Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #1816
GusBrazil
Coach

Oddometer: 35
Thanks, Bwana. Actually that was the first time Id ever heard of Mefo Tires. Never seen them this far South of the border. I posted to the Brazil BM club and got zylch. But since that post I found their German website. What you guys claim about Mefo tires is awesome and Ill try to find out how to import them. Would you say for my needs the Mefo Explorers beat the Conti TKCs? [ ]s Gus
GusBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #1817
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusBrazil
Thanks, Bwana. Actually that was the first time Id ever heard of Mefo Tires. Never seen them this far South of the border. I posted to the Brazil BM club and got zylch. But since that post I found their German website. What you guys claim about Mefo tires is awesome and Ill try to find out how to import them. Would you say for my needs the Mefo Explorers beat the Conti TKCs? [ ]s Gus
I have been extremely pleased with Mefo Explorers, and have been using them for about three years now. They're just fine for the asphalt, so how they'll do for your situation depends, IMHO, on how bad the mud is. However, if you can make a tire like the Anakee:

work for you, then a more aggressive tire like the Mefo should certainly be fine:

I can't directly compare the tires, since I have not used Anakees. But I have used Tourances, which have a very similar tread pattern:

and there's no real comparison in dirt/mud situations. On road the nod would go to the Tourance, but only by a small margin.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #1818
GusBrazil
Coach

Oddometer: 35
Thanx, JDLuke. Bottom line is 1) Ill find and fit either Conti TKC80 or Mefo Explorer front and rear (or possibly Dunlop 606 rear) and 2) Ill save those Anakees for the dry part of the year May thru October. [ ]s Gus
GusBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #1819
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
LED turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran rider
MOTO-led makes led replacement panels that fit in the stock housings. ...Since you're just replacing the stock lights you'll probably be using a lot less current than a single incandescent bulb.
Thanks, Sonoran Rider. I checked them out online, liked what I saw and bought two pair. They're en route now. I'll do a report after I install and test them.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #1820
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuru
Thanks, Sonoran Rider. I checked them out online, liked what I saw and bought two pair. They're en route now. I'll do a report after I install and test them.
I really like mine. It was a huge pain getting the rear apart to wire in the rear brake function, but they work great!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #1821
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Here is the water pump I just pulled out. I swear the previous owner told me he had 'taken care of the water pump, so don't worry about that', but of course I have nothing in writing to that effect.

Doesn't look like a 'taken care of' impeller shaft to me. There's another shaft that I may have gotten though...

Anyhoo... I replaced it, and me and the Dakar survived after a trip from Oakland to DV and back, so hopefully I can get another 20K or so before I need to fix that again.

You can read the ride report for our trip, if you're bored.

ixab screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 04:39 PM
ixab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #1822
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,164
Small oil leak or big problem?

I noticed dirt collecting in the dead center of this picture due to a small oil leak. Is this a symptom of something I need to take care of right away?

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #1823
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,120
not an emergency

looks like a leaky gasket - I would make sure all your head bolts are torqued down to spec - and the monitor to make sure it does not get worse. But it is going to need some attention at some point.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #1824
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUG SLUG
looks like a leaky gasket - I would make sure all your head bolts are torqued down to spec - and the monitor to make sure it does not get worse. But it is going to need some attention at some point.
Thanks. It is right at 36,000 miles and due for a service. I've done those things on my previous bikes but since I had some other issues when I first bought this one I am taking it in hoping that an experienced eye will catch things I don't have the faintest idea to even look for let alone find.

Always great to hear someone else give some input before you talk to a service department. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #1825
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
I noticed dirt collecting in the dead center of this picture due to a small oil leak. Is this a symptom of something I need to take care of right away?
Short answer: No.

A leak makes a visible mark on the floor of your garage, or shows up on the crotch of your jeans What you have there is a 'seep', which is much more open to debate.

Long answer: 'take care of right away' depends on a lot of things. How picky are you about mechanical perfection? Is it getting worse? Did you touch it? Did anyone see you touch it? How many miles are on the bike, how many more are you planning to put on it? Do you do 85mph on the freeway much? Or are you going to enter any supercross races?

If it were my bike, I'd wipe away the dirt and see what happens over the next 3 weeks / 3 months, depending on how much or how hard you ride the thing. If you hit the rev limiter much, 3 weeks might be more appropriate. If you drink a lot, 3 months might be a better plan...

Ever single bike I've owned, from just about every major brand on the planet, has shown a bit 'seep' here and there, esp from top end gaskets. Granted, I buy used bikes with at least 10K miles on the clock, and ride the crap out of them. I'm pretty sure they invented the rev limiter for me. Interpretation and acceptability of 'seep' varies, depending on HOW MUCH; how much do you wipe visible oil away, how much you have to spend fixing it, or how much you like pulling motors apart.

