User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #31
RyLaN
14 F800 GSA

Oddometer: 24
TMOTTEN,
speeking of the mods you have done... can you post some pics of the "must have mods" please? Or could you explain in detail ?

Thanks
RyLaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #32
underwaterguru OP
Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Does TT stand for trailer trash

I see a lot of upgrades with TT stuff. It just seams not to be built very good. I wonder if the TT stands for trailer trash or not? Why would you by over priced junk just to have it brake and fix it yourself? Not sure but some one is getting f***ed here and I think it us!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle
so that's this weekend sorted
Don't worry, That's an easy job and a nice time to inspect your rear gear carefully. I was freaked out about my Ohlins install after reading about it on another forum but it goes smoothly. Just tie back the brain, lift the sub frame and you're halfway there.

Dan
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #34
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
While your installing that sweet Ohlins, I woud suggest you pull the swingarm and lube the bearings. I love my 03 Dakar and it has been trouble free however the factory is chinsey with the grease on ALL the bearings.
So far I have been happy with touratech stuff, I do not have the chain gaurd due to repeated problems I have read about. The other items I have are up to par. Here are a few shots of my bike. By the way after the ohlins your going to want a set of Racetech emulators trust me it will complete the set up.

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwaterguru
I see a lot of upgrades with TT stuff. It just seams not to be built very good. I wonder if the TT stands for trailer trash or not? Why would you by over priced junk just to have it brake and fix it yourself? Not sure but some one is getting f***ed here and I think it us!!!!
I agree entirely. I wouldn't buy TT stuff in a pink fit, over-priced is an under-statement!!
On my Dakar, I fabricated all of my own stuff, and did the same except for the crash bars(SW-Motech) on my F800GS. Saved a fortune and have gear that will not fail/fall apart!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #36
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 625
New to Me

Here's my new/used 2002 with 19,680. No ABS, no heated grips. Centerstand added by PO.

I gave her a bath and added her first real farkle. A Wunderlich Low Ergo Saddle so I could get more than my toes on the ground. It's raining here so I couldn't give it a test ride but the garage test was a big .

HiJincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
I agree. TT stuff is way overprices considering the setup they have to mass produce items. The countershaft sprocket cover I've got is a classic example. Low quality ali and not even welded (well, it looks awefully weird for a tig weld. I reckon it's epoxied on.). They count on the average BMW owner being useless in the garage but awesome with the credit card IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwaterguru
tmotten, I would say you are mod happy but it looks like you get out and ride the thing. Thanks for the post, I will have to look into some of the things you have done.
It was so many that I got completely sick of working on it all the time. Now that I bought a DRZ I'm just buying the stuff. Helps that the stuff for the DRZ is well designed and good quality though.
Riding across Asia and Europe on a 20 year old XT Tenere gives you heaps of thoughts of 'neccesary' comfort and maintenance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLaN
TMOTTEN,
speeking of the mods you have done... can you post some pics of the "must have mods" please? Or could you explain in detail ?

Thanks
It's all on the blog sort of categorised, but when you need some more feedback let me know.

Main issues are protection and mitigating known faults. Fork seals go due to pitting of the chrome on the stanchions. I've never riden without the neoprene ones and no fork issues at all.

The side crash bars are a mix between TT's and SW's.

Hand guards are a no brainer, along with the Renthal. The stock 6mm bolt just doesn't cut it. So re-wiring the heated grips becomes neccesary.

For me the bash plate extension is a must. Mostly because I use the drain valve but also because I've had a lot of rock hit the crap out of it. Make some, don't buy TT's.

Couldn't find a better crash bar for the engine than the BMW one. You do loose clearance, but nowhere near as much as from the SW centre stand.

If you ride dirt and gravel roads, the foam between the radiator and the centre frame is a must. Rock do fit in there carving out your radiator. While you are there you might as well bolt on some chicken wire fencing.

NB's crap flap is awesome. Pitting of shock shafts is as much of an issue as pitting on the stanchions. Mine is still clean as. It won't stop volcanic ash/dust though, but nothing really does.

Instead of waisting your money on TT's chain guards, just cut the possum scraper off. The plastic one is fine. Doesn't move as much as trail bike ones. I'd keep the speedo sensor guard as well.

Definately go with the unifilter. Their oil is the thickest I've seen as well.

It needs a suspension upgrade. Riding with a lot of luggage always does though. Really like the emulators. Makes an amazing difference.

Other than that I'd recommend adding lubing SHB and suspension/ swingarm bearings to your schedule. No notches in the SHB in 18000km on the stock bearings.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #38
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
What's the score with the emulators ? Will they fit on a GS non Dakar and what are they
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #39
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Check out race tech's website for info. It improves the dampening of the fork by using a different and more complex way of oil flow through the fork. The emulators replace the standard dampening rod in function. The can be adjusted to personalise the dampening level as well. Can't explain it as well as they can but.

It's worth it to me, but it's very personal. The chain gang site had a group buy and made it economical as I had to get stiffer springs anyway due to the added weight of the luggage. It give me much more feel and confidence.

99% sure they will fit as the diameter of the forks are the same. Will probably need a shorter spring though. The emulators take up space which was previously taken up by the stock spring. With the emulators you can get a shorter spring. Not sure if there if a possibility of using the stock spring with a shorter preload spacer. Been a while since I've been in there.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #40
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
[quote=tmotten]

Does anyone have a part number and a source for the Uni? Local shop and internet said it wasn't shown in the catalog only the Funduro...is it the same?

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #41
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks for the heads up on the emulators, another 150 we have to spend on HER bike, we're not going to have any wonga left for mine at this rate.
Come to a full stop on the Ohlins install, bit of a shock.... the swing arm bearings are had it after 12k mls, and that's no off road use, so got to wait until Monday to get some new. So thought I'd sort the bars out but I can't see how I can make the heated grips work with the expander bolt that comes with the Acerbis guards !
And as i'm on the wagon, it's giving me the hump.

Cheers
Pete
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #42
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Check out race tech's website for info. It improves the dampening of the fork by using a different and more complex way of oil flow through the fork. The emulators replace the standard dampening rod in function. The can be adjusted to personalise the dampening level as well. Can't explain it as well as they can but.

It's worth it to me, but it's very personal. The chain gang site had a group buy and made it economical as I had to get stiffer springs anyway due to the added weight of the luggage. It give me much more feel and confidence.

99% sure they will fit as the diameter of the forks are the same. Will probably need a shorter spring though. The emulators take up space which was previously taken up by the stock spring. With the emulators you can get a shorter spring. Not sure if there if a possibility of using the stock spring with a shorter preload spacer. Been a while since I've been in there.

Why waste the money. For double the price of emulators you can just do this, and gain 20 times the handling, strength, adjustability and gain 3" of travel.

Forks and triple clamps $126 on Ebay
Longer brake line $40 from Deering Ind
Excell rim w/tire $26 Ebay
Brake caliper $49 Ebay
Total $241

notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #43
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
[quote=notmybikemodelname]Why waste the money. For double the price of emulators you can just do this, and gain 20 times the handling, strength, adjustability and gain 3" of travel.

Brake caliper $49 Ebay
Total $241
I think you payed to much for that front caliper
But seriously not how about a parts breakdown and problems you ran into.

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #44
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 513
[quote=JDRadman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten

Does anyone have a part number and a source for the Uni? Local shop and internet said it wasn't shown in the catalog only the Funduro...is it the same?

Rad
I sent an email to unifilter asking about it today. The US catalog does not list one for the F650GS but the Australian one does. The Ausi p/n is NU7304 which is listed as being for K bikes 1985-1995 in the US catalog. Seems strange to have different part numbers for different countries.

When I get a reply I will post there response.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #45
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
[quote=bacon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Why waste the money. For double the price of emulators you can just do this, and gain 20 times the handling, strength, adjustability and gain 3" of travel.

Brake caliper $49 Ebay
Total $241
I think you payed to much for that front caliper
But seriously not how about a parts breakdown and problems you ran into.

ET Chief - thanks for looking into the Uni Filter for me

Bacon,
Check out the "Yamaha forks on BMW" thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399113

Rob (NOT) and I both have a similar solutions with a similar goal of making the Dakar handle better in off road conditions. I was concerned with the on-road braking and wheel bearing longevity therefor wanted to keep the OEM wheel in my set-up. I used the Yamaha 46mm KYB forks like Rob, but I designed and built a custom axle and brake hanger to keep the OEM wheel with the OEM 300mm X 5mm disc and 30/32mm 2 piston caliper in tact.

Regarding the parts and problems...stay tuned for a complete write-up on the whole procedure...I have been keeping notes and taking pictures throughout the process.

I am also having springs wound and new valving for the forks so they match their new 400+ pound application.

Rob has ridden his bike and has some first had experience about the improvement. I haven't had mine out yet so I can't make any claims about how great it is...yet. I am about 80% complete.

If anyone wants more info or better pics feel free to PM me.

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote