Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #5911
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,978
Somewhere there's an empty sticker store.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #5912
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Somewhere there's an empty sticker store.
That's pretty funny!

On a sadder note, I have thrown in the towel on my Dakar. It will be appearing in the FM soon. Due to the issues with it, I will most likely be parting it out unless I find a stout soul who is looking for a project bike. I'd rather sell it in one large part rather than a bunch of smaller parts.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #5913
shan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
@ Gravel seeker The paper filter is a breather for the fuel tanks
And a few photos for you . But remember this is a Touratech built Dakar Bike so From below the swinging arm to just under where the Rad pipes go through the frame at the front is all Touratech , foot pegs are not bolt on bits !!

shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #5914
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Front sprocket splines stripped

Any help or advice appreciated. I can't figure out why but the counter shaft sprocket and counter shaft splines were damaged to the point it left me stranded.

I removed the sprocket when I got home. I am 99.9% sure it was installed correctly and the nut was still tight when I removed it. So why did this happen? Maybe I got a bad sprocket, or the wrong size? anyone else have a problem
like this.

Also take a look at the second picture. I put two red lines on the picture. What is the purpose of this groove? Because of this groove the splines only make contact for 2/3 of the material. As you can see on the sprocket itself not all the splines were damaged because 1/3 of them were in the groove.

My plan is to buy an engine off ebay and just swap engines until I get a chance to change the counter shaft myself. BMW wanted $1600 parts and labor to replace counter shaft.

WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #5915
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan View Post
@ Gravel seeker The paper filter is a breather for the fuel tanks
And a few photos for you . But remember this is a Touratech built Dakar Bike so From below the swinging arm to just under where the Rad pipes go through the frame at the front is all Touratech , foot pegs are not bolt on bits !!
Sweet as !

I see now that they are a bit different to the Rallye footpeg kit TT is selling, but it is very clear what the kit is based on. I don't see any problems in cutting the side stand off the fram and welding it back on the peg holder (please, if anyone do I'd like to know )

As for the breathers, that's giving me some more pointers on how to solve my crank brather issues

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #5916
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post
Any help or advice appreciated. I can't figure out why but the counter shaft sprocket and counter shaft splines were damaged to the point it left me stranded.
Oh man, that sucks.

Just thinking out loud, could a misaligned chain cause it to wear askew to the point of failure and then they ate away on eachother ?

It's been a while since I changed the sprockets, so I can't really recall how mine looks, but is the shaft moving at all - can yo push it in ?
Think the sprocked is installed with the print out (stamped no. of teeth and brand)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #5917
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
I removed the sprocket when I got home. I am 99.9% sure it was installed correctly and the nut was still tight when I removed it. So why did this happen? Maybe I got a bad sprocket, or the wrong size? anyone else have a problem like this.
It's been a while since I replaced mine, but rereading the FAQ it sounds like having the sprocket on backwards with the raised boss toward the engine would cause the splines to line up with that offset. Did you try flipping it over to see if the splines lined up better?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #5918
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 105
Quote:

I removed the sprocket when I got home. I am 99.9% sure it was installed correctly and the nut was still tight when I removed it. So why did this happen? Maybe I got a bad sprocket, or the wrong size? anyone else have a problem
like this.

Also take a look at the second picture. I put two red lines on the picture. What is the purpose of this groove? Because of this groove the splines only make contact for 2/3 of the material. As you can see on the sprocket itself not all the splines were damaged because 1/3 of them were in the groove.

this side must be out, the inner side (engine side) of the sprocket is flat

maybe the sprocket was mountet wrong and the counter shaft was pulled out when the sprocket nut was installed.

(sorry for my bad english)
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #5919
gdelasheras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Just a visit to post a few pics of Amy (my GS Dakar) at her first day with the TKC80 tires. Here we're having a wet summer, so I took some mud

gdelasheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #5920
nefj40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
A new Dakar owner here.

I ran out to Co. yesterday and bought Thunderpig's 05. Took it on a few small jaunts today just to get a feel for it, and after this last 45 min. ride tonite, I can say the first thing to happen is some seat work. I've been home for 15 minutes now and my ass is still screaming at me. Beyond that, AWESOME bike. P.O. really took care of it.
nefj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #5921
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 154
a RELAY perplexing problem

2003 dakar, mostly stock, lovingly maintained. 65,000 miles and it runs like a swiss watch.
While it starts and runs great, I'm having problems stopping the motor. I turn the key to the off position, and the motor continues to run. Ditto for all the kill switches - handlebar, side-stand, clutch. The dash lights, gauges and headlight will turn off with the key, but the motor will not.
When I stall it to kill the engine and then leave it set overnight (key in off position), the battery will drain. As if the ignition circuit is staying energized. Would that be possible, does it make sense?
It doesn't always do this, and it seems pretty random. It'll do it with the engine hot or cold, although it's usually hot when it happens - it's always hot these days.
It was suggested to me that it might the relief relay sticking, so I have replaced it and the neighboring BMS relay. Didn't fix the problem.

Question: can someone out there describe how the ignition sequence happens? What happens when I turn the key on/off - what relays are involved, and what is their function? Are there other relays that could account for this behavior?
I'm sure this problem isn't unique to our f650's, but I thought I'd start here - any ideas?

Thanks
Renaissanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #5922
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelasheras View Post
Just a visit to post a few pics of Amy (my GS Dakar) at her first day with the TKC80 tires. Here we're having a wet summer, so I took some mud

Thanks for sharing your pics. Looks like you are using your Dakar like it's supposed to be used. Mud is good.

Mine has taken a few "naps" on me too. The last occurred when I tried to ride it out of a 5" rut. I always carry a couple of the compression bolts to remount the rearview mirrors.

Dale the Old Fart
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #5923
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Happy Trails Soft bag racks

I have a set of Happy trails soft bag racks I might be getting ride of . They have one ride on them, never down. They are 199 new, I would let them go got 165 shipped anywhere in the US. Nothing wrong with them just want something different. This is a feeler.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #5924
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Early model black dakar style windscreen.

[/QUOTE]

I have always like the look of the early model black dakar style windshields like the one above. Any chance someone on this thread has replaced theirs with a fancy new shield and would like to sell their old gently used shield? I'll supply my own dirt.

Cheers,

Troy

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #5925
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post

I have always like the look of the early model black dakar style windshields like the one above. Any chance someone on this thread has replaced theirs with a fancy new shield and would like to sell their old gently used shield? I'll supply my own dirt.

Cheers,

Troy
I'm parting out a 2003 over in the FM/Parts. You just missed a screen there. Still lots of good parts left over....