Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #6061
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
I run the 150/70-17 when I can get it for a decent price. Great for sand and mud, but the price hurts.
How close to touching the swing arm and chain does it come?
I'm contemplating buying the new shape Heidy K60 with the solid centre which only comes in 150/70-17
But yeah the price 10mm extra for almost $100 Aussie
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #6062
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
I'm contemplating buying the new shape Heidy K60 with the solid centre which only comes in 150/70-17
There is plenty of clearance,
rmarkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #6063
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
There is plenty of clearance,
Dankie Mnr
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #6064
marios
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 218
Help help help!!!

Guys,
Today i was getting ready to install my new woody 18" excel but i am missing some parts because after installing the wheel and tightening up the bolt, the wheel doesnt turn. I am attaching the pixs of what I have. I think I am missing the spacers. if that is the case are they easy to be machined? I am getting ready to go on a 2000 mile trip and bmw is out of spacers and will take them three weeks to bring them here. Anyone has spacers for sale?

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...i/3e961123.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated
2006 BMW R 1200 GSA - 2008 MV Agusta 312R
marios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #6065
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Yes you are missing a spacer. get it from the dealers. will be cheaper than machining a new one.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #6066
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Mario, I will look around here again and see if I can find it. I also sent an email to the person who bought the rear wheel to see if it was still stuck on there.

Found it! It was still on the wheel. New wheel owner is shipping it to you today.

mrprez screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 04:28 AM
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #6067
beewill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
The age old question

Ok here it goes, the obligatory questions about a future purchase regarding a BMW Dakar. I am trying to decide on which dual sport to buy with the usual suspects being the Dakar, KTM 640 ADV, and the KLR. My main question I would like to put out there to the Dakar crowd specifically, because I know you will correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me that the KLR and the 640 ADV are the two ends of the performance vs. comfort spectrum, as well as the maintenance (cost of ownership) spectrum. From my months of research (i.e. drooling over all of your pictures and posts) I have brought myself the conclusion that the Dakar might be the happy medium. It would appear that a Dakar could carry my 62, 260 lbs. frame in some comfort for 200-300 mi. days as well as being able to handle some dirt and gravel thrashing on the weekends.

Let me know if my conclusion has any merit, or you can just make fun of me asking a question Im sure you have answered many times. I can take some abuse. I am starting to get a taste for some Beemer Kool-aid, just want to make sure my current lust is somewhat founded in reason.

A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.
― Oscar Wilde
beewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #6068
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewill View Post
Ok here it goes, the obligatory questions about a future purchase regarding a BMW Dakar. I am trying to decide on which dual sport to buy with the usual suspects being the Dakar, KTM 640 ADV, and the KLR. My main question I would like to put out there to the Dakar crowd specifically, because I know you will correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me that the KLR and the 640 ADV are the two ends of the performance vs. comfort spectrum, as well as the maintenance (cost of ownership) spectrum. From my months of research (i.e. drooling over all of your pictures and posts) I have brought myself the conclusion that the Dakar might be the happy medium. It would appear that a Dakar could carry my 62, 260 lbs. frame in some comfort for 200-300 mi. days as well as being able to handle some dirt and gravel thrashing on the weekends.

Let me know if my conclusion has any merit, or you can just make fun of me asking a question Im sure you have answered many times. I can take some abuse. I am starting to get a taste for some Beemer Kool-aid, just want to make sure my current lust is somewhat founded in reason.
I would say that the KTM and the BMW would be better spectrum ends. Of the 3 you mentioned the KLR would be the middle bike in most but not every category. I would say that the BMW is cheaper to own than the KTM, but not by as much as you might think and the BMW is more expensive that the KLR, but not by nearly as much as most think (assuming you do the work yourself). Any of those bikes will do a 200 mile day without much discomfort. On a 600 mile day, I would be on the BMW. The BMW is less dirt worth than the KLR (both stock), but are close enough that a slight change in rider skill would tip the balance. The BMW is a better gravel road bike, as most KLR's are prone to the weave.

