User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #2371
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,159
2003 - Dakar fuses

Quick question...how many fuses does your bike have in the fuse block?

Mine has three. The PDF manual I have shows 4. The manual says it is for the 2003 model but perhaps it is for more years than just the 2003. The thing I like about the 4 fuses is based upon the manual is it has an independent fuse for the fan.

Thoughts? Observations?

2008 YAMAHA FJR for sale: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973852
pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #2372
jonkem
Got let out early

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum
In order to get the carbon cannister out I need to remove the fuel tank, and for which I need to remove what? Seems like the whole subframe has to come off. Chaingang gave me zero response.

Yes, rear subframe off to take the tank off, not as big a job as you might fear.

If you want a semi permanent fix while on the road, how about expanding foam injected around the cannister?
jonkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #2373
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet

Raised the bike one angry inch" Overall ground clearance is 13" and seat is now 37" since I'm a tall guy I needed to do this a long time ago. With the forks dropped down to the max in the triple and the suspension unwound a bit, the bike takes whoops 100% better than before. REALLY FUN.

Good ain't it Handles like its on rails on the road now too

Anyway, that's so last week, i'm now onto exhausts from suzuki gsxr's

Basically i just don't like the stock exhaust, it's only redeaming features are that it's stainless steel and quiet, other than that it's stupidly big for a single cylinder bike and all the cat does is provide my left leg with an ample ammount of unwanted heat.

Figured i'd solved that when i bought the scorpion exhaust, but after one complete failure where the innards decided they didn't want to stay attached and a further two failures of the baffle material i'd had enough. Had to put the stock exhaust back on

I was browsing adv and ended up in the dr650 thread, where everyone and his dog seems to be sticking gsxr exhausts on and calling it good.

Long story short i thought that may work and eventually found a 2001 gsxr 1000 exhaust, in titanuim (apparently the exhaust to get) and, using the mounts and link pipe from the scorpion setup bolted it onto the dakar.

Like so

Bit of work involved to fit it tho, i had to make a flange to marry the exhaust to the link pipe as the gsxr exhaust bolts on with 4 m8 nuts instead of the traditional clamps, i also had to make an adpter for the ehaust hanger, that needs a bit more work to remove some excess steel from the adapter plate and sort out the washers but otherwise it's Fitted and working Also it's a tight fit, very tight with the caribou racks, but it fits. And sounds great too, quite deep sounding but not overly loud at high revs
Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #2374
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr
Back to the ABS switch.
I've rewired my dash and now the disable switch does not appear to work.
Should the ABS lamp come on when the ignition is on (before starting)?
Not sure if its related, but the low fuel light also will not work.

JD - you will like this. I took ADVtenn's ride at the rendevous. Came to a steep rocky (loose rock) downhill - and the ABS kicked in. It was terrifying - zero brakes, and the bike kept accelerating. Somehow I kept it together - much to the surprise of the others.
My fuel light doesn't work either, but neither did the oil pressure light before I added resistance to the equation (I replaced all bulbs with LEDs)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #2375
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBXR
Thanks, that's $70 I saved.
I bought a new chainroller last summer (it wasn't BMW) and it cost maybe $5

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #2376
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,448
Mate, looks awesome. Have you got a picky of the inside of the pipe with the end cap removed? And off the end cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad

Basically i just don't like the stock exhaust, it's only redeaming features are that it's stainless steel and quiet, other than that it's stupidly big for a single cylinder bike and all the cat does is provide my left leg with an ample ammount of unwanted heat.

Figured i'd solved that when i bought the scorpion exhaust, but after one complete failure where the innards decided they didn't want to stay attached and a further two failures of the baffle material i'd had enough. Had to put the stock exhaust back on

I was browsing adv and ended up in the dr650 thread, where everyone and his dog seems to be sticking gsxr exhausts on and calling it good.

Long story short i thought that may work and eventually found a 2001 gsxr 1000 exhaust, in titanuim (apparently the exhaust to get) and, using the mounts and link pipe from the scorpion setup bolted it onto the dakar.

Like so

Bit of work involved to fit it tho, i had to make a flange to marry the exhaust to the link pipe as the gsxr exhaust bolts on with 4 m8 nuts instead of the traditional clamps, i also had to make an adpter for the ehaust hanger, that needs a bit more work to remove some excess steel from the adapter plate and sort out the washers but otherwise it's Fitted and working Also it's a tight fit, very tight with the caribou racks, but it fits. And sounds great too, quite deep sounding but not overly loud at high revs
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #2377
rygroh
Noobs UNITE

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad
That's great, I've been looking for a solution to this problem (tried different switches, etc). Could you share a little more details about where you intercepted the sensor? I assume where the cable terminates since the sheath is fairly well protected.
If I recall correctly (I am feeding a baby right now) the cable comes out of the sensor, goes up to the area behind the dash where it plugs into a plastic thingy. Out of that P.T. comes 2 wires. I clipped one wire, spliced into each of the cut pieces and ran wire to where I put the push button (lower right side of the dash). All it does is interrupt the signal on the way to the brain. If it is different when I look later I will let you know.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #2378
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad

Like so

Very clean. Great job!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #2379
sonicapollo
Adventure Addict

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
You could try these....

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BD14-U0279-5_G

Personally I went to flush mount LEDs which you can also find at Cyclegear.com

Remember it's literally a slippery slope when you ride these bikes off-road. Streetbike hardware with a GS teaser logo... next thing you know you'll be taking off the "possum scraper"
Pretty much every turn signal is 10mm and requires some expanding on the holes, right?

sonicapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #2380
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapollo
Pretty much every turn signal is 10mm and requires some expanding on the holes, right?

Yes... you will need to drill. I promise you will never want to mount your stock signals again. No matter what you end up with.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #2381
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Yes... you will need to drill. I promise you will never want to mount your stock signals again. No matter what you end up with.
The 650 has a two pole flasher.If any of your turn signal goes out, the entire system will not function.

I have the touratech one, they work really well. If you have rear side luggage rack, it's unlikely you will damage the rear blinkers. The TT set come with 4 of them. You can split the cost with someone else.
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #2382
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,876
Touratech signals are great

I have the flexie Touratech turn signals also. Only installed them on the front...keeping the rear set as spares. The drilling isn't hard and the finished product looks great.
Attached Images

I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #2383
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
The 650 has a two pole flasher.If any of your turn signal goes out, the entire system will not function.

I have the touratech one, they work really well. If you have rear side luggage rack, it's unlikely you will damage the rear blinkers. The TT set come with 4 of them. You can split the cost with someone else.

I have LED turn signals that are really marker lights for truck and trailer. . One wire only. and are designed to be grounded to the truck body. They have such low resistance I just run a wire to the frame and no problemo. Pretty much unbreakable, no bulbs to burn out easy to install and if one does get disconnected the others DO NOT go out. They don't look good on a stock Dakar so you would not like them. They are just as visible as the old signals, but honestly.... I would never trust someone else on the road to see my turn signals. I have them just to be legal and always assume that no one sees them and still use hand signals and look at the drivers face to see if he notices. I think spending the extra cash to overpay Touratech is a complete waste of money.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #2384
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,876
Are you sure...

that you think Touratech prices are too high? Just want to confirm that.

I agree on using hand signals and looking drivers in the eye. So what to do when you see all these airheads with cell phones glued to their ears, and/or shaving or putting on their makeup? I never realized that cages were also secondary bathrooms on wheels.
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #2385
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
I have LED turn signals that are really marker lights for truck and trailer. . One wire only. and are designed to be grounded to the truck body. They have such low resistance I just run a wire to the frame and no problemo. Pretty much unbreakable, no bulbs to burn out easy to install and if one does get disconnected the others DO NOT go out. They don't look good on a stock Dakar so you would not like them. They are just as visible as the old signals, but honestly.... I would never trust someone else on the road to see my turn signals. I have them just to be legal and always assume that no one sees them and still use hand signals and look at the drivers face to see if he notices. I think spending the extra cash to overpay Touratech is a complete waste of money.
I broke mine stock blinker stem. So I had to replace them with something. I have oversized rear led turn signals with running light. I feel thats where the visibility counts. The front blinkers is pretty useless to begin with. I'd be lucky if the cagers sees my headlight. At least they can hear my loud pipe
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote