Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #136
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle
herrhelmet, me like, could you give me more info, what did you do about a speedo, trip meter and oil pressure warning light ?

Cheers
Pete

I use an old Garmin streetpilot with the speaker openings taped, with the power cable soldered to a charger connection plug directly to the battery. I can disconnect it to keep the battery on a float charge in seconds. It has a speedo tripmeter along with the basic navigation. A lot of dirt roads that are named show up too, but also have a Garmin etrex for the trails. I could get the rally instrument bar that plugs directly to the dash info light connector from Touratech, but so far the budget for this mod has been $0. All items found in garage from years of off-roading.

The metal bracket that holds the headlight was from the inside of the trunk behind the seat, which was to support the weight of panniers which I never use. Just a little hand bending and the plate part of it is used to reinforce and connect the fender. Then there are lots of options for headlights or driving lights and also possible removable windscreens. The instrument wiring was taped and run back into the battery box, so only the headlight turn signals, horn are running forward. I made an adjustable support that bolts to the headlight/instrument bracket on the front of the steering tube.

Except for the pencilbeam on the right of the headlight it looks to be pretty survivable in a crash. We will see.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #137
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet

I use an old Garmin streetpilot with the speaker openings taped, with the power cable soldered to a charger connection plug directly to the battery. I can disconnect it to keep the battery on a float charge in seconds. It has a speedo tripmeter along with the basic navigation. A lot of dirt roads that are named show up too, but also have a Garmin etrex for the trails. I could get the rally instrument bar that plugs directly to the dash info light connector from Touratech, but so far the budget for this mod has been $0. All items found in garage from years of off-roading.

The metal bracket that holds the headlight was from the inside of the trunk behind the seat, which was to support the weight of panniers which I never use. Just a little hand bending and the plate part of it is used to reinforce and connect the fender. Then there are lots of options for headlights or driving lights and also possible removable windscreens. The instrument wiring was taped and run back into the battery box, so only the headlight turn signals, horn are running forward. I made an adjustable support that bolts to the headlight/instrument bracket on the front of the steering tube.

Except for the pencilbeam on the right of the headlight it looks to be pretty survivable in a crash. We will see.
Excellent Jimbo! We will have to go get drunk and ride in the desert and test out the crash survivability of the mods.

You know how I think, the less there is, the less there is too pick up
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #138
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
herrhelmet,
That is a very slick set up.

I like the asymmetrical element of the numberplate.

What bike is the numberplate light set up from?

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #139
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
herrhelmet,
That is a very slick set up.

I like the asymmetrical element of the numberplate.

What bike is the numberplate light set up from?

Rad

That's from an '04 Husqvarna tc450 that had it's motor blow up and parted out on ebay a few years back. the only thing left was the numberplate. The high part just works perfectly to cover the gps.

Thanks for the reply.

herrhelmet screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 12:10 PM
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #140
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Excellent Jimbo! We will have to go get drunk and ride in the desert and test out the crash survivability of the mods.

You know how I think, the less there is, the less there is too pick up
I'm a go on that. When's your beast going to be ready?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #141
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I have been looking for a front light setup and all I can find is this sort of thing which straps to the fork legs, so isn't going to give me enough room for one of these
Looks like I need one of the bolt to the front beak jobs but nothing doing over here, any ideas ?

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #142
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle
I have been looking for a front light setup and all I can find is this sort of thing which straps to the fork legs, so isn't going to give me enough room for one of these
Looks like I need one of the bolt to the front beak jobs but nothing doing over here, any ideas ?

Cheers
Pete
Guess the first question is how much room does that need?

There are much cooler headlight setups like this:

http://www.trailtech.net/x2.html

and computers like this that bolt to your triple clamp..

If you want to mount something on the beak, be ready for some re-engineering work...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #143
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
G'day blokes,
I'm selling my 950 Adventure & looking for a 650. I took a couple of bikes for a quick ride this morning, F650 Dakar, 625 SXC and 2 x XL650 Dominator.

The Dakar was first up. How soft is this bike? And I was wondering if it was going to make any power! Sure it was smooth and the seat was comfortable but is that what it is really like? I had the throttle fully to the stop, in top and it fairly crawled past 120km/h (75mph?).
Now, is the seat really comfortable for hours, or is it just soft and then after an hour you find that it has compressed and you've got a sore arse?

The 625 was, as you'd expect, fairly lively. It put both a smile and a frown on my dial. I don't know that I could live with the vibrations.

I was very surprised with the 2 Dominators. The first was a '95, the second a '99. Both nearly as smooth as the BM. Both were much stronger through the midrange than the BM. Both appeared to have the standard twin exhausts. I think the '99 had lowered gearing cause I thought it was much stronger again.

I suppose what I need to know is, is there more horsepower easily and reliably released. I've read through this thread and noone comments much on power. Suspension mods, protective gear, and over-priced TT stuff but nil on effective engine performance.

I was extremely surprised, and quite a deal put off, by the lack of go.

Comments or solutions?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #144
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
G'day blokes,
?
I suppose what I need to know is, is there more horsepower easily and reliably released. I've read through this thread and noone comments much on power. Suspension mods, protective gear, and over-priced TT stuff but nil on effective engine performance.

Comments or solutions?
SCary,
I don's think your going to find it too easy to pump a lot more power out of the F650. The general consensus seems to be that you need to get into cams and fun stuff like that to really pump out some power.

There is a lot of interesting reading in the tech section of F650.com about mods and the stuff people have tried over the years.

I should also comment that coming off a 950, I can imagine how the 650 feels. You may get used to it and appreciate the Rotax smooth reliable operation but I bet to some extent you will always miss the big twin power...I know I do at times. But i still enjoy the F650 a great deal.

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #145
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Wagga Wagga, eh?
My Dakar goes to 100mph. Easy.
And I feel the vibration at the handlebars, when I feel it. Not at the seat.
I used to have a good friend from Wagga Wagga... funny to read it here.
But why would you be selling the 950?
Lion

Quote:
G'day blokes,
I'm selling my 950 Adventure & looking for a 650. I took a couple of bikes for a quick ride this morning, F650 Dakar, 625 SXC and 2 x XL650 Dominator.

The Dakar was first up. How soft is this bike? And I was wondering if it was going to make any power! Sure it was smooth and the seat was comfortable but is that what it is really like? I had the throttle fully to the stop, in top and it fairly crawled past 120km/h (75mph?).
Now, is the seat really comfortable for hours, or is it just soft and then after an hour you find that it has compressed and you've got a sore arse?

The 625 was, as you'd expect, fairly lively. It put both a smile and a frown on my dial. I don't know that I could live with the vibrations.

I was very surprised with the 2 Dominators. The first was a '95, the second a '99. Both nearly as smooth as the BM. Both were much stronger through the midrange than the BM. Both appeared to have the standard twin exhausts. I think the '99 had lowered gearing cause I thought it was much stronger again.

Comments or solutions?
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #146
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
herrhelmet, I didn't think about mounting on the triples, good call, the acewell ( 150 ) unit is about 120mmX80mm so will fit I'm not adverse to a bit of re-engineering, the problem with all the headlight setups i've found that I like are over your side of the pond and cost a small fortune when shipping and tax are added. I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #147
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
I wouldn`t call the F650 a powerhouse & would expect it to feel gutless after a 950 . I`m surprised the Dominators felt faster though as I know mine will beat a TT600 in a drag .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #148
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

As far as the F650 is concerned, it's all about power to weight. They come out the box kind of sluggish IMHO, but if you're game to strip off some extra weight, put on a new pipe, open up the snorkel (all this on f650.com) you add maybe 5 hp to a 50 hp motor. Not a lot when it weights 387 lbs, but 55 hp is pretty good power when it diets down to 340 lbs. Not a Husqvarna TE610, but fast enough.

Add in a bunch of TT stuff and hard case panniers and you have a real slug of a bike.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #149
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
G'day blokes,
I had the throttle fully to the stop, in top and it fairly crawled past 120km/h (75mph?).
75mph?

My Dakar hits 75mph in no time at all in third gear. I cruise most of the time at 85-90. Routinely roll past 100-105 on dirt and street.

The one you were riding has to be a piece of shit.

The Dakar is known for it's smooth running engine and almost no vibration. I have ridden everything in it's class and have never found a bike that comes even close for smoothness, definitely not a Husky, Kawasaki, or KTM. At 80+ they'll all vibrate your arms right out of the socket.

As for the seat, I ride hundreds of miles of dirt in day and find my seat very comfy. I have put over 900miles on my bike in a two day weekend and could easily do more without my arse hurting.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #150
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
75mph?

My Dakar hits 75mph in no time at all in third gear. I cruise most of the time at 85-90. Routinely roll past 100-105 on dirt and street.

The one you were riding has to be a piece of shit.

The Dakar is known for it's smooth running engine and almost no vibration. I have ridden everything in it's class and have never found a bike that comes even close for smoothness, definitely not a Husky, Kawasaki, or KTM. At 80+ they'll all vibrate your arms right out of the socket.

As for the seat, I ride hundreds of miles of dirt in day and find my seat very comfy. I have put over 900miles on my bike in a two day weekend and could easily do more without my arse hurting.
+1 and I know there are a lot of other reasons why your "arse" hurts on weekends.