Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #61
Bandito440
n00b

Oddometer: 4
New Toy

Just picked up an '04. My first boxer!

Now, it's time to accessorize. I'm on the search for some luggage, which isn't proving too difficult. I'll also be getting a lowering kit for the pegs.

One reason I got such a good deal is that the previous owner had a couple of driveway tip-overs and both valve covers have road rash. I'll eventually replace them once I'm confident enough that I won't do the same. Does anyone know of a company that makes engine guards/crash bars for the S? I've found them for every other model except.

Thanks much.
Bandito440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #62
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito440
Does anyone know of a company that makes engine guards/crash bars for the S?
This is what I have.

A&S Link

There are al$o the$e.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #63
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Just picked up an '04. My first boxer!
You will find lots of info for the R1100S at Pelican Parts.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #64
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
SBSP those black wheels really look good.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #65
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,380
I LOVE the BCR bikes. I got to ride a R1150R for a few weeks, and it was a neat bike. The BCR paint is what does it for me. Very nice!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #66
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I like the paint too, very dramatic. I do wish it had the performance to back up the look.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #67
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I like the paint too, very dramatic. I do wish it had the performance to back up the look.
SUPERCHARGER!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #68
Bandito440
n00b

Oddometer: 4
[quote=Hoots Magoon]This is what I have.

Thanks, and I did search the Pelican forums too. I was thinking of the guards that are more of a tubular frame around the engine. I've found them for every other model, but not the S. Dang.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/412/246/

That's kinda what I had in mind.

Bandito440 screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 08:40 AM
Bandito440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #69
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Picked this one up in June. 2002 13K miles $5K.

Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #70
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,900
They're vastly under rated.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #71
Murcielago
North of the Border

Oddometer: 13
Love my R1100S/BCR

I love my R1100S/BCR; it rocks!

Good points:
Brakes - Amazing stopping power, and the linked front/rear is really handy. Make sure no one is too close behind!
Torquey Engine. The boxer has nice torque from low revs to the limit. It's great when riding a twisty country road, you can get away without shifting a lot.
Heated hand grips. I live in Boston and like to ride in cold weather. This makes all the difference.
Ergos - I can comfortably ride all day long. Am 6'0" with 34" inseam. Bike doesn't feel cramped.
Handling - this thing is very precise. Suspension can be adjusted for firmer or softer. I only weigh about 165, so I keep it on the softest setting. The ride is firm.
Looks - This bike is stunning. People compliment me on it wherever I go.

Bad Aspects:
Fuel tank: Holds about 3.5 or so gallons. I'm a bit of a "lead-foot" so I get about 38 MPG, though this could improve. I just hit the 10K mile mark. The small tank means I can only go about 140 miles on a tank full. This is the worst aspect of this bike. Instead of creating this massive plastic fairing and hiding the tank underneath, BMW should have designed the tank to be painted metal, and they probably would have been able to squeeze in a gallon or two more. There's a ton of wasted space right in front of the tank.

Well, I wanted to upload a picture, but despite meeting size, pixel dimension, and type regulations, I keep getting an "upload failed" message.

P.S. Those lovely carbon fiber valve covers are *INSANELY* expensive, about $550 each. Don't tip over that bike!

Murcielago screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 05:49 PM
Murcielago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #72
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielago
I love my R1100S/BCR; it rocks!

Good points:
Brakes - Amazing stopping power, and the linked front/rear is really handy. Make sure no one is too close behind!
Torquey Engine. The boxer has nice torque from low revs to the limit. It's great when riding a twisty country road, you can get away without shifting a lot.
Heated hand grips. I live in Boston and like to ride in cold weather. This makes all the difference.
Ergos - I can comfortably ride all day long. Am 6'0" with 34" inseam. Bike doesn't feel cramped.
Handling - this thing is very precise. Suspension can be adjusted for firmer or softer. I only weigh about 165, so I keep it on the softest setting. The ride is firm.
Looks - This bike is stunning. People compliment me on it wherever I go.

Bad Aspects:
Fuel tank: Holds about 3.5 or so gallons. I'm a bit of a "lead-foot" so I get about 38 MPG, though this could improve. I just hit the 10K mile mark. The small tank means I can only go about 140 miles on a tank full. This is the worst aspect of this bike. Instead of creating this massive plastic fairing and hiding the tank underneath, BMW should have designed the tank to be painted metal, and they probably would have been able to squeeze in a gallon or two more. There's a ton of wasted space right in front of the tank.

Well, I wanted to upload a picture, but despite meeting size, pixel dimension, and type regulations, I keep getting an "upload failed" message.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Kim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
Email it to me. I'll put it up on my server. Send me a pm.

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #73
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielago
Fuel tank: Holds about 3.5 or so gallons.
Spec'ed capacity is 4.8 and I've gotten 4.6 into mine. If you drill out the filler neck, you can squeeze another 0.2 to 0.3 in but you need to gotten rid of the emissions canister.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #74
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Does anyone know of a company that makes engine guards/crash bars for the S?

The Aluminium Touratech engine cover guards for one of the GS models fits straight on as the engine is the same so the mount points are in the same place - that is what I had on mine after I destroyed one of the plastic BMW ones and still marked the cylinder heads - the plastic ones will really only save you from a 0mph embarassing moment

They are a bit angular looking and I will see if I can find a photo - don't own the bike any longer so can't just go out and look.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #75
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Touratech GS Guards on an R1100S

Sorry I can't remember if these were for an R1150GS or an R1100GS and these are the only photos I have.

I vaguely remember they had an adaptor plate for the twin spark models so I think 1 part number will fit the single and twin spark GS and S models. BTW mine was a twin spark. I also remember that the mount bolt underneath the cylinder on one of the sides was a tad fiddly to get at with the tools I owned. The other side was easier for some reason. The inside edges do have some small rubber pads that rest against the rocker covers.

As I never let the R1100S have a rest on it's side after I fitted them (it rested once at 0mph with no guards and once at 40mph with the BMW plastic ones) I have no idea how effective those plates may or may not be.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote