Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
MiniMan85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Bluhduh KTM 690 Enduro - Did I make a mistake?

So here I am, maybe a couple months and 2000 KM into ownership on a brand new 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R. Let me preface this by saying I really do like the 690. The designer really got this bike right, IMHO. It's arguably the best of the "650 class" bikes and it shows. I've already taken it on some amazing adventures and I love how I can go for a ride with the F800GS guys and the slower dirt bike guys while having fun shredding the asphalt all the way to the trail head.

All that said, in the last 2 weeks I've had a multitude of problems:
  1. Melted the back left turn signal.
  2. Had one of the heat shields fall off on the highway, leading to a hole being burnt through a set of $750 Klim pants.
  3. Currently have a problem where the bike won't start without cycling the ignition.
  4. Currently have a problem with the bike stalling when clutching in during decel, or sitting their at idle. Combine this with a very rough idle (that used to be buttery smooth).
  5. Combine the last two and you've got a bike that stalls while decelerating in traffic and then won't restart without taking a hand off the bars to cycle the key a few times while you cross your toes.

Both the KTM dealership in Kelowna and the KTM dealership in Lethbridge seem to be booking 1+ week out to have a look at it. The warranty seems like a joke too. The dealerships are saying the heat shield that fell off on the highway (and subsequently got crushed by traffic) when I was around ~1500 KM may or may not be covered under warranty, same with the turn signal. I had to pay in advance with a *chance* at being reimbursed by KTM if they approved it in 2-6 weeks (but can also take up to 6 months, says the dealer). Icing on the cake was paying $35 additional to get the heat shield here in 3-4 business days - which KTM doesn't reimburse.

During this time, my friends with their two 2014 F800GS' have had exactly zero problems, aside from having to replace their front wheels with aftermarket setups (covered under an inexpensive insurance the dealership sold them). The dealership they bought from replaced both wheels and tires without question. So what's with KTM's shit service?
MiniMan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
2whlin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20

Well, bolts do come loose and I've been a bike owner long enough to know that you need to put a wrench on ALL of them from time to time. New or not.
The brake light melting, stock exhaust? I'm surprised KTM put a muffler on that still has contact with the blinker? It's a problem on several of there dual sport models, like my 350 EXC. As far as running rough, maybe you had a bout of bad fuel, or your fuel filter needs changing? I'd check the normal maintenance items, like fuel filters, air filters or a pinch in your fuel tank breather tube, things that are easy to check and can cause bikes to run rough? Why do people expect mechanical things to be perfect? Their mechanical and put together by man, enough said.
2whlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,464
Has the bike been de-smogged ?? If not, have all that removed. Plus the bike is so leaned out to pass emmissions, it needs a different FI map to richen it up. Most guys replace the exhaust for a freer flowing one, wont be as choked up as the factory exhaust and wont produce as much heat. Does your bike still have the paper element air filter ?? Replace that immediately for a foam one ghst you can clean.

All your issues are known issues that are easily resolved. All you have to do is read.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Has the bike been de-smogged ?? If not, have all that removed. Plus the bike is so leaned out to pass emmissions, it needs a different FI map to richen it up. Most guys replace the exhaust for a freer flowing one, wont be as choked up as the factory exhaust and wont produce as much heat. Does your bike still have the paper element air filter ?? Replace that immediately for a foam one ghst you can clean.

All your issues are known issues that are easily resolved. All you have to do is read.
OP, seems like you just need to spend a bunch more money and you'll be all set.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Re-torque your rear brake foot lever before that falls off too - common issue.

All your rants are common KTM annoyances that you have to work through.

Get a Wings exhaust slip-on and remove the SAS emissions crap and you will be happy.

You made a good choice with the 690, just stick with it and you will be rewarded with many smiles and miles of adventure.
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I don't have much to offer, but my stalling stopped after doing the motor-off, key on, slow twist of the throttle to the stop and back.

I've never had a problem with my exhaust, but my son raced a KTM 350 EXC-F in the 2012 Mexican 1000. He has a small Giant Loop bag strapped to the back to carry spares and emergency stuff. The Giant Loop disrupted the air flow around his exhaust can and it melted the turn signal right off during the very first stage.

As a side bar, I found mine too buzzy between 67-73 mph. Very annoying. It improved by 4k miles, but still annoyed me. Then I rode it 2000 miles on the superslab over 4 days running 75-80. That made a huge improvement in the smoothness of the motor.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
MiniMan

As previously mentioned...all issues you mentioned are well documented with fixes both on this forum, other forums and web sites.

Fasteners...
I have owned KTM (waiting for my 2015 690ER) for years and presently have a G650GS SERTAO (son's) and a R1200GSA-OC in the garage. Before any multi-day or long day ride, every fastner is checked for tightness. Just part of owning a motorcycle. Any vibration WILL cause things to loosen!