At your height, you may find the KTM has the most comfortable seat position, the stock BMW riding position is a little odd compared to other similar bikes.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #6069
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Any have a pic of what/where the turn signal relay is on the 06 Dakar? Getting ready to install a Signalminder (SM-2) but can't find the 2-prong relay.

Thanks
The turn signal relay is under the faux plastic tank in front of the battery, along with a few other relays. You see that black plastic cover in between the battery and headstock, its under there

Hope that helps you.

Quote:

I think your right, the dak seems to sit quite well between the klr and 640, bone stock it'll do 300 miles and not break a sweat, To service the bike cost me 60 every 6k miles, 40 of which is oil the other 20 is two plugs, oil filter and crush washers. Maintenance wise nothing really goes wrong apart from the odd water pump. It's not a major job to fix (parts cos t25) but a pain in the arse with the stock oil return line, especially with abs

The stock suspension is adequate and it handles just fine, however a upgrade at both ends is so worth it

If I was in the market for a f650 the two biggest questions would be when was the water pump replaced and has the fuel filter been replaced. There's not much else that goes wrong. Mine has done 30k and the only two things I've had to do other than routine maintenance has been the water pump and the fuel filter / pressure regulator.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #6070
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
The two most overlooked bikes when people are thinking about adv thumper are the Yamaha WR250R and the Husqvarna TE610/630.

I have owned all two plus the Dakar. I encourage you to look into those two bikes as well. If I had to pick one bike all over again, I'd take one of the two over the Dakar. (of course that depends heavily on the type of riding you want to do)
http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1Alaska.htm
http://www.bigdogadventures.com/Huachinera.htm

Quote:

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #6071
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:

Unless you plan on doing the fork swap and a nice shock on the back I would not pick the BMW. If i had to do it over again I would have done the Ohlins rear shock with yz front forks lowered 2 inches and kept my CA plated wr450.
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #6072
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Ok here it goes, the obligatory questions about a future purchase regarding a BMW Dakar. I am trying to decide on which dual sport to buy with the usual suspects being the Dakar, KTM 640 ADV, and the KLR. My main question I would like to put out there to the Dakar crowd specifically, because I know you will correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me that the KLR and the 640 ADV are the two ends of the performance vs. comfort spectrum, as well as the maintenance (cost of ownership) spectrum. From my months of research (i.e. drooling over all of your pictures and posts) I have brought myself the conclusion that the Dakar might be the happy medium. It would appear that a Dakar could carry my 6’2, 260 lbs. frame in some comfort for 200-300 mi. days as well as being able to handle some dirt and gravel thrashing on the weekends.

Let me know if my conclusion has any merit, or you can just make fun of me asking a question I’m sure you have answered many times. I can take some abuse. I am starting to get a taste for some Beemer Kool-aid, just want to make sure my current lust is somewhat founded in reason.
One additional thing to consider is where you will ride it. I live at sea level and enjoy riding mountain passes. It is great having a fuel injected bike and not dealing with re-jetting etc. Some might say there is no need to re-jet for higher passes for occasional riding but sure is nice to have the same performance all the time (as best as elevation will allow that is). Some guys have no problem with re-jetting a bike and do it quick and painlessly. I just don't like working on things that much. And my mpg is 61-65 on average. So that is one thing to consider.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #6073
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
max tire size?

I'm running a 140x18 rear tire. There was only about a cm of clearance when I put it on with the chain just slack enough. Lojack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #6074
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Thanks but I don't think that the picture below is correct for an 06?

But then again I am the one asking the question so what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
The turn signal relay is under the faux plastic tank in front of the battery, along with a few other relays. You see that black plastic cover in between the battery and headstock, its under there

Hope that helps you.

Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #6075
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I'm running a 140x18 rear tire. There was only about a cm of clearance when I put it on with the chain just slack enough. Lojack
In theory that it should still be OK. The 150 should add 5mm to the side.

In a perfect world that is!