Then there's the old skool Triumph way of dealing with this; it's either inconsequential, or it's a 'feature', which enables a sort of continuous oil change. Just top 'er off when needed, and pop a new filter in there every once in while Just learn the difference between 'stopped leaking' and 'done leaking', and you're you're a Triumph master mechanic. Get yourself elbow deep in the bottom end of any motor, and you're going to laugh your ass off about even asking about the picture above.

One more, sort of shortish answer: That Rotax single is relatively bullet proof. It's no XR4, but that lump can take a punch, trust me. Ride the wheels off that thing, and work on it when you feel like it.

Ever motor weeps oil somewhere. It's up to you how much it matters.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #1826
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixab
Short answer: No.

A leak makes a visible mark on the floor of your garage, or shows up on the crotch of your jeans What you have there is a 'seep', which is much more open to debate.

Long answer: 'take care of right away' depends on a lot of things. How picky are you about mechanical perfection? Is it getting worse? Did you touch it? Did anyone see you touch it? How many miles are on the bike, how many more are you planning to put on it? Do you do 85mph on the freeway much? Or are you going to enter any supercross races?

If it were my bike, I'd wipe away the dirt and see what happens over the next 3 weeks / 3 months, depending on how much or how hard you ride the thing. If you hit the rev limiter much, 3 weeks might be more appropriate. If you drink a lot, 3 months might be a better plan...

Ever single bike I've owned, from just about every major brand on the planet, has shown a bit 'seep' here and there, esp from top end gaskets. Granted, I buy used bikes with at least 10K miles on the clock, and ride the crap out of them. I'm pretty sure they invented the rev limiter for me. Interpretation and acceptability of 'seep' varies, depending on HOW MUCH; how much do you wipe visible oil away, how much you have to spend fixing it, or how much you like pulling motors apart.

Then there's the old skool Triumph way of dealing with this; it's either inconsequential, or it's a 'feature', which enables a sort of continuous oil change. Just top 'er off when needed, and pop a new filter in there every once in while Just learn the difference between 'stopped leaking' and 'done leaking', and you're you're a Triumph master mechanic. Get yourself elbow deep in the bottom end of any motor, and you're going to laugh your ass off about even asking about the picture above.

One more, sort of shortish answer: That Rotax single is relatively bullet proof. It's no XR4, but that lump can take a punch, trust me. Ride the wheels off that thing, and work on it when you feel like it.

Ever motor weeps oil somewhere. It's up to you how much it matters.
Not much on the rev limiter but on the freeway I am hauling - it's CA after all - when the traffic isn't stopped, we have to make up for lost time right?

I kind of had the same feeling, wipe it off and see what happens but didn't want to hear later, "Oh crap, that started how long ago and that is a symptom of XYZ!@##@!!! and you should have done this...."

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #1827
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,966
Turn signal installed

A while back, Pyrate asked me to let him know how my turn signal installation went. I have a bunch of pics of the install, plus everything else I did over the last two days, but am too cheap/old fartish to set up a Snugmug account.

I used the Touratech turn signal kit. It comes with two front and two rear signals. The signals are on flexy mounts. I took the broken BWM turn signal off (both sides actually) disassembled it, and reused the OEM wiring harness. This meant that I had to fully disassembe two of the new Touratech (TT) signals, strip out the wiring and then insert the old Dakar harness.

The task caused my Ship Fitter's Disease to pop up. So I ended up doing a bunch of other stuff too. The side plates on my Dakar, along with the dash plate are a silver colored plastic. I used Rustoleum Black satin spray paint to make them look much better. At the same time I replaced the OEM headlight bulb with a H4 halogen unit. Also did the blue LED mod and replaced the four irredescent bulbs under the speedo and tach. While I had the side covers off, I also replaced the OEM plug with an Iridium one. What a pain in the *ss that turned into! I finished the process up with the installation of a new air filter. See what I mean by typical Ship Fitter's Disease?

Here's a pic of the finished turnsignal installation:
Attached Images

"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #1828
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,966
Newly painted dash and LEDs

Looks even better at night.
Attached Images

"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #1829
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
Looks even better at night.
Good deal. If you want, download Picasa for Web Albums. It is a google product, is free and you can share pictures. It can be a bit cumbersome to figure out at 1st (what isn't these days) but works for me.

Thanks for sharing!! Those lights don't look much different than stock and what a good deal.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #1830
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
A while back, Pyrate asked me to let him know how my turn signal installation went. I have a bunch of pics of the install, plus everything else I did over the last two days, but am too cheap/old fartish to set up a Snugmug account.
Can you tell me if the oem reflectors would fit in the TT signals? The reason I ask is I have LED inserts specifically made for the OEM signal housings and would like to switch to a more flexible design.

thanks!