Every brand new motorcycle I take possession of gets checked out (I don't trust the dealership to properly setup MY motorcycle). Fasteners get Blue LOCTITE and torqued (excluding motor or tranny). The dealer setup fee is a "profit center" not a "cost center". So don't expect the dealership to do much other than uncrate and perform a KTM/BMW/[insert make here] delivery checklist on a new motorcycle.

roadrider18 screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 07:49 AM
roadrider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,740
On a new bike-go from stem to stern starting with a 6mm socket/wrench, remove, apply a suitable thread locker and reassemble to factory torque settings every single nut and bolt you can access. Then do it with the 8mm, the 10mm, etc, etc. Do it once and you'll never have loosening issues-until you take a wrench to the bike.

Dirty
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,366
gotta hold your mouth just so & say the proper prayers
woo-wee these bikes is the tits
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Hardly.

My dealer remapped my FI for free. You can remove all the smog crap for free. And an air filter is like $30 for a Uni. Exhaust is something that most replace on any dirt bike anyways and a matter of taste as to if you want to replace. Mine came with a Leo Vince, so i consider that to be Free
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,427
The fueling on my '14 is absolutely perfect, and many other '14 owners have also confirmed the same. Engine runs exceptionally well. Other models years have had fuel/air issues straight from the factory.

Have you done any airbox and/or exhaust mods? Any chance you might have gotten some bad gas? Did you perhaps get some mud/dirt in the fuel tank? You are running high-octane (91 or better) with no ethanol fuel, right?

There is no SAS on the 2014, but there is a charcoal canister and some associated plumbing that can be removed. I haven't bothered to do it on mine yet.

Oh, one thing to check is all the ground connections in the electrical system. Some people have reported loose connections.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,994
The fuel pump can be deceiving, mine is a 2010 that came with a bad pump out of the box. Tried everything and then changed the pump to a Ca. Cycle Pump and bingo!! For 130 bones the bike was transformed!

I am running the closed course Euro map with a FMF full system, full canerectimy. I have just under 10k on this bike and it rocks!!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
MiniMan85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:

The purchase was well researched ahead of time. Don't forget, this is the 6th year of production for this bike and most of those older issues have been resolved. To answer your questions though, engine/tune/smog wise, the bike is exactly as it rolled off the showroom floor. I have a Uni foam filter waiting to go in as soon as the 2nd paper filter gets dirty. As mentioned previously though, the bike didn't have any running issues ~500 KM ago on this exact same setup. IMO, the 2014 isn't known to have tune nor fuel pump issues as confirmed by many 2014 owners on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
My sentiments precisely. I just dropped over $12k on the bike, not including a couple grand in farkles. I could see these issues if I bought a used 2010, but 2000 KM on a freshly PDI'd and then freshly serviced (1000 k service) 2014 bike? Seems bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
The fueling on my '14 is absolutely perfect, and many other '14 owners have also confirmed the same. Engine runs exceptionally well. Other models years have had fuel/air issues straight from the factory.

Have you done any airbox and/or exhaust mods? Any chance you might have gotten some bad gas? Did you perhaps get some mud/dirt in the fuel tank? You are running high-octane (91 or better) with no ethanol fuel, right?

There is no SAS on the 2014, but there is a charcoal canister and some associated plumbing that can be removed. I haven't bothered to do it on mine yet.

Oh, one thing to check is all the ground connections in the electrical system. Some people have reported loose connections.
Thanks for sharing the thoughts, Thumpididump. Does yours have any issues with a lump idle leading to stalling? I can't begin to describe how smooth mine was 500k ago.

No airbox/exhaust/performance mods to date. Only farkles are HDB handguards/mirrors/front signals, risers, GPR stabilizer, SeatConcepts seat, KTM touring windscreen, Oxford Adventure heated grips (on the shelf) and a Safari tank (also on the shelf).

The bad gas is always a possibility, although I've run a couple tanks through it since it started happening and when it started happening it was with fuel from the station I always use. No mud or dirt in the tank (yet). Yup, running 91+. I have been on the most aggressive map for the last ~1000 KM, though I'm not sure how that could affect the idle. I'll try going back to the standard or bad gas maps for a tank.

I'll try checking the grounds too. Given that the two issues happened around the same time, I'll make sure all of the main grounds are clean and free of dirt.
MiniMan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Seeing as you "researched" the bike, then you should known of all its issues prior to purchase then.

All of which are quite petty and very easy to remedy

The bike is very easy to sell due to its high demand. I recommend selling it, buying a BMW 800, and find something else to bitch about.

We were here to help you, but apparently you were just looking to complain.

Its a great bike, the fixes are minimal, put on new panties and enjoy the damn thing
Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Seeing as you "researched" the bike, then you should known of all its issues prior to purchase then.

All of which are quite petty and very easy to remedy

The bike is very easy to sell due to its high demand. I recommend selling it, buying a BMW 800, and find something else to bitch about.

We were here to help you, but apparently you were just looking to complain.

Its a great bike, the fixes are minimal, put on new panties and enjoy the damn thing
I'd say he has fair concerns with it running so poorly/not at all or do KTM guys just accept that a brand new bike is gonna run like shit and needs more $ poured in?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 09:02 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote