Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #1486
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
I just changed my oil filter using one of theirs. Bought four. They came with the large crush ring for the drainage bolt, and the large rubber seal for the filter cover. They don't include a new crush ring for the oil tank drain bolt. I am very happy with the filter. Also ordered a couple air filters and a new iridium spark plug too.

Changing the oil was pretty interesting. Something about that first oil change that one does that kinda bonds you to the bike. As the Dakar is my first bike, it probably took a bit longer than usual. But I was in no hurry. Having to loosen the oil tank from the frame in order to get it to totally drain was interesting, as was jumping through the hoops to actually change the oil filter.

I need some help with the oil tank window. After installing the new 2.1 liters of oil, the tank really still looks pretty empty. It certainly doesn't come to the midpoint on the window when the bike is sitting on the center stand. So what's with the "magic eye" thingy? When the oil is at an acceptable level are you supposed to just see that dot of oil in the "eye"? I looked through the service manual and it didn't discuss this very well.

Next question; how do you get the spark plug wire totally free from the old sparkplug. All the manual says is to pull it off. When I did that, a brownish metal cylinder remained affixed to the plug. Hope your not laughing too hard at me, but wtf?

Next week I'll be pulling first the front then the back wheels. Need to replace the tires, change the rear brake pads out, and switch the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 15 tooth version. After that it's the air filter, the new spark plug, and change the radiator fluid.

Final experiment will be to pull everything apart and check the valve clearances. Am I missing anything?

Being an old fart means I don't have to be in a rush for any of this.
I thought it 2,3 ltrs when replacing the filter

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #1487
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Since the engine is a Rotax
On a completely different topic

Anyone ever considered putting an 800 Rotax snowmobile engine in our frame ? I don't even know if it'll fit

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #1488
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

My Touratech IMO needs a new battery. It has needed one for quite some time actually and was pretty much useless this past season. Reason why I hven't just replaced the battery is because it burried in the bottom of the unit underneth the printcard and everthing's solered in place. To top it off they've (from what I hear) used a specially made battery (Thanks for being customer oriented Touratech......)

Since I've used the IMO for many years, like its features (it has afterall 13 pages with different info on it) and have the remote control for it installed I've opted to go for the battery replacement. The whole IMO unit has to be shipped to Germany to have the battery replaced and the total cost is about the same as a Trailtech Vapor.

Anywho, last night I moved about 70 pallets of wood in our warehouse to get my bike out from where it's being stored for the winter.

I thought perhaps some of you would be interested to see what the front of the bike looks like when stripped down so I took some pics with my phone (crappy quality, sorry)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #1489
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
I usually don't change o-rings nor crush washers when changing the oil. I've never had a leak.
ever?

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #1490
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
ever?
Ever what ? Replace the parts or have a leak ?

I've never had a leak from the oil filter o-ring, sump plug crush washer or the oiltank crush washer.

I did change the parts in the beginning, but haven't the last few years. Will probably change them next time though as they are getting a bit worn, but I don't see the point in changing them every time (unless they're damaged ofcourse)..... if I can get the damn sump plug off...... tis a bit round you see....

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #1491
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
I always use a mityvac fluid evacuator so I don't have to pull the plastic, or the drain plug...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #1492
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Ever what ? Replace the parts or have a leak ?

I've never had a leak from the oil filter o-ring, sump plug crush washer or the oiltank crush washer.

I did change the parts in the beginning, but haven't the last few years. Will probably change them next time though as they are getting a bit worn, but I don't see the point in changing them every time (unless they're damaged ofcourse)..... if I can get the damn sump plug off...... tis a bit round you see....
yeah, change them. I guess I am just used to cartridge filters from my other bikes which always had a built in o-ring. This is the 1st internal filter I have ever changed and I just assumed a good idea to replace the filter and all the washers that come in the kit. I will re-think that.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #1493
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Does that thing show you clearly how much you sucked out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
I always use a mityvac fluid evacuator so I don't have to pull the plastic, or the drain plug...

dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #1494
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

It does not have volume marks on it, like a "graduated cylinder" if that is what you mean...

You hook an air hose to it, and it uses a venturi to create a strong vacuum, it makes short work of bleeding brakes, changing oil, antifreeze, ETC...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 01-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #1495
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:

I used to use something similar on my sailboat years ago. That thing was a pain to get the drain plug out of bottom. Once I had to pull the engine and did a complete overhaul and there was a lot of sludge in the pan. I don't know if that would have drained out had I been pulling the drain plug each time or not but I only used the pump every other time to make sure I was doing the best I could to get a complete oil change - as best as possible. I replaced the engine a few years later and pulled the oil pan to see if there was any buildup again and only a small spot of grit this time around.

Perhaps the suction just won't pull the dirt as easy as the oil and it can be left behind. Not saying it isn't a great method but just and observation from my previous experience.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #1496
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Not sure what you used that was similar.....
This thing will suck sludge, and metal particles.... I use it daily in my repair shop.

It has an assortment of tubes... Including small tubes that will fit down the dipstick tube, and pull the oil from a V8.. I have used it to get chunks of rust that are on the bottom of old gas tanks..

You start the engine first so all the crap is in suspension... Then work the tube around the bottom like vacuuming a swimming pool (this is doable on the F650 but not on a V8 where you are sliding down a dipstick tube.), and the oil tank will be drier then using the drain plug.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #1497
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Not sure what you used that was similar.....
This thing will suck sludge, and metal particles.... I use it daily in my repair shop.

It has an assortment of tubes... Including small tubes that will fit down the dipstick tube, and pull the oil from a V8.. I have used it to get chunks of rust that are on the bottom of old gas tanks..

You start the engine first so all the crap is in suspension... Then work the tube around the bottom like vacuuming a swimming pool (this is doable on the F650 but not on a V8 where you are sliding down a dipstick tube.), and the oil tank will be drier then using the drain plug.
Awesome. Sounds like technology getting better all the time.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #1498
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

I have 150-170 psi at the shop... When bleeding a brake system with the thing I have to continually pour brake fluid as it pulls the fluid through the master cylinder about as fast as you pour... Takes about 10 seconds to bleed even the hardest to bleed motorcycle systems. You can empty an automatic transmission in about 2 minutes... no mess when you drop the pan to change automatic transmission filters on a car...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #1499
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I got one of these at Sears for $40. Makes short work of it. Here I'm dumping the used fluid into a tub but you connect a graduated container to the outlet.

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #1500
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
You can make one of those yourself, but using a jar. Drill out a hole the size of your vacuum cleaner nozzle and a hole next to it for the bleed tube. I have one with a one way valve. Sucks it all out for ya.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote