Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #1756
MTBXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
bar risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDuckDad
I have 20mm risers and the braided brake line (ABS model) couldn't go much further. 35mm may be too much. Let us know what you find out. I would like to go to 35mm but will have to evaluate if I want to spend another ~$125 for a new brake line.
I'm still shopping, did come across Rox bar risers at twistedthrottle.com, they go up to 2 " and provide some nice adjustment options, plus they claim to reduce vibration. I thinking if I do have to replace my brake line, then I am going all the way.
MTBXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #1757
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
ROX risers might not fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilmore
I'm still shopping, did come across Rox bar risers at twistedthrottle.com, they go up to 2 " and provide some nice adjustment options, plus they claim to reduce vibration. I thinking if I do have to replace my brake line, then I am going all the way.
i was thinking the same thing as you, and tried the rox risers. i ended up ordering these: Rox Risers for Dual Sport Bikes (the Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x7/8" ones in black)

when i tried to install them, i ran into a few issues with the fit of the risers when they went onto the handlebar mounts. if you've got the center switch panel (that mounts between the risers, bolting to the top of the triple clamp riser) the rox risers will not fit on the GS / Dakar. (images to follow, editing & uploading now.)

(click on photos to go to gallery / SmugMug lightbox)

kaia screwed with this post 02-24-2010 at 12:59 PM Reason: url links not working.
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1758
MTBXR
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
i was thinking the same thing as you, and tried the rox risers. i ended up ordering these: Rox Risers for Dual Sport Bikes (the Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x7/8" ones in black)

when i tried to install them, i ran into a few issues with the fit of the risers when they went onto the handlebar mounts. if you've got the center switch panel (that mounts between the risers, bolting to the top of the triple clamp riser) the rox risers will not fit on the GS / Dakar. (images to follow, editing & uploading now.)
Oooo. That's not good, thanks for heads up. So what did you have to do? Like to see the pics
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #1759
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
I had the same issue with the YZ fork upgrade and jut ditched it. Went with highwaysdirtbikes clamp. You can find them in vendors. Beautiful clamp with heaps of options for switches, LED's, etc.

Do these risers end up with the same distance between bolt heads as the OEM ones?
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #1760
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Mate, sounds like you have massive amounts of air in the brake system. I'd recommened bleeding it properly. Use a jar with holes cut out for a hose to the caliper and the vacuum cleaner nozzle. It'll bleed it through nicely.

As for oil, I'd never buy it from the dealer. That's just stupid. It's castrol anyway, which you can buy anyway. But just look in the manual for the amount and recommened weight oil.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/OILFAQ.htm

I ran the forks flush to the top of the upper yoke.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #1761
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilmore
Oooo. That's not good, thanks for heads up. So what did you have to do? Like to see the pics
i returned them to the store that i bought them from. ( CycleGear in san jose order them from one of their vendors) i ended up getting the touratech risers, but haven't had the chance to install them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
I had the same issue with the YZ fork upgrade and jut ditched it. Went with highwaysdirtbikes clamp. You can find them in vendors. Beautiful clamp with heaps of options for switches, LED's, etc.

Do these risers end up with the same distance between bolt heads as the OEM ones?
i was just looking at the highwaydirtbikes top clamp the other day. i imagine that clamp would be great if you're removing the standard dash, and going with a Vapor dash... allows you to essentially remove the whole front of the bike.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #1762
MTBXR
Adventurer

[quote=kaia] i ended up getting the touratech risers, but haven't had the chance to install them yet.

Are you going with a longer brake line or going to try without? If without let us know how it worked out.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #1763
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Why only if you remove the dash?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #1764
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBXR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
i ended up getting the touratech risers, but haven't had the chance to install them yet.
Are you going with a longer brake line or going to try without? If without let us know how it worked out.
i guess we'll see when i install them. the brake line seems to have more than enough room as it is, taking 35mm out of it shouldn't be a problem.... i hope. if not, it'll give me the excuse to finally install stainless steel braided brake lines. i'm actually kinda hoping for the latter.

in the mean time, i'm looking for a "high" seat for the dakar so i can move "up" all at once, hopefully installing the risers when i get a new seat. i'm on the "list" for a Renazco seat in august, but i'll need something else sooner than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Why only if you remove the dash?
oh, sorry... i meant that it seems that the HDB top clams seem geared towards bikes that either don't have a dash, and need mount points, or bikes with the need for more features.

personally, i'd love to see what they look like installed on a f650, and how clean the install is - anyone used them?

kaia screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 11:22 AM
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #1765
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Yep, I've got one installed. No picture though. But it just sit on it just the same as on other bikes. Makes no difference to the dash as it's well away from it.

I've got the TT risers myself as well, and did need a longer brake hose. Than again when I installed a wider handle bar. I've got ABS which mean that the brake hose leads to a splitter bracket, so there is less room for slack. I like the Rox risers, but that would mean I'd need a longer brake hose again. So not keen on that.

tmotten screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 01:21 PM
Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #1766
Beem Dubya
...least I have chicken.

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreams
first off what oil do you guys here use?? I don't want to go to BMW and get the oil cause im sure a motorex or a repsol would be better but what do you use? also anyone know the oil capacity?
I use Motorex.

Quote:
I put on new brake pads front and rear, but the rear seems way to soft and has no stopping power... I rolled it down my hill and couldn't stop.
Bleed the brakes.

Quote:
oh one last thing does anyone know how far down the forks are suppose to be??
I have mine set at 3mm from the top of the fork clamp to the line where the cap and fork tube meet.

Check yer PM's for more info.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #1767
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Brake Lines

For those of you looking for longer brakelines, I had one made by moto-heaven.com.

I did the yamaha fork corversion and needed a 37" line from the ABS block
to the caliper. Custom made braided stainless and vinyl covered, $50.

It'a a HEL line, you can get them in colors if you choose and the banjo ends
can be made to any angle you want.

Here's it on the bike. Sorry it's not a close up.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Touratech and the TT isn't vinyl coated.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #1768
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
What seat is that? I notice it is not "stepped" like the seat on my 01 Dakar

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #1769
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
What seat is that? I notice it is not "stepped" like the seat on my 01 Dakar
It's a Renazco. I got it fiited at James' shop since he only is about
10 miles from my home. I have a short 30" inseam so he cut it down in the back
and narrowed it a little at the front. It's a very comfortable seat for long
distance but you can still move around on it riding off road. weel worth the price.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #1770
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Did he make a mold, or whatever it is those seat guys do to make multiples?