User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #1516
BMacW650

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
I got a set of Barkbusters for my 2002 Dakar from Santa this year. When I tried to put them on, I discovered that the BB end weight won't work with a set of handlebars missing the OEM heated grips. In other words, if your Dakar's handlebars don't have heated grips, the BBs won't work.

Matt and the gang at Twisted Throttle are aware of the problem and have contacted BB about it. They even have made a quick modification to their website. Hopefully, we'll be hearing from the Aussies some time this week as to whether or not they can come up with a mod to fix the problem.

I had to drill out one of the bolts on the righthand handgurad in order to remove the OEM stuff. So I won't be able to use the original mounting bracket to reinstall that guard. If TT can't get a fix for me, I'll be looking for a replacement set of old Dakar handguards. Anyone got a set lying around?
You should get real handle bar for your bike. The oem is a joke.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #1517
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
You should get real handle bar for your bike. The oem is a joke.
Good Advise, I went to Renthal Jimmy Button bend and don't regret it one bit. 35mm risers and no interference with the shield at full lock. I don't have ABS so the brake cable wasn't an issue.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #1518
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Well, I've heard of some weird shit around this one. Never happened to me though. I heard that there is some way the ECU can store some energy (capacitance). I heard about it when people charged through the accessory port. I think the fix was to unhook the battery, check for voltage at the socket (which was seen) and apply a load until it "ran out". Freaky, I know. After that they hooked the battery up and everything reset. Might search over on chain gang. be careful though, in the earlier days many posters there were NOT mechanics although there is a core of good guys. Don't believe it just because it's posted with authority...kind of like this

Dang it work !! Thanks Mate.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #1519
hairyghost
If the noob fits....

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
the fix was to unhook the battery, check for voltage at the socket (which was seen) and apply a load until it "ran out".
True to my mouth breathing nature, I charged through the accessory port and am now experiencing problems. Would it be possible for someone to explain the above process in lay (moron) terms?
hairyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #1520
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyghost
True to my mouth breathing nature, I charged through the accessory port and am now experiencing problems. Would it be possible for someone to explain the above process in lay (moron) terms?
Hmm this makes me a little nervous. I just ordered the trickle charge cable from a bmw dealership. Is charging through the acc port not a good idea?
sonoran rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #1521
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:

All i did was to disconnect the battery then plug in my GPS to the accessory port to drain any charge , reconnected the battery and everything reset to perfect running order.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #1522
hairyghost
If the noob fits....

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004
All i did was to disconnect the battery then plug in my GPS to the accessory port to drain any charge , reconnected the battery and everything reset to perfect running order.
Now that sounds simple. Thanks so much!
hairyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #1523
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Now that sounds simple. Thanks so much!
Sorry I blendered the explanation. Glad Shearboy figured it out.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #1524
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,633
Anyone have a good idea of aftermarket windshield that fits a 2005 and newer 4 bolt that is more upright like the 3 bolt shields the older Dakar's had?

I got the factory shield but on full left lock the brake master cyclinder hits the shield.

Any one trim the factory shield and get good results?

John
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #1525
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
Anyone have a good idea of aftermarket windshield that fits a 2005 and newer 4 bolt that is more upright like the 3 bolt shields the older Dakar's had?

I got the factory shield but on full left lock the brake master cyclinder hits the shield.

Any one trim the factory shield and get good results?

John
If the interference isn't too bad, why not just loosen the clamp holding the master cylinder in place and move it a bit? If that's not sufficient, how about rotating the handlebars a bit towards you in the mount? If you gain the clearance you need without destroying your ergos you're gonna be a lot happier with the cost of these fixes.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1526
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
If the interference isn't too bad, why not just loosen the clamp holding the master cylinder in place and move it a bit?
I've got some busy bars going on and not much room to move.

If that's not sufficient, how about rotating the handlebars a bit towards you in the mount?
Good idea, I'll give it a try and see how that feels, but I'm thinking they would not give me enough adjustment.
If you gain the clearance you need without destroying your ergos you're gonna be a lot happier with the cost of these fixes.
I would perfer to have a more upright shield like I've seen on the earlier Dakars that would be totally out of the way but have not found any of the 4 bolt style yet.

I might just have to get the saw out
Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #1527
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
[quote=Throttlemeister]I would perfer to have a more upright shield like I've seen on the earlier Dakars that would be totally out of the way but have not found any of the 4 bolt style yet. /quote]

Wind pressure at highway speeds is an issue with 2005-'07 Dakars. After you solve the clearance problem (I like JDLuke's idea), if you want more upright for your windscreen consider adding a Laminar Lip to your OEM screen. You can install it so it only adds two or three inches to the top of the OEM screen, it deflects wind up and over you a lot better, plus it's removeable for off-road days, so you get Best of both. I like mine a lot.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #1528
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

Oddometer: 68
more upright windscreen

I got longer bolts to replace the upper two, then added thin rubber washers below and much thicker rubber under the upper wind screen holes. I got the idea from f650.com and it has worked very well for me.
Toro One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #1529
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I don't mind where the wind hits me now with the factory screen. This bike compared to what I normally ride has very little/no wind protection at all anyhow. Rotating the bars in the clamp didn't do enough to solve the clearence issues but helped some.

I'll probably just notch it out a little to clear the master cylinder or find the elusive small upright shield if it even exists. Only hits at extreme left turn anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #1530
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
On the oil window: That thing does not give you correct readings most of the time. In order to check the oil level, you have to warm the bike up to operating temperature (wait for the fan to come on) and then shut it off and wait for one minute. Then and only then can you check that the oil level is in the middle of the sight glass.
I have to go for a ride to get mine to come up to where it will be. Simply warming it 'till the fan comes on shows low oil. Then I put more in. Then I have to take it right back out .

Typically, I'll put in 2 quarts, go for a ride, and my level is just below dead center of the glass...still in range and I don't have to open another quart. But 2.1 after an oil/filter change gets it right at perfect

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote