cumbersome? I would frequently catch up to my mates on 600's (who were and are not slow) in the tight stuff (signposted 60-80kph, but with "Recommended" 30-40kph), who would then walk away on the straights.

Most confident sportsbike I have ever ridden.

Will get another, absolutely, in a few years time - I have two boxers now and the S is my fave "sports" version of all boxers made so far .
Have to agree I could drive my 05 BCR into corners harder than any other bike I have owned.
krispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,778
The ugly of S ownership.

Problems with the S aren't common. Many have small issues, but nothing to really avoid buying the bike for. It's not like they need a spare Reg/Rect to be along at all times.

Surging. Basically a sign that you need to adjust the valves and/or synch the throttle bodies.

Well there's a clutch spline issue that seems to be a small but well-inflicted rash of '00 and '01 models, with a few here and there of other years. Basically the clutch spline on the trans is not hardened well enough from the factory or not enough lube was added to the input shaft(Monday bikes?) and they are known to strip without relubing them properly.

Quite uncommon for any of them, but the issue does exist.

Main bearing seals do leak, but rarely are they a threat other than aesthetics.

Final drive failures, again, happen, but aren't common. I had one fail on me 800 miles from home. I think the previous owner lied about changing the oil in it, or didn't top it off. If they aren't full, the main bearing isn't getting proper lube. When you roll for hours on end and that bearing doesn't get cooled, it doesn't stay happy. I found an Ebay replacement of similar mileage for under $200 and plugged it on.

A couple issues with crashability:
The tubular aluminum weldment that is the front subframe. It holds the plastic, headlight, turnsignals, windshield, and most of the electronics in place. A masterful feat for one part. You pay the price if it gets bent in a crash. Most lowsides aren't enough to over-tip past the heads. But when that nose gets bent, you're likely looking at a total as far as insurance is concerned. Granted, this is true of a lot of large touring bikes. It just sort of sucks in comparison to something with a more rigid or more cheaply manufactured part.

The rear subframe tabs, both upper and lower, are really susceptible to cracking off in the event of a lowside with the saddlebags mounted. There are ways to fix these, but they aren't simple DIY jobs, unless you have a TIG in your shop.

The front fenders are also brittle and I doubt many still around are without spider cracks.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote