Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #6736
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Hey guys I just bought some used TT parts on Ebay. I didn't need them all but it can as a set. They are going in the flea market but I wanted to give everyone a heads up. asking half of what they are new

TT head light guard 05 and up.

TT skid plate extension for the stock skid plate to fill the gap
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...A-and-GS-Dakar

TT foot pegs that come with the peg relocation kit
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...air-and-G650GS
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #6737
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Its worth it if you have a stock Dakar and want to put some goodies on it. I would transfer over most of the parts including the headlight and TT computer. I would not transfer the body work of rear sub frame because it cant carry and weight. If I didnt want to carry anything then i would throw the back side on the bike as well. I would sell whats left of it plus all my stock parts from the dakar on ebay and ADV. You should be able to make 3K off all that at least. So for 5,500 I would have the forks, shock, all the guards, peg relocation, nice set of wheels,HID headlight with bracket and TT computer, chain guard etc. If you already have some TT39 tanks then your pretty much at an F650RR at this point for only 5500.
This bike actually comes with a bunch of spare parts. Some one bought the suspension and wheels off of another kit and they were including those parts in the price. Basicly a second rear subframe and fiberglass body work, seat and exhaust. They pulled the headlight assembly from these parts and that the one on Ebay right now. The exhaust might fit another F650 but the rest of the parts don't have much value unless you want spare parts in case of a crash.
It had no mirrors, the brake lights didn't work, it needed some hand gaurds IMO and I'd have to lower it a little ( I'm short) So I'd be into it for $500 more than the $8500.
I offered them $7000, thinking $7500 was a fair price. They desided it was some ultra desirable rare bike ( that they had way to much money into ) And said it was $8500 firm. I said I couldn't go above $8000 for a 10 year old F650. They pretty much told me they'd rather let it rot in thier back room for another 6 years.
So there you are. I think I want to test ride an X challenge, put that rally fairing and tank on it and it's a bit more my style anyway. Still WP suspention and all those other nice bits...

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #6738
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Are you keeping a running total on weight difference?
no not a total but i figure im dropping weight little by little. i hope the fork swap drops more weight. i think i read it drops about 4lbs?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #6739
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Well done. What year yz forks and triples work and is it possible to keep the stock front wheel to retain the abs? Thanks.
yea check out the write up on yamaha forks on the dakar section. i read the whole thing from end to end which was a lot but worth it. i got yz426 forks for mine.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #6740
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
Speeking of money to burn

I was just in Touratech looking at there Oryx they have for sale.
it was a nice bike, built on the frame of a fire damaged 2002 F650 with low millage (salvage title)
Thed did weigh it on thier digital scale, 375 lbs ( not 341 lbs like the cataloge claims) still, pretty good for an F650
HID high beam, some carbon fiber bits, over all a nice package....but what's it worth?
Yes the Oryx Kit cost $12,000. That's why they only ever sold one kit ( that bike had beed disasembeled since)
I did make an offer on the bike, and I think I hurt thier feelings
They said it was collectable and rare. I got the impretion they wanted to raise the asking price!
I like this bike but I can't pay $8500 for a ten year old F650 with a salvage title no matter if it has WP suspension and Excel rims.
At that entery fee I'm thinking a nice X challenge would be WAY cheaper , or even a ktm 690E
both of those bikes would be lighter and easier to find parts for.
Am I wrong? is this collectable? Is $8500 a deal?
The bike itself in stiock form is worth $2500 max. Having already built two separate full Carbon/Kevlar body kits for the my Dakar, and having been in that business for 18 years, I can tell you that the body work is worth maybe $1000, no more. And, I can't believe they charge over $4000 for the suspension components when I did my whole Yammie swap for less than $400 and Herrhelmet has the WP on his and my bike eats his for lunch in the rough stuff and fast whoops.

Is it worth $8500. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck No! And as you said it's not very light, because they did the package and rebuild completley wrong if they were shooting for a performance mod. By the way, the body kit is not Caron Fiber, It's FG, 100%, except for maybe the fairing and for sure the skidplate. And the skidplate is simply one layer of 2x2 Carbon/Kevlar twill over a 95% FG part. Piece of Shit!

Is it a collectors item? Define collectors item? Collectors item as in an item that a collector holds for it's oddities, like a two headed snake? Or a collectors item that a collector holds because it was supreme, like a Porsche Platypus? Obviously the former in the caser of this bike.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #6741
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Is it worth $8500. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck No! And as you said it's not very light, because they did the package and rebuild completley wrong if they were shooting for a performance mod. By the way, the body kit is not Caron Fiber, It's FG, 100%, except for maybe the fairing and for sure the skidplate. And the skidplate is simply one layer of 2x2 Carbon/Kevlar twill over a 95% FG part. Piece of Shit!

