User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #2296
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Hi all,

I have a number of flexible oil return lines available for the F650GS and Dakar. These will make removing the clutch cover a doddle when you come to do the waterpump replacement.

As I write 5 have been sold so 5 more left

Price is 50 posted recorded delivery in the UK. Can post anywhere if you cover the extra costs of shipping which should not be too great as the pipe is light and can be sent as small packet.

PM me if you want one.

George

komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #2297
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 748
Can anyone direct me towards a plug and play tunr signal flasher that is compatible with LED turn signals. I have heard rumors of a car flasher that works but can't find a part number. Thanks.

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #2298
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhb
Looking at cutting the snorkel on my twin spark Dakar, checked out the posts on chain gang, but was wondering if anyone on here has done it, and is it worth doing? I am in Perth, Australia so mainly dusty conditions, although it does rain now and again!
I cut mine this winter and I have put close to 1k miles on it this spring. At the same time I changed the gearing (both front and rear) and I already had a staintune pipe on there. The bike was also out of commission for about three months - so I don't have a good before and after comparison for you. All I can say is there have been no problems thus far and I have ridden for about 3 hours in pouring rain and a full day of dusty trail riding. I will let you know what the air box and filter look like when I pull them off later this week.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2299
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhb
Looking at cutting the snorkel on my twin spark Dakar, checked out the posts on chain gang, but was wondering if anyone on here has done it, and is it worth doing? I am in Perth, Australia so mainly dusty conditions, although it does rain now and again!
I and many others have done this mod. But be aware that with the stock exhaust it will have no effect as the stock exhaust is too plugged to actually need more air at the intake. Also, take note that the opening need be no bigger than the intake at the throttle body. After all, the most air you can suck in is the size of the throttle body opening itself. With that said, cut away, because the air sensor will make any adjustments for the added air passing through.

As a final point, the thing that people call an "airbox" is actually labeled as a "sound" box on BMW tech drawings. This box is so unimportant to the bike's performance and gas mileage that I no longer have any part of the stock air system on my bike. I have replaced it with a much smaller unit that still maintains the K&N stainless race filter that has allowed me to replace the stock BMW faux tank cowling with a much smaller one that has allowed me to put a Desert rally style seat on my bike.

In this photo you can see just how narrow my body work is now and the nice seat that I have been able to mount. Notice that other than the intake area, my body panels do not protrude outside of the frame. This body work is a full 6" narrower and 3.5" lower than the stock parts.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 09:49 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #2300
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by -N8-
Excuse me, I was thinking he meant the valve cover gasket for some reason.
no worries

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #2301
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmost_Paul
Does appear to be the water pump seal. He's got our local wrench working on it now. Thanks.
Good good.
Has it been leaking from the weep hole ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #2302
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I and many others have done this mod. But be aware that with the stock exhaust it will have no effect as the stock exhaust is too plugged to actually need more air at the intake. Also, take note that the opening need be no bigger than the intake at the throttle body. After all, the most air you can suck in is the size of the throttle body opening itself. With that said, cut away, because the air sensor will make any adjustments for the added air passing through.

As a final point, the thing that people call an "airbox" is actually labeled as a "sound" box on BMW tech drawings. This box is so unimportant to the bike's performance and gas mileage that I no longer have any part of the stock air system on my bike. I have replaced it with a much smaller unit that still maintains the K&N stainless race filter that has allowed me to replace the stock BMW faux tank cowling with a much smaller one that has allowed me to put a Desert rally style seat on my bike.

In this photo you can see just how narrow my body work is now and the nice seat that I have been able to mount. Notice that other than the intake area, my body panels do not protrude outside of the frame. This body work is a full 6" narrower and 3.5" lower than the stock parts.

You need somewhere for the crank breather hose, no ?
I was very tempted to to put a cone airfilter directly on top of the throttlebody, but decided against it

Rob,

- Have you made/ moved your oil tank ?
- What's that handbag hanging down toward the radiator ? Is there another one on the other side ? Even more fueltanks ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #2303
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,421
Gsxr exhaust

Seeing as the scorpion exhaust has again decided to eat the baffle material i've had to put the stock exhaust on Btw thats the second time in 6 months, i'm getting sick of sending the damn thing back to scorpion for a repack.

Decided against putting the scorpion back on as it's going to keep fucking up, then i stumbled upon the dr650 thread, where most people seem to be sticking a stock 01 /02 gsxr end can onto the bike, this sounds like an ideal solution to me, Anyone tried it on the dakar or am i going to be first

An added bonus is that it'll never need repacking.

rc mad screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 12:33 PM
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #2304
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Are these aftermarket pipes with thinner stainless steel? Because why not just cut the OEM exhaust at both ends and get a perforated pipe welded on the end cap.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #2305
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

On the topic of exhausts. Who's thought about going with aluminium. Apparently the may not last as long. Dunno why or if that's the case. Thought that ali is fine in high temp applications.

The bloke that does my finish welding made his own exhaust, so it can't be hard or expensive to do.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #2306
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,421
Nope, these would be stock k1 / gsxr exhausts, full titanium with an ally skin, means it'll weigh next to bugger all. And because no one wants a stock exhaust they can be had for cheap, less than 30.00 delivered from ebay. That's if the dr lot don't get there first

I could easily chop up the stock gs exhaust but i'd rather not as you never know when it may be needed. Hopefully the fi on the dakar is smart enough to accomidate the change, it should be as it ran fine with the scorpion.

Also being doing my homework, inlet pipe diameter of the gsxr can is 58mm, o/d of the scorpion link pipe is 52mm. Means it'll work All i have to make is a flange to suit the 52mm pipe and the mounting holes on the exhaust, mock it alll up then get it welded.

Theres a gasket that sits between the exhaust and the mount flange, so the diameter of the pipe doesn't matter too much.

Ally is quite susceptible to vibration tmotten, perhaps that's why they wouldn't last long on a single
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #2307
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Oil / water and thanks!

I think we fixed Doug's bike. "we" I mean y'all... In any event... thanks.

Water pump seal seems to have been the issue.

Southernmost_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #2308
andyhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Bash plate finished

Just finished making up a bash plate. Obviously based on the TT plate, $20 for the alloy, half a dozen cereal packets as templates but pretty happy with the thing.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #2309
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Nice job. How thick is that?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #2310
andyhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
4mm thick