Is it a collectors item? Define collectors item? Collectors item as in an item that a collector holds for it's oddities, like a two headed snake? Or a collectors item that a collector holds because it was supreme, like a Porsche Platypus? Obviously the former in the caser of this bike.[/QUOTE]

For some wierd reason the rear inner fender is CF as well. The CF skid plate kind of looked like more of a splash gaurd, like it would shatter it ever hit anything. But yup mostly FG. The spare body parts are super rough as well. Diesel Chevettes are rare as well, that doesn't make 'em valuable.
Thanks for the input Rob. Find a cheap F650,Yamaha forks , ohlins shock, exhaust and tear everything off that doesn't make it go down the road.

redbastard screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 03:52 PM
Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #6742
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Speeking of money to burn

I was just in Touratech looking at there Oryx they have for sale.
it was a nice bike, built on the frame of a fire damaged 2002 F650 with low millage (salvage title)
Thed did weigh it on thier digital scale, 375 lbs ( not 341 lbs like the cataloge claims) still, pretty good for an F650
HID high beam, some carbon fiber bits, over all a nice package....but what's it worth?
Yes the Oryx Kit cost $12,000. That's why they only ever sold one kit ( that bike had beed disasembeled since)
I did make an offer on the bike, and I think I hurt thier feelings
They said it was collectable and rare. I got the impretion they wanted to raise the asking price!
I like this bike but I can't pay $8500 for a ten year old F650 with a salvage title no matter if it has WP suspension and Excel rims.
At that entery fee I'm thinking a nice X challenge would be WAY cheaper , or even a ktm 690E
both of those bikes would be lighter and easier to find parts for.
Am I wrong? is this collectable? Is $8500 a deal?

For 12 grand I'd let them keep it in "their collection". Takes a lot of nerve to build a collectable from a "salvaged" titled frame.

I'd love to have a KTM690R.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #6743
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Having already built two separate full Carbon/Kevlar body kits for the my Dakar, and having been in that business for 18 years, I can tell you that the body work is worth maybe $1000, no more.
So you will do a third one for me for $1000 plus beer?
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #6744
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
For 12 grand I'd let them keep it in "their collection". Takes a lot of nerve to build a collectable from a "salvaged" titled frame.

I'd love to have a KTM690R.

Thier price for this bike is $8500. Originaly they were trying to sell these as Kit Bikes for $12,000. They sold one kit 8 years ago. FYI that kit was pulled of the bike and is sitting in a box at an East coast BMW dealership. I figure they could probably stip this bike and get about $6000 for the parts. Sounds like a lot of work. You'd think they'd be doing them selves a favor by selling it to a local that would actually ride the thing, year round, to dirt bike and dual sport events. I'm usually the first one to try to ride something on thier big dual sport. I'd say it would be good advertising for them except I'd have all the Touratech decals off it as soon as I got the F'ing thing home.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #6745
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

pay attention :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
So you will do a third one for me for $1000 plus beer?

You haven't been paying attention. A little body work plus some suspension parts = a $12,000 kit

Oh and I forgot, they'd be rare collectables
Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #6746
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Having already built two separate full Carbon/Kevlar body kits for the my Dakar, .
two??? We've only seen one, I believe......
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #6747
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
2005 F650GS Dakar in West Seattle

Red, I'm in West Seattle and thinking about selling my 2005 Dakar. I'm back and forth because of the money I've invested in it but I'm thinking of an R1200GS when I return from overseas next summer. If you're interested in checking it out, e-mail me at cboon@comcast.net.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #6748
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
You haven't been paying attention. A little body work plus some suspension parts = a $12,000 kit

Oh and I forgot, they'd be rare collectables
No offense, nobody cares about no stinking TT kit...
We all have our suspension upgrade and we are LUSTING for something like this from rob (for $1000).

Actually, I do want to piss on TT junks a bit... collectable..? yeah, probably for display, what's the last time you see on the road/trail?
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #6749
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
No offense, nobody cares about no stinking TT kit...
We all have our suspension upgrade and we are LUSTING for something like this from rob (for $1000).

Actually, I do want to piss on TT junks a bit... collectable..? yeah, probably for display, what's the last time you see on the road/trail?

This thing is sweet.

Hey those TT boys are all right. I'm just a working stiff and so not part of thier marketing campaine. I may not be a carbon fiber expert ( although I wish I were) I've made stuff with a hack saw and draw file you would swear was out of a cnc machine. I think everyone on this forum knows a little about making due, and custom fitting of one off parts.

redbastard screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 05:40 AM
Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #6750
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Its worth it if you have a stock Dakar and want to put some goodies on it. I would transfer over most of the parts including the headlight and TT computer. I would not transfer the body work of rear sub frame because it cant carry and weight. If I didnt want to carry anything then i would throw the back side on the bike as well. I would sell whats left of it plus all my stock parts from the dakar on ebay and ADV. You should be able to make 3K off all that at least. So for 5,500 I would have the forks, shock, all the guards, peg relocation, nice set of wheels,HID headlight with bracket and TT computer, chain guard etc. If you already have some TT39 tanks then your pretty much at an F650RR at this point for only 5500.
Yeah, but regardless if you already had it, you'd still have to add $2500 to the total for the TT39 kit